Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool
Default Vince has to stay assertive

I've been noticing it for some time, and I've kept quiet about it. But, after watching the first quarter of this game against the Raptors, the issue is beginning to boil within me.

I feel like he's been winging it the past few games. Not driving to the basket enough, settling for bad shots, taking the easy way out. 12 shots per game is not enough for him. I don't care what he or Frank say. When he takes only 12 shots and scores 14 points, it's puts even more pressure on our defense (which sucks) and limits our chances of winning. That's one reason why I think we've been shaky since the West Coast trip.

He and Devin are supposed to share the "go-to-guy" role. As of now, I feel like he's relying on Devin too much. Devin's emergence does not mean he can relax and do a "little bit of everything." No, he has to be aggressive and score the damn basketball, because that's his job. I'm fine with Vince taking the passenger's seat to Devin. But right now, he's settling in the back seat.

I really don't like it when he gets into these phases. It's ok if he has a bad shooting night, but the intent has to be there. Like the T-wolves game, he only scored 18, but his intent was there. He attacked and stayed aggressive the entire way. Even after the game, he said "We have to be like this every game." So do it, Vince. Practice what you preach, and do it every game.

Maybe this was just a bad stretch of games for him. Maybe he's been out of sync. Who knows? But, I just feel that his level of aggressiveness the past few games has been subpar. Hopefully, he'll turn it around.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 12-12-2008 at 09:25 PM.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Vince has to stay assertive

I see it as well.

Cannot pinpoint it to anything specifically. He isn't injured.

The only thing could be jealousy. But since Frank speaks so much about how selfless Carter is and what a great leader he is, it can only be one thing:

Carter knows he is going to get shipped away from the Nets very soon and that Harris is supplanting him as the face of the franchise.

either that or his daughter has some kind of big illness... or he lost custody to his ex-wife.... or.....

a multitude of personal issues.

still, he does need to be more assertive.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

The first half of this game is what I'm talking about. 0-5 shooting. Settling for jumpshots, lazily turning it over, and sulking.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 12-12-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was just about to post a thread about him... I can't take him anymore... what the hell is he doing out there? He is dribbling it like he want's the ball to bobble out of his hands... Please VC don't quit on us... please!
Nets fan 93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

Lol! Jesus Christ. Guys please, let's not get carried away.

Tonight was the worst shooting performance of any I've ever witnessed from a star player, but to say Vince wasn't trying is a joke. The Raptors played a style of Zone-D tonight that simply stopped the Nets getting to the hoop - hence all the jumpshots. If you watched the game, you'd realise EVERYBODY was missing. Keyon went 1-10 and the team shot 31%. For Vince to go 0-13 is a fluke. Nothing else. These freakish stat lines happen from time to time. They do in all sports.

As for VC being jealous of Devin, or knowing that he's about to be traded, or being pre-occupied with personal issues....guys, do you realise how paranoid that sounds? Tonight's game aside, what do you have to base any of that on? The fact that he hasn't been lighting it up over the last 2-3 games? Well I propose two logical reasons for that - Devin has been on a tear, and VC has had a couple of bad games. Everybody is allowed them.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
Lol! Jesus Christ. Guys please, let's not get carried away.

Tonight was the worst shooting performance of any I've ever witnessed from a star player, but to say Vince wasn't trying is a joke. The Raptors played a style of Zone-D tonight that simply stopped the Nets getting to the hoop - hence all the jumpshots. If you watched the game, you'd realise EVERYBODY was missing. Keyon went 1-10 and the team shot 31%. For Vince to go 0-13 is a fluke. Nothing else. These freakish stat lines happen from time to time. They do in all sports.

As for VC being jealous of Devin, or knowing that he's about to be traded, or being pre-occupied with personal issues....guys, do you realise how paranoid that sounds? Tonight's game aside, what do you have to base any of that on? The fact that he hasn't been lighting it up over the last 2-3 games? Well I propose two logical reasons for that - Devin has been on a tear, and VC has had a couple of bad games. Everybody is allowed them.

I'm not only gearing it towards this game. In the past few games, Vince has been passive.

It's not about having bad nights, they happen to everyone obviously. As I said before, I don't care how many points he scores, as long as his intent is there. Watch some of the road games, the West coast trip, and compare them to the past few games. The aggression level difference from Vince is unequivocal. Like I said, Vince can score 4 points and go 1-13, and I'll be content if most of those are missed layups or shots off of paint attacks and aggression. Right now, he's just settling.

Free throw attempts are sometimes a good indication of how aggressive someone is. Notice how Devin's free throws are consistently high. For Vince, it's a different story.

And saying that he's being double teamed or the other team is playing zone is an excuse. If playing zone automatically led to only jumpshots, every team would do it. If double teaming the other team's star player automatically led to him having a bad night, every team would do it. Even Devin is starting to see double teams, but he's fighting through it. Need to see it more from Vince.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 12-12-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
...Vince can score 4 points and go 1-13, and I'll be content if most of those are missed layups or shots off of paint attacks and aggression. Right now, he's just settling.
I know what you're saying but I don't think his lack of shots at the rim have been because of a lack of effort. I think it's because teams are slowly working out ways of dealing with Devin's drives and layups and subsequent free-throw attempts. In our last few games - hell, even against the Knicks - we've come up against defenses with bigs clogging the paint in zones, so to protect the basket. O'Neal, Bosh, and Bargnani did that tonight. Instead of changing things up for when the ball is out of Devin's hands, teams have been sticking with that defense - which forces a LOT of jumpers from our shooters. It just so happens that Vince is our best shooter so he is taking (and missing) a lot of these shots.

It's a fine line as far as he's concerned though. If he takes too many shots, and misses them, it effects his confidence and that of his team mates. If he doesn't take enough, he's seen to not be trying hard enough.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
I know what you're saying but I don't think his lack of shots at the rim have been because of a lack of effort. I think it's because teams are slowly working out ways of dealing with Devin's drives and layups and subsequent free-throw attempts. In our last few games - hell, even against the Knicks - we've come up against defenses with bigs clogging the paint in zones, so to protect the basket. O'Neal, Bosh, and Bargnani did that tonight. Instead of changing things up for when the ball is out of Devin's hands, teams have been sticking with that defense - which forces a LOT of jumpers from our shooters. It just so happens that Vince is our best shooter so he is taking (and missing) a lot of these shots.

It's a fine line as far as he's concerned though. If he takes too many shots, and misses them, it effects his confidence and that of his team mates. If he doesn't take enough, he's seen to not be trying hard enough.

He's giving effort in other areas like rebounding, grabbing loose balls, and "doing a little bit of everything" like I said before. And I give him credit for that. It shows that he wants to be versatile. But, when the team is trailing, and Devin is either on the bench, not shooting well, or worn out, Vince must step in and carry the team. If he doesn't want to score, as least drive and kick. But the job of the star or the "go-to-guy" is to create a shot in some way.

I think that's what makes this offense great, a dual-attack. If we have both Devin and Vince taking turns with the ball, it makes it that much harder for the other team. Also, Keyon would add another dimension since he's starting to attack the paint as well.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
He's giving effort in other areas like rebounding, grabbing loose balls, and "doing a little bit of everything" like I said before. And I give him credit for that. It shows that he wants to be versatile. But, when the team is trailing, and Devin is either on the bench, not shooting well, or worn out, Vince must step in and carry the team. If he doesn't want to score, as least drive and kick. But the job of the star or the "go-to-guy" is to create a shot in some way.

I think that's what makes this offense great, a dual-attack. If we have both Devin and Vince taking turns with the ball, it makes it that much harder for the other team. Also, Keyon would add another dimension since he's starting to attack the paint as well.
In that sense, I agree.

I also think the buck goes even further than Devin and Vince though....right down the line to guys like Yi, Bobby, and Ryan. They have the physical attributes to attack the rim a little more too, but again like I said, it's all about how the other team matches up on D. Horses for courses really.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

Carter needs to drive and drive and drive. Keep the ****ing ball, don't lose the dribble and just attack. Once you made a couple of points in the paint then you can pass it out and get others involved. 0-13 is ****ing pathetic for a Captain. I want a 35point+ (with 10free throws attempts) game tomorrow. IT better be a bound back.

Dooling was just chucking he does it a LOT it's annoying but he has hit big shots.
rknine15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
Aussie_Net
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Aussie_Net has an OK reputation so far

I think Vince read this
Aussie_Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: