Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
RiseUpAtlanta
I hit open layups

RiseUpAtlanta has an OK reputation so far
Default OT: Vick over LT: Right choice???

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, who got the better of the trade of the number one pick in the NFL, in which the Falcons chose Mike Vick and the Chargers got Tomlinson???
RiseUpAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation
Default LT vs. Vick

The Chargers. LT is the undisputed best running back in the NFL. Vick isn't the best QB in the NFL. Most likely not even top 3.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
West-Side
Decent college freshman

West-Side has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, Vick is a top 5 QB in this game to me...Manning, Palmer, Hasselback, McNabb and Vick...Tomlinson is the undisputed best RB...I know everyone would rather have an elite QB over an elite RB...but Tomlinson also can catch the ball, even throw the ball...Vick is a better scrambler then passer.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

From a business standpoint, I believe it worked out better for the Falcons. I don't have any factual data, but I think it's safe to say that Vick has brought a whole new atmosphere to the organization as well the sports fans in Atlanta. Wasn't his jersey #1 in sales at one point?

You could argue that LT is a better player than Vick, but I don't think that the Falcons organization regret the move one bit.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
RiseUpAtlanta
I hit open layups

I hear you lil stevie....LT is better at his position than Vick is at his...but Vick has taken his team much farther (has LT even been to the playoffs???) Vick is also much more marketable and, in my opinion, sells more tickets and merchandise than LT does, so he has probably been more valuable to his franchise financially than LT has been for his. Vick has been branded the NFL's most exciting player and has redefined his position...but his main attribute as stated earlier is his record as a starter.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
RiseUpAtlanta
I hit open layups

Dang Tarik....I guess great minds think alike, but you type faster lol
Old 09-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is a 5 star post! The board is on fire today!
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default ...

I believe the deal also enabled the Chargers to draft Breese as well.

Breese is not the playmaker Vick is, however he's a better quarterback.

Folks, Tomlinson is a better football player than Vick. He can control the clock, he can block, he's caught 100 balls in a season, he scores TD's. Proven he can even throw the football on occasion.

Vick runs around & creates thingg, but his passing is unproven. His highest completion% is 56. He's never thrown for 20TDs or even 3000 yards. I'll never understand how you can take that over the player Tomlinson is.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
RiseUpAtlanta
I hit open layups

Let me also make one valid point...to all those who complain that Vick is not an accurate passer....

VICK MAKES PLAYS. That's the job of a playmaker, that's the job of a QB. Move the chains. WHO CARES if he does it by land or by air? It could be argued that the Falcons' run game is a better weapon than the pass because it eats clock, tires and demoralizes the D more, and keeps the ball out of the other team's offense. They also set up the play action pass lovely with all the focus on Dunn, Vick, and the fullback. It's a great game plan, it's working (the Falcons are the No. 1 rushing team in the NFL 3rd year in a row) and as long as they stay humble unlike last year, they can go far with it.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

LT is probably the league's best RB. But Vick's position makes him the right choice. LT may even be a better player than Vick, but with Vick on the field the Falcons win or atleast have a chance to.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

LT has been to the playoffs.
Quote:
VICK MAKES PLAYS.

he also breaks them. he is too boom and bust to be relied on. he is nothing more than a revved up version of Randle Cunningham.

give me LT any day of the week.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

I love both players but LT is the absolute best RB..the best all around player in the NFL.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Drew Brees doesnt even play there no more. SD didnt want him two times. One time they kept him, the 2nd time they peaced him out. So he cant be used into this equation at all. And people saying Vick aint the best QB whereas LT is the best RB? What type of bogus argument is that? Vick is among the games top impact players. You cant argue nor deny that. What he does with his arm and feet is better than having a #1 ranking at QB. He isnt a prototypical QB. He is a playmaker and without him the Atlanta Falcons wouldnt be playoff contenders.

I think the deal was good for both teams. Got 2 exciting players that if we ranked the top players in the game who impact thier teams both would be top 5. Anyone see that run for a TD by Vick as he outran that LB to the corner of the endzone? Come on. Tiki and Shaun have had better years than LT but still he ranks #1. Ask yourself why and its the same damn argument/reason for Vick not being #1 at QB.

In a game that has changed and evolved you cant look at Vick as you would Manning. Look at what they do for thier teams and the impact they have. Its comparable. We would love for Vick to be able to disect secondaries weekly. But its not a reality so get over it. Vick passing for 300 and running for 125? How realistic is that really? For 16 weeks? Playoffs? Vick just solely passing? Why? Guy can make things happen no other QB can with his legs. Mcnabb can use his legs damn good but Vick runs like an elite RB out there. The cuts and ability to maintain speed, kick it into high gear.

LT is a phenominal RB because to me there isnt anything he cant do. But Vick is a playmaker. Trade good for both teams. Worked out for everyone.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No loser. SD got what they needed and so did Atlanta. Not like hes sucked in Atlanta or anything. Just has bad QB numbers. But he gets the ball down the field and had some post season success. And lets not pretend Vick has had great weapons. Peerless Price is the best reciever hes had and he looked so good in Buffalo(one season) mostly beause of Moulds. He wasnt exactly dominant there either.

Today vick had like 90 passing yards but his 127 rushing yards and TD probably are the reason they won. He threw a TD and ran for one. Was all his teams points depite bad QB numbers. I think the Falcons will take it. Just cant judge him by normal QB standards.

Calling him a bad QB is like calling Ben Wallace a bad center. neither are exactly traditional. But they get the job done. QBs job isnt to pass. Its to get the ball down the field. If it gets there hes doing his job.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
RiseUpAtlanta
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
LT has been to the playoffs.

he also breaks them. he is too boom and bust to be relied on. he is nothing more than a revved up version of Randle Cunningham.

My statement still holds validity. Vick has led his team farther than LT has taken his (NFC championship game).

Also, the win-loss record with him in the lineup can't be ignored. His won-loss record speaks as much about his reliability as his positive/negative plays.

I also give you also the example of Barry Sanders...there were many more "reliable" backs than him in terms of getting positive yardage every down...doesn't mean they were better backs because for every 3 or 4 losses Sanders would bust a big one on you. You'd pass on Barry Sanders for John Riggins?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: