Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default A great Catch off the Brook!

I understand selecting Rose, Beasley and maybe Mayo, but picking Gallianari, Gordon,Westbrook, Love over Lopez?
Atleast he is in good company as 10th pick with the likes of Caron Butler, Paul Pierce and Bynum.
Brook is 2nd among the top rookies with most double-doubles, behind only to TOP draft choice the previous year Greg Oden ( who is technically a rookie bec he didn't play a single game last year). Oden was hailed as a future hall of famer, yet if you look at the stats, they are very comparable.

RK NAME GP MPG PPG RPG APG STPG BLKPG DblDbl TriDlb
1 Greg Oden, POR 16 22.1 7.9 7.8 0.8 0.4 1.6 7 0
2 Brook Lopez, NJN 19 26.9 9.6 7.5 0.7 0.6 1.7 4 0

Brook leads the rookies in blocks at 1.68, , 2nd in rebs at 7.5, Love drafted 5th is 10th
7th in FG %, Love ranked 17th.
Where I look at is also pts per attempts, sure Brook is at 11th place in scoring averages, but is not the focal pt of the offense, where Carter and Harris and Yi takes the bulk of the shots.
Mayo has 21 pts/game wow, only he needed 17 attempts to do it, yielding 1.23 pts per attempt.
Rose is 2nd 18 pts for every 15.4 shots= 1.20 pts per shot/game
Beasley is 3rd, 13.9 for every 12.7 shots=1.09 pts per shot/game
Westbrook is 4th 13.1 pts for every 12 shots= 1.08 pts per shot/game
Brook is at 11th with 9.6 pts for every 8 shots= 1.20 pts /shots/game.
Im not saying Brook is a future hall of famer, but so far, esp the last 13 games he is solid, stick that to the 9 other teams who selected the likes of Gallianari, Westbrook, K.LOve, Gordon and Augustine
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: A great Catch off the Brook!

Go Brook Lopez!!!
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

very nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
...sure Brook is at 11th place in scoring averages, but is not the focal pt of the offense, where Carter and Harris and Yi takes the bulk of the shots.
yes, although i think that everyone wants to get lopez more involved as soon as reasonably possible.

i'm still not exactly sure why lopez dropped from roughly top five to #10 shortly before the draft. maybe one day we'll read this story...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

It's a good thing Larry Brown wanted DJ Augustine, otherwise, the Bobcats would have gotten him right before us.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
very nice post.

yes, although i think that everyone wants to get lopez more involved as soon as reasonably possible.

i'm still not exactly sure why lopez dropped from roughly top five to #10 shortly before the draft. maybe one day we'll read this story...

some thought near the end of the Pac10 tournament that his rebounding was not up to NBA standards and that the best he could become is an Eddy Curry type player.

Not to mention coming from Stanford and being a twin....
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Something to do with him underachieving in the workouts with the other teams. Thats what I heard.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
some thought near the end of the Pac10 tournament that his rebounding was not up to NBA standards and that the best he could become is an Eddy Curry type player.

Not to mention coming from Stanford and being a twin....

It's really hard to gauge your rebounding when you have ANOTHER 7footer teammate, fully focussed on collecting those rebounds and playing defense.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if you saw tamaraw's NBA-section version of this thread you saw all these people saying "yea, lopez is outperforming player X drafted earlier than him but it's okay because lopez was considered NBA-ready while player X has a much higher ceiling. so i'd still prefer player X to lopez."

nowhere in that thread did i see someone mention that a huge number of teams that draft for potential never profit from it because the player in question is no longer with that team by the time the player finally reaches his potential. not to mention all the players who simply turn into busts.

so yea, we're supposed to feel foolish for picking lopez because lopez will wind up being more valuable than 2/3rds or more of other similar-ranked players. right. gotcha.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
It's a good thing Larry Brown wanted DJ Augustine, otherwise, the Bobcats would have gotten him right before us.
To this day, I have no idea what the Bobcats were thinking.

That decision - as good as I'm sure Augustin will be - will go down as another MJ draft blunder, along with his selections of Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison. I'm sure of it.

The Bobcats - more than any other team (including the Nets) - needed a true Center in that draft, yet they draft a point guard not 4 years after drafting a PG with a lottery choice. What does this say about Raymond Felton and their faith (or lack of it) in him? I don't care if DJ Augustin's potential is sky high, it just doesn't make sense.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
if you saw tamaraw's NBA-section version of this thread you saw all these people saying "yea, lopez is outperforming player X drafted earlier than him but it's okay because lopez was considered NBA-ready while player X has a much higher ceiling. so i'd still prefer player X to lopez."

nowhere in that thread did i see someone mention that a huge number of teams that draft for potential never profit from it because the player in question is no longer with that team by the time the player finally reaches his potential. not to mention all the players who simply turn into busts.

so yea, we're supposed to feel foolish for picking lopez because lopez will wind up being more valuable than 2/3rds or more of other similar-ranked players. right. gotcha.
I agree and gave you your 3rd bar
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
I agree and gave you your 3rd bar
gracias, seņor.

and woot, i'm going to northern peru on tuesday!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
gracias, seņor.

and woot, i'm going to northern peru on tuesday!
Yo dont forget my pics
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

We're witnessing a dominant center in future NBA...
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, was it Frederick Weiss, the 7 footer from France? Whose that 7 footer drafted by Indiana out of high school who was mobile and shoots a ton of perimeter shots? I can probably name more than 20 players with "great potential" but didn't panned out if I have the time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: