Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Default ESPN Ranks Raps 6th in the east:):):):)

offseason moves

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

6. TORONTO RAPTORS

The best word to describe the first Bryan Colangelo offseason in Toronto? Decisive. Colangelo knew exactly how he wanted to remake the Raptors and did it quickly, bringing in nine new players. Five of them (No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani, swingman Jorge Garbajosa, Maccabi Tel Aviv star Anthony Parker, veteran center Rasho Nesterovic and 2005 second-round selection Uros Slokar) were either born in Europe or starred there, with Colangelo convinced that players accustomed to more cosmopolitan surroundings will adapt better to Canada than young Americans would.

Will it work?

I definitely wouldn't expect a playoff berth in Year 1, after so many changes and given the inevitable struggles awaiting the NBA newcomers, but the plan already has won Chris Bosh over. The Raps' franchise forward signed a three-year contract extension in July and actually applauded that risky big-for-small trade because Ford is one of his best friends.

Here is the whole Eastern Conference offseason moves ratings:)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2586126

Last edited by HalphbreedBaller : 09-17-2006 at 11:09 PM.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

6th in offseason moves mind you. It's nice to get some recognition though
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Targus™
Good college starter

it is pretty obvious judging by the talent on this team, they are going to make the playoffs. question is...do they have the depth to get past the first round?
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

not to shabby, nice to see were getting reconition
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
it is pretty obvious judging by the talent on this team, they are going to make the playoffs. question is...do they have the depth to get past the first round?
It's not obvious to me. What are you seeing that I don't?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28 AM   #6
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Actually Targus, most would say that this year Toronto has more depth than it has had for many years. Yet the talent level is not high enough to warrant playoff predictions imo.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 AM   #7
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

what i saw last year:

a team comprised of 3rd year chris bosh, mike james, mo pete and rookie charlie v. no bench, no center, and a point guard who's style of play ensures we're on the losing end of many games.

somehow, we got 27 wins last year... somehow we beat NBA level teams 27 times last season... i'm still not sure how...

this is what i see this year:

a real bench that has depth up front and shooters at all positions but center. a real center... bosh no longer has to spend energy playing D on guys who weigh 30+ lbs more than he does. a point guard who's goal is not to pad is own stats, but to get others involved, spread the ball around and be a leader.

oh yea, and our allstar is another year older and will most likely increase his averages from last season... much like he's done every year he's been in the league. i'm really not impressed with the majority of PF's in the eastern conference and i'm confident he's going to tear them to shreds.

i just flat out don't believe bosh gets the respect he deserves... any other allstar's team would have been given more credit, and we just completed a major overhaul, and most predict we will be 2-3 wins better than last season at bes.t
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

i personally think they should have been ranked higher than 6th...i think it should have been Bulls, Indy, Toronto
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
Tips4
High School Varsity 6th Man

Wow according to his rankings Wizards wont make the playoffs !! Wizards arent finishing lower than Top 6.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
Wow according to his rankings Wizards wont make the playoffs !! Wizards arent finishing lower than Top 6.

This isn't the predicted rankings. It's ranking of offseason moves and according to this, the Raps only had the 6th best rated moves in our conference. This means little, but still being only 6th on this list for a bad team isn't too much to get excited about.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
i just flat out don't believe bosh gets the respect he deserves... any other allstar's team would have been given more credit, and we just completed a major overhaul, and most predict we will be 2-3 wins better than last season at bes.t

You simply can't add 9 new faces, 5 of them (including Tucker) with no NBA game experience (please don't say Parker has it), and expect a lot. It's a step in the right direction, but a team full of new faces WITH NBA experience needs time to gel, let alone a bunch of European's. Think Jose last year spread over a number of players. A major overhaul is a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily lead to instand huge win increases.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
craigthomasb
College star

thta article is terrible IMO

how can they justify the heat as making the best offseason moves? the article is poor, its partly a power ranking and partly to do with offseason moves, if your looking at rosters who have, on paper, (which is all we can look at for now, as with every offseason) got rid of the most bad players and brought in the most good players (or best players overall) the raptors should really be ahead of the bucks, the cavs and the heat

really what have the cavs done to justify 4th place????
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

I agree with you, especially in the weak east and the much improved depth on the bench. Although we might not see it until the 2nd month of the season. They'll need time to gel.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Im sorry but i cant give any credence to this article. Ill give stein a break for keeping the champs on top ( even if they didnt make any real moves). But Chicago at 2 for overpaying Ben Wallace. Mark my words, Big Ben will be very average without the other starting 4 in Detroit with him. Id have the Raps at the 2 spot if not only cause of there furious activity to improve the team. Bucks 3rd, Bulls 4th , then Pacers and its a wash after that.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
You simply can't add 9 new faces, 5 of them (including Tucker) with no NBA game experience (please don't say Parker has it), and expect a lot. It's a step in the right direction, but a team full of new faces WITH NBA experience needs time to gel, let alone a bunch of European's. Think Jose last year spread over a number of players. A major overhaul is a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily lead to instand huge win increases.

i agree that it will take time to gel... but do you honestly believe the raptors will go 1-19 start the season? We also didn't have chris bosh at the end of last season for however many games.

remember, we were a .500 team for much of the season last year, those two losing skids killed us.

in my head, sure we have some new faces, but that doesn't mean we're going to play .300 ball until they feel comfortable.

bosh, calderon, garbajosa, slokar and nesterovic have been playing ball all summer, they're going to come into camp in better shape than most.

i know your not a raptor hater and you're just not trying to get your hopes up too much... but i think people forget just how BAD we were last reason for a BUNCH of different reasons.

chris bosh is a year older and playing his natural position... that alone, imo guarantees atleast 5-8 extra wins, easily.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: