Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation
Default As promised, my official NBA Live 07 review

Hi guys. Just got Live 07 for PC. Here are my initial impressions after about 2 days of playing for a couple select areas....I will add more as I play more

Bugs
The Live series is famous for a sh&t load of bugs, and 07 really takes the cake in this regard. First of all, if you play a game, the CPU will NOT substitute. The opponent will generally play its starting lineup for literally every single minute of a quarter except for very rare exceptions. Doesn't matter if you get 3 fouls in the first quarter, or you literally have no energy left. In the games that I played, the entire opposing starting lineup had 3-5 fouls and 0 energy left in the 4th quarter, yet the CPU will NOT substitute.

Guard domination
Already a huge problem in 06 where the opposing PG would absolutely torch you on almost every occasion. Well, the brilliant EA Sports developers decided to take that to an entirely new level this time. Now, the opposing PG will shoot almost EVERY single possession...its absolutely nuts. Half of the time, he will drive and try to get the call. The other half of the time, he will pop up for a fade away 20ft. contested jumper. He rarely rarely passes. I played against the Bobcats, and Brevin Knight scored 55 points on 20/67 shooting (and these were on realistic sliders). Retarded. I spent an hour re-adjusting sliders so this would occur less, but it is still blatantly noticeable.

Superstar moves
Petarded. This one concept alone highlights the fundamental difference between Live and 2k7. In Live, somebody with a superstar mode (particularly outside scorers like the grossly overrated Shawn Marion in this game) will almost ALWAYS use it to shoot. It is absolutely ridiculous. Once, the opponent got out on the fast break and JJ was on the wing spotting up for a 3 (e.g. Suns style). In a moment of pure brillilance, JJ gets the ball and instead of shooting a pretty little set shot (like in real life), he does this retarded little "outside scorer" move in which he basically twists his entire body around, scissor kicks his legs, and flares his arms out in a wild but supposedly "cool" looking shot attempt. Of course, knowing NBA Live, it goes in.

Rebounding
Again, a huge problem in the past Live series. People literally spent hours adjusting sliders to get realistic rebounding numbers. To fix this problem in 07, the developers apparently decided to make rebounding even more obscure in the hopes that little kids would prefer to see acrobatic offensive rebounds that lead to alley-oops instead of a realistic defensive board. For example, I once took control of Tim Duncan and situated myself firmly near the basket in anticipation of the opposing PG launching a horrendous shot (read pt. #2). When the shot bounced off the rim, I naturally boxed out and jumped up for a defensive rebound (something that would have worked in Live 06). However, in 07, jumping up for a rebound can under certain circumstances cause your player to do retarded things. Basically, Tim SHOULD have jumped straight up and gotten the board, but instead he jumped all the way out towards the free throw line....thus resulting in ANOTHER offensive board by the opposing team (35 in total for that game). Idiocy.

Dynasty Mode
In some ways, it improved since you have more detailed control over your team. However, they really took what was good about previous dynasties and basically mashed them up into a piece of sh&t. Take your PDA for example. In previous years, everything was nicely organized into different sections, such as Coaching/Owner/Trades/etc. Now, EVERY piece of news you get is compressed into one massively long unorganized piece of sh&t list. So if I get 10 new messages, it will no longer be organized by category. Now, it will just be a nearly unreadable list of 10 new messages. To top it off, unread messages are in "charcoal grey", while read messages are in "black". What kind of retard thought this up. Seriously?

**Note, these are just initial impressions after 2 days of playing. There ARE a few improvements over past years, but it really is trivial compared to blatant holes in gameplay this time. More to come.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

NBA Live is garbage. everyone should buy 2K7.

the only time that I could POSSIBLY get a realistic game going was when I created a pseudo All Star team revamped the bench with role players, adjusted the sliders, and PURPOSELY limited my own scoring to achieve a realistic final score in a 48 minute game.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
NBAEMoreira022
ISH Insider

NBAEMoreira022 has an OK reputation so far

I don't buy Basketball games for CPU. It's a waste of time. I played Live 2004 before and it was horrible.
NBAEMoreira022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default ...

I've played both the Live series & 2K series for the XBox 360 and let me tell you, the difference between both games is crazy.

2K is literally better in every facet of the game, from rebounding, passing, post moves, etc.

I wanted to give Live a chance, and truth be told I was rooting for them. However, the product they put out is just not as good as 2K'.

2K = NBA

Live = NBDL

Don't make the mistake of buying the Live series, folks.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

for the record, I did not buy 07. In fact, I have never bought a single Live series game since 2002 (though I have had and played them all)
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

Wouldn't be fly if 2k had Olympic mode? Have the USA's jerseys and other countries teams? or even have dream team mode where you can play all USA's former teams? They'd never get the rights for that though..
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

I really wish 2kSports would bring their game to the PC. I haven't bought an NBA Live the last couple of years because of how incomplete the game is.

I just can't believe that after 15+ years of making basketball games, EA releases this kind of garbage. They should just stop making basketball simulations.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLandOATES
Wouldn't be fly if 2k had Olympic mode? Have the USA's jerseys and other countries teams? or even have dream team mode where you can play all USA's former teams? They'd never get the rights for that though..

Live 06 does. its a mod called "NTeams" that has the complete national team rosters, uniforms, faces, and courts for dozens of international countries. Unfortunately, its basically obsolete if you want to play as the US, since its only the international roster circa 2004.

BTW, I often play exhibition matches with old US rosters and using the old NJ Nets jersey (with the red white and blue stars) by creating my own rosters via Roster Management. Usually, though, I'm short one or two players since guys like Chris Mullin or Mitch Richmond aren't in the game as legends.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nader, is this for PS2/XBox, or are you talking about for the 360? Just curious.

EDIT: yeah just saw it. lol
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Ghost_Delay
Decent playground baller

Ghost_Delay has an OK reputation so far

What about the (non CPU) gameplay & the graphics?
Ghost_Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
I really wish 2kSports would bring their game to the PC. I haven't bought an NBA Live the last couple of years because of how incomplete the game is.

Me too. This year I decided to go without an NBA game (for the first time in forever) because I cant buy a 360 just so I can play 2K and I'm not buying Live 07 because EA is disgraceful. I feel so left out.
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

live 07 is absolutely terrible
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Delay
What about the (non CPU) gameplay & the graphics?

Graphics
Pretty sh&tty. Again, this exemplifies how EA Sports caters to console gamers, and does not even begin to take advantage of a PC's inherent advantage (the best ability to adjust detail and graphics extensively). Seriously, XBOX360 can't compare to my PC in terms of capability, yet us PC gamers continuously watered down version of Live that contains only the bare minimum of graphics adjustments. The moving jerseys, the sweat, the increased textures, are all missing from the PC version, even though the developers could very well have made a fully adjustable PC version that would have been playable on midrange and high end machines.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
raekwon
Don Demarco

raekwon has an OK reputation so far

Couldn't agree more, hopefully Live 08 is next-gen for PC...
raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: