Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Default Re: Does Stephen Curry have NBA potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
Not really. Some coaches will adapt their system around their talent levels. But I just don't see a coach like Larry Brown using Curry in the right manner.

No, coaches/teams draft to a certain style of play is more likely than that. Name one successful coach that adapts to their talent level versus coaches a certain style and have management draft into that style of play. A team is not going to draft Stephen Curry for the sake of it. The worst case scenario is that a team just drafts the best player available, but even that is a subjective argument. More than likely they take into consideration the draftee's game and what the team trying to accomplish as far as their identity goes.

And once again I really, really doubt Stephen will be lost under a Larry Brown team. The man coached and was successful with Allen Iverson for God's sake. Stephen Curry is in the same mold. An undersized pure scorer. He'd be fine there.

If Minnesota drafts him, I'd be worried. They already of McCants and Foye..which they haven't really had success in defining their roles on the team. Well Minnesota is just a mess overall. I have my own theories that Al Jefferson is quickly becoming another Shareef Abdul-Rahim.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
The only difficult transition I see for him is that Stephen Curry will no longer be the man for whatever team he goes to. And it'll be like that for his entire career. He's probably used to scoring most of the points, taking most of the shots, and having free reign to do what he wants really. At the next level, no team that wants to win will let him do that. At best he'll be the 2nd option to an established franchise player. I am eager to see how he responds cause he's very much a rhythm player instead of a plug and play.
He'll probably take what the defense gives him. This is a player that is the man on his teams because they need him to be not because there's some overwhelming desire for him to control everything. Look at how the Loyola game went down earlier this season. Loyola doubled him the entire game and he let the rest of the team go four on three instead of forcing the issue. And he's a rhythm player now because he does have to take a number of shots for his team to win and he has to find ways to score, put him on a team where he's not always the main focus and I bet you that his percentages go up a good bit more.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
He'll probably take what the defense gives him.

He has no choice in that.

Quote:
This is a player that is the man on his teams because they need him to be not because there's some overwhelming desire for him to control everything.

This doesn't even make sense. How can there not be overwhelming desire for him to control everything, but still teams need him to the "man". You contradict yourself. Saying that teams need him to be the man is a less dramatic version of saying that there is overwhelming desire.

Quote:
Look at how the Loyola game went down earlier this season. Loyola doubled him the entire game and he let the rest of the team go four on three instead of forcing the issue.
This is not even a valid example.

Quote:
And he's a rhythm player now because he does have to take a number of shots for his team to win and he has to find ways to score, put him on a team where he's not always the main focus and I bet you that his percentages go up a good bit more.

This is not my concern. I didn't say his percentages will go down or he'll start playing poorly. I said that there will be a transition to a second fiddle player that will take time for him. Especially at the guard position. It won't be easy and how he reacts will define his career.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
CaptainInsano
Saw a basketball once

Curry needs to hit the weight room and put on some muscle. He's going to get killed at the next level unless he bulks up a little.
CaptainInsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Don't Stop Believing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano
Curry needs to hit the weight room and put on some muscle. He's going to get killed at the next level unless he bulks up a little.
That's pretty much his biggest flaw...
3.2.1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #21
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Steph Curry's release point on his jumper is low. It worries me that he quickness of his shot will be negated by that release against NBA defenders.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #22
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

maybe he could be a Reggie Miller type? full potential. I hope he does well, exciting to watch in college.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: