Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Will any current NBA teams relocate in the next few years?

Seems to me like there are alot of empty seats in certain locales. I think it's more than just the economy with these cities. Is there a good chance that we could see some teams relocate anytime within the next few/5/10 years? If so, what are some cities that would work out well for NBA teams looking to relocate? Obviously, a city like Seattle may get a team at some point, but what about places like Las Vegas/Cincinnati/Pittsburgh/San Diego/etc.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Will any current NBA teams relocate in the next few years?

If the Maloofs don't get their new arena soon, I could see them leaving Sacramento within the next several years. However, seeing that Kevin Johnson is the mayor of Sacramento and a former NBA great...based on reading some of plans for the city, getting a new arena is right up there.

It's looking more and more that the Nets' proposed Brooklyn arena complex may never get off the ground, and I heard it's possible that Bruce Ratner (the Nets' majority owner) may sell the team. They do have that option to move with the Devils and their new arena in Newark. I think their #1 option is to stay in the Metro New York City-New Jersey area.

Just with the ecomonics and the lack of media markets large enough to attract a NBA team (besides Seattle, of course), I wouldn't expect a lot of teams to be relocating any time soon...teams either have iron-clad leases that would be hard enough to break, or have an ownership interest (or just outright) in their arenas.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Kings to Vegas or KC.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnieMac06
If the Maloofs don't get their new arena soon, I could see them leaving Sacramento within the next several years. However, seeing that Kevin Johnson is the mayor of Sacramento and a former NBA great...based on reading some of plans for the city, getting a new arena is right up there.

It's looking more and more that the Nets' proposed Brooklyn arena complex may never get off the ground, and I heard it's possible that Bruce Ratner (the Nets' majority owner) may sell the team. They do have that option to move with the Devils and their new arena in Newark. I think their #1 option is to stay in the Metro New York City-New Jersey area.

Just with the ecomonics and the lack of media markets large enough to attract a NBA team (besides Seattle, of course), I wouldn't expect a lot of teams to be relocating any time soon...teams either have iron-clad leases that would be hard enough to break, or have an ownership interest (or just outright) in their arenas.

i always had the impression that it is the one sport towns of the nba (portland, sac-town, san anton etc) that had the best chance of keeping teams since generally the towns are more easily pressured into publically financing new arenas

it does happen though (charlotte, vancouver) so who knows...

its a new economic ball game these days
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
i always had the impression that it is the one sport towns of the nba (portland, sac-town, san anton etc) that had the best chance of keeping teams since generally the towns are more easily pressured into publically financing new arenas

I agree with you there, and in most cases, thats pretty much the case...it also helps that the Trail Blazers and Spurs have been winning franchises through their histories. However here in California, it's extremely hard to get taxpayers to help finance stadiums and arenas...back in the 70s and 80s, the San Francisco Giants tried numerous times to get a publicly-financed ballpark to replace Candlestick Park, and nearly moved twice because of it. Eventually, the current ownership financed AT&T Park themselves, the rest is history.

Here in Los Angeles, the lack of the taxpayer interest is one of the reasons why we don't have a NFL-quality stadium built here. The city and county of Los Angeles (along with the state of California) own and operate the L.A. Coliseum complex (which includes the old Sports Arena, and a few state and county-run museums), and they have been propping the Coliseum site as a potential NFL home, but the league wants no part of it. The local government trashed several attempts elsewhere in the L.A. area to build a new stadium, including at Dodger Stadium, a site across from Staples Center (now currently occupied by the new L.A. Live entertainment center), and a couple of suburban locations (Carson and Lynwood, both southeast of downtown L.A.)

In Sacramento's case...ARCO Arena is privately owned (by the Maloofs, as well as the land surrounding the arena), but they want a new arena in or around the State Capitol, with public money. If they wanted, they could sell-off the ARCO property and use those funds to build the new arena themselves. Maybe Joe & Gavin, and Mayor KJ, could use some sort of backdoor way to get something done up there.

Last edited by ShawnieMac06 : 12-20-2008 at 06:27 PM.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: