Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
3.2.1.
Don't Stop Believing!!
 
3.2.1.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killa Cali: Bay Area
Posts: 2,035
Default Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

I'm curious to see what you guys think. I mean he's practically putting up 30+ a game right now. Do you see him producing well in the NBA?
3.2.1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year
 
IlliniFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DMV
Posts: 6,705
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

He won't be putting up 30+ a game but he will be productive. He has a quick release on his shot and great range and defenses won't focus on him like they do now. I guess if you had to compare him to someone in the NBA, he's more of a Ben Gordon than an Eddie House because he can actually handle the ball.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Stephen Curry will play in the NBA for a long time.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Stiff #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 435
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Stephen Curry will join the long list of college superstars (not just good players but superstars) who were never more than "average" at the NBA level.
Stiff #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
Stephen Curry will join the long list of college superstars (not just good players but superstars) who were never more than "average" at the NBA level.
With Curry showing the ability to run the point, I wouldn't bet on that right now.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
steve
...
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,745
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
He won't be putting up 30+ a game but he will be productive. He has a quick release on his shot and great range and defenses won't focus on him like they do now. I guess if you had to compare him to someone in the NBA, he's more of a Ben Gordon than an Eddie House because he can actually handle the ball.
He's also much better at moving the ball than Gordon ever was.

It really is a tricky question though. Does he have the strength to play in the NBA? Is he a good enough ball handler? Is he enough of a point guard? Among a number of other questions. Every time I watch him play, I usually answer "yes" to most of them (I do think that first one will come in time). But I also have to catch myself because I really do love watching the kid play, so it might be a bias on my part (also I'd rather him be the best player to come out of my high school league than Anthony Morrow). Personally, I think he's going to make it.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,834
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Curry is directly responsible for 55.6% of his teams field goals. This is a crazy number for a college guard. It just goes to show you how much Davidson relies on him.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
barkleynash
Local High School Star
 
barkleynash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Curry will be a better Chris Jackson, so yeah plenty of potential
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,834
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
Curry will be a better Chris Jackson, so yeah plenty of potential
He is not the player Chris Jackson was.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
JellyBean
College superstar
 
JellyBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

I see Stephen playing in the NBA. The thing that really scares me is, what team he plays on will determine how well he develops at the NBA level. Stephen could be a legit threat at the NBA level. But it all comes down to who his coach will be.

Example. Say Larry Brown is his coach...Curry is finished. Phil Jackson (Huge fan)...Curry will play but with Kobe (huge fan)..???? So a lot depends on the coaching style of the coach.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
yobore
Great college starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,488
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
I see Stephen playing in the NBA. The thing that really scares me is, what team he plays on will determine how well he develops at the NBA level. Stephen could be a legit threat at the NBA level. But it all comes down to who his coach will be.

Example. Say Larry Brown is his coach...Curry is finished. Phil Jackson (Huge fan)...Curry will play but with Kobe (huge fan)..???? So a lot depends on the coaching style of the coach.
Larry Brown would not have a problem with him he could be like Rip.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
I see Stephen playing in the NBA. The thing that really scares me is, what team he plays on will determine how well he develops at the NBA level. Stephen could be a legit threat at the NBA level. But it all comes down to who his coach will be.

Example. Say Larry Brown is his coach...Curry is finished. Phil Jackson (Huge fan)...Curry will play but with Kobe (huge fan)..???? So a lot depends on the coaching style of the coach.

That's with any prospective draftee. It's up to the player to conform to the playing style of the team. I think he'll fit in Larry Brown's system. He has the fundamentals to do it. Larry has problem developing raw talent versus those can play already. This is why I think DJ is doing so well for him. DJ was already prepared coming into the season to be a player. If DJ wasn't, he'd still be sitting on the bench for the rest of eternity. Just like Darko, David Lee did.

The only difficult transition I see for him is that Stephen Curry will no longer be the man for whatever team he goes to. And it'll be like that for his entire career. He's probably used to scoring most of the points, taking most of the shots, and having free reign to do what he wants really. At the next level, no team that wants to win will let him do that. At best he'll be the 2nd option to an established franchise player. I am eager to see how he responds cause he's very much a rhythm player instead of a plug and play.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
JellyBean
College superstar
 
JellyBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
Larry Brown would not have a problem with him he could be like Rip.

I doubt it. knowing how Larry Brown hates playing rookies. Curry would disappear under Brown's leadership.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
JellyBean
College superstar
 
JellyBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 4,735
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
That's with any prospective draftee. It's up to the player to conform to the playing style of the team. I think he'll fit in Larry Brown's system. He has the fundamentals to do it. Larry has problem developing raw talent versus those can play already. This is why I think DJ is doing so well for him. DJ was already prepared coming into the season to be a player. If DJ wasn't, he'd still be sitting on the bench for the rest of eternity. Just like Darko, David Lee did.

The only difficult transition I see for him is that Stephen Curry will no longer be the man for whatever team he goes to. And it'll be like that for his entire career. He's probably used to scoring most of the points, taking most of the shots, and having free reign to do what he wants really. At the next level, no team that wants to win will let him do that. At best he'll be the 2nd option to an established franchise player. I am eager to see how he responds cause he's very much a rhythm player instead of a plug and play.


Not really. Some coaches will adapt their system around their talent levels. But I just don't see a coach like Larry Brown using Curry in the right manner.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
I doubt it. knowing how Larry Brown hates playing rookies. Curry would disappear under Brown's leadership.
D.J. Augustin disagrees.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy