Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Most loan officers my age who I know, didn't go to college and some don't even have a diploma
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #17
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit
finance

some of the accounting classes are similar to each other. so it is better to just take them at the same time.

I don't have a finance class at my college. I have Economics though. Is that good to take if you want to be a full scale investment broker?

Should I just take Economics and every financially related class they offer?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #18
exit
I brick open layups

exit has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
I don't have a finance class at my college. I have Economics though. Is that good to take if you want to be a full scale investment broker?

Should I just take Economics and every financially related class they offer?

you can but it won't help you much in the future. better change school if it's not much of a trouble.
exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

I found accounting to actually be really easy. Boring as all hell, but it is simple. Finance was a bit harder but still not to that level where you actually had to waste time studying to get through it or anything, just enjoy uni and you will be doing the right thing, if you are really serious about working in some field then bust your butt, otherwise, just enjoy.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit
you can but it won't help you much in the future. better change school if it's not much of a trouble.

I know someone who is a full scale investment broker and he said he majored in Economics and got a business administration diploma.

Why wouldn't economics, help if it did for him?

You said take a finance class. What is the official name of the finance class?-Finance 111?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #21
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
I found accounting to actually be really easy. Boring as all hell, but it is simple. Finance was a bit harder but still not to that level where you actually had to waste time studying to get through it or anything, just enjoy uni and you will be doing the right thing, if you are really serious about working in some field then bust your butt, otherwise, just enjoy.

How many finance classes did you take? What were the names of all of them?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #22
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

Quote:
I know someone who is a full scale investment broker and he said he majored in Economics and got a business administration diploma.

Economics does help and it is harder than Finance. If I were an employer I would hire a person with an Eco degree over someone with a Finance degree (all other things being equal of course).

If you want to go into IB (I wouldn't recommend it) you should just pick the Economics units that are relevant.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
exit
I brick open layups

Quote:

You said take a finance class. What is the official name of the finance class?-Finance 111?

if you're really good and know what you're doing, it doesn't matter if you're majoring in accounting or finance or whatever. but if you don't, majoring in finance will help you understand more of what you will be doing in the business world as a finance major. one thing i can tell, if you wanna be a broker, try to get a hell out of school as soon as possible and get a good job in a good company to get the experience needed to become a good broker. of course in order to get a good job you need a good internship or work experiences while in school.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
exit
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
Economics does help and it is harder than Finance. If I were an employer I would hire a person with an Eco degree over someone with a Finance degree (all other things being equal of course).

If you want to go into IB (I wouldn't recommend it) you should just pick the Economics units that are relevant.

economics? well if you wanna be a professor or some sort of analyst then yes. majoring in ecnomics. but if you wanna be a broker then what you need is real life experience.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #25
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

Quote:
economics? well if you wanna be a professor or some sort of analyst then yes. majoring in ecnomics.
From what I've observed and heard (from relatives in the U.S.) Economics goes into much more detail than Finance. But you're right, the degree doesn't matter too much if ...
Quote:
but if you wanna be a broker then what you need is real life experience.
Good point.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #26
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:

Why wouldn't you recommend getting into IB? I'm still thinking about it though.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #27
Heilige
An Icon Forever

"I'm currently invested into a limited partnership that owns and operates some small apartment complexes and I'm buying out the interests of some of the other partners so I can have more influence and sway with respect to its direction. I will be moving onto doing that full-time.

Will probably take my stress level down a hundred notches, which is what I need (as instructed by wife). Also, this way i can manage my own investment portfolio without any conflict of interest.

If you're interested in the markets, then you need to educate yourself about them. Having a background in Economics and Accounting is quite handy."

This is who I was talking about. See what I mean?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #28
exit
I brick open layups

Quote:
"I'm currently invested into a limited partnership that owns and operates some small apartment complexes and I'm buying out the interests of some of the other partners so I can have more influence and sway with respect to its direction. I will be moving onto doing that full-time.

Will probably take my stress level down a hundred notches, which is what I need (as instructed by wife). Also, this way i can manage my own investment portfolio without any conflict of interest.

If you're interested in the markets, then you need to educate yourself about them. Having a background in Economics and Accounting is quite handy."

This is who I was talking about. See what I mean?

what you did not know is accounting and economics are always good to know. they're deep and can be useful in almost all types of business careers out there.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #29
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Finance is much harder than economics. I took summer courses in Finance at NYu and they are all math based. Economics is pretty much intuitive knowledge
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #30
exit
I brick open layups

it depends...on the person...please don't start arguing which is harder now
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: