Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #31
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
I can relate about losing assists. Have you ever seen Dampier trying to catch the ball? It's very painful to watch.

Same with Kwame....sometimes when I watch laker games he seems to lose focus because of a distraction in the ceiling...Like he's smelling roses or something,

But hopefully that has changed. Dampier is a better defender though.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #32
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

As a long time Laker fan, I readily admit that my beloved Lakers are not as good as the Mavs. It's not even a question really. Kobe may have Dallas' number, but the Lakers cannot beat them in 7.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #33
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Since the Lakers beat Dallas in 7 back in the playoffs of 88, They have pretty much terrorized the Mavs in the regular season. They have yet to meet in the postseason since then.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:42 AM   #34
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I take this as nothing more than Jackson's ongoing dislike for Cuban and Dallas. Just planting the seeds for his future mind games.

Maybe, but there was also some truth in that.

Quote:
Another point is , and I'm not sure if it would be called chemistry or not, how are the Lakers as a "team". I think , and this is my opinion only, that some players are scared or dislike Kobe. I just don't see that unit ever pulling together as a close knit team.

This is an important thing, but now I'm not worried about that (I know things can dramatically change in the future).
Jackson is a great coach and managed "difficult" players, and all "greats" are gone from the Lakers rosters.
Every LA player arrived here when Kobe was already the star of the team and no-one can question that, after the 3 rings, the scoring title, the 81 performance, etc.
The only player who could ask for more touches is Odom, but he's a natural unselfish, he's the "facilitator" (so he has the ball in his a hand a lot) and he already said many times how good is Kobe, how important he is, etc.
Kobe has a great ego, but he leads by example, and that's an underrated thing. He is often the first to start training and the last to give up, this is something teammates certainly appreciate. Moreover, he is the first one playing solid defense: there's nothing more annoying that a superstar who wants the ball on the offensive end and take a rest on the other.
As said, the "only" thing missing is talent, or developed talent (don't forget LA is one of the youngest team in the league).
Should we find/develop 3 decent starters and 3-4 solid bench players, we can make some noise.
Radmanovic, Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Evans, Walton, Vujacic, Turiaf have to step up (as said, difficult, but not impossible).
But it's not the superstars we're missing, just the right complementary players.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #35
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

haha so what you're saying is you have two good players and that's it, if you put a team around them you will win. The mavs had Jackson, Kidd, and Mashburn and they were terrible, you put 2 more good starters and 3-4 good bench players on that team and they are championship contenders.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #36
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soog
haha so what you're saying is you have two good players and that's it, if you put a team around them you will win. The mavs had Jackson, Kidd, and Mashburn and they were terrible, you put 2 more good starters and 3-4 good bench players on that team and they are championship contenders.

Well they were tryin to learn a difficult system (triangle offense) and they had all the wrong pieces.

J-Kidd is not suitable for that system and Jim Cleamons really isnt much of a "reaching out" guy
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #37
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I think Kidd is the kind of player that could learn and adapt.

Cleamons was a mistake from the start. It was though being on Phil's bench was an automatic pass for the job. Cleamons never showed before the Mavs, or on the Mavs, that there was anything to show he would be a good coach. The only thing in his favor is that Quinn Buckner was worse.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #38
TDoug
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TDoug has an OK reputation so far
Default Lakers

The Lakers can't beat the Clips much less the Mavs or the Spurs in a 3 game series.
TDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #39
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

You might want to think about that. The Lakers beat the Mavs 2 out of 3 last year. So they could win a 3 games series. Thank goodness they play 7 game series.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #40
lawlerslaw100
Good High School Starter

lawlerslaw100 has decent reputationlawlerslaw100 has decent reputation
Thumbs down WTF Thread

This reminds of what Roy of Ziegfried and Roy said as they recently got
their star at the Vegas walk of fame..."Give me head..:"

Back to this ludricious thread. How in hell can anyone make any
case for a struggling 500 team contending for 8 spot being
better than the favorite to challenge the Heat for the LArry
O Brien trophy?

The only challenger to the Mavs this year from LA is across the
hall and wears Red, White, and Blue unis and has a solid deep
lineup and plays a blue collar defensive winning style of team ball.
lawlerslaw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #41
TDoug
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TDoug has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
You might want to think about that. The Lakers beat the Mavs 2 out of 3 last year. So they could win a 3 games series. Thank goodness they play 7 game series.

LA won the first game when Josh Howard sprained his ankle and played 10 minutes. The second game was one of those once in a blue moon anomalies
when Kobe scored 62 points and Dallas shot 30%. Dallas rebounded to humiliate
the Lakers leading the whole game by 20 to 30 points. Yeah, I'll take Dallas.
But you are right.
TDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: