Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #211
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Bowen
ClutchCityReturns is owning guys left and right in this thread.

He's been doing it all offseason......
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #212
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
Stupid argument my ass.

31 games is plenty to get an idea of how good a team is, and it's enough games to get in a matchup against a majority of teams in the league.

It's not 5 games, it's not 10 games, it's not a non-conference schedule or something like that. It's 31 games against most of the other teams in the NBA.

Am I saying it's a perfect science? Of course I'm not, but it makes no sense at all to say that it means nothing.

It also makes no sense at all to say that because they started 21-10, they'll finish with the 4th best record in the league when we don't know what teams they played during that stretch and how many home versus road games they played.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #213
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
It also makes no sense at all to say that because they started 21-10, they'll finish with the 4th best record in the league when we don't know what teams they played during that stretch and how many home versus road games they played.

First of all, they didn't start 21-10. The games were compiled throughout the season because Tracy and Yao were both in and out of the lineup at different points. That actually makes it more impressive because there was always some degree of rust on one or both of the guys.

I'm not going to bother looking up who they played. I'd have to look at every box score and see if Yao and Tracy played in a particular game, and I'm not going to bother doing that. You're welcome to do it though, but remember you're not even guaranteed to help your argument. I really would love to see who they played, though, so if you want to put in that effort I'd appreciate it.

Also, anybody who knows anything about the Rockets knows that they weren't a good home team. So where the games were played wouldn't be all that relevant anyway.

Home: 15-26
Road: 19-22

*3 of those home losses came at the very end of the season, without BOTH Yao and Tracy.

Last edited by ClutchCityReturns : 09-19-2006 at 11:03 PM.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #214
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10
21-10

Get that in your head. That was the Rockets record last season when both Yao and Tracy finished a game together. That includes the beginning of the season when Tracy's back wasn't right and Yao was playing on his infected toe that later needed surgery. In case you don't realize, that's a .677 winning percentage. You know what that comes out to over 82 games?

56-26, or the 4th best record in the entire league last year.

Let's look at something else while we're at it. The projected starting lineup of the Detroit Pistons (I use them because they were healthy) played 1,674 minutes together on the floor last season.

The Houston Rockets projected starting lineup played 65.

So how about we stop using last year's overall record as some kind of indication of how good or bad this team is going to be this year?

Post of the offseason nominee.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #215
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I fail to see how that really matters. Is either guy injury prone? Wait, they play for the Rockets so they must be, right?

The truth is that Juwan is one of the worst starting PF's in the league, but he makes a hell of a backup (too bad his contract sucks). As for Dikembe, he's old, but he's also the second best backup center in the league behind Alonzo Mourning. Third if Eric Dampier is in a contract year.

You're assuming neither guy is going to fall off more, and considering their ages, I'd say it's a good possibility.

Quote:
Bowen is horrible, but every team has "that guy". Taking into account how the rest of the team is made up, all Jacobsen would have to do is shoot and he's definitely not a scrub at that aspect of the game. Lampe isn't on the team.

Odd, I was looking at the Rockets site and Lampe was on the roster. So out of three guys I mentioned, one might be able to make a contribution.

Quote:
If you watched the Rockets last season you'd know that Lucas had a very nice stint with them last year. No amazing numbers, but he ran the team extremely well. It came as quite a surprise when he wasn't signed on for the rest of the year. Obviously it doesn't mean he's a lock to perform exceptionally well this season, but he was arguably the most dominant player in the Vegas summer league.

Spanoulis doesn't have to do anything more than be a spark, whether it's defensively or offensively, or just with his attitude. If you watched him take it to team USA in the world championships, you'll see that he's more than capable of doing that.

Hayes is proven on the NBA level as a backup, so I'm not really sure what you mean when you say he isn't. He's not a starter? He doesn't get enough minutes for you? He doesn't average a double double? What do you need from him? He's shown he can hang as a backup which is the point of being a backup, right?

The jury will be out on Novak until he sees some minutes, but like Jacobsen, all he needs to do on this team is hit open shots. Go look at his college numbers and then tell me he doesn't have a very good shot at doing just that.

Euro play doesn't guarantee anything. When a guy like Wade can look like a chump, and guys there can play well but come here and not it's always up in the air. So if Spanoulis is going to do anything, it remains to be seen. I've got to think if Lucas played as well as you're saying, they would have re-signed him for the season. I'm less skeptical of Novak because of college.

Quote:
Alston will start, and he'll be backed up by a group of Head, Spanoulis, and Lucas. That will be limited a lot though, because Tracy brings the ball up court on a large portion of their possessions anyway.

Sounds good.

Quote:
Dikembe Mutombo: 4.8 rpg in only 14.9 mpg.
Chuck Hayes: 4.5 rpg in only 13.4 mpg. (#2 in the NBA per 48mins)

Throw in a few rebounds here and there for Juwan and it's not a problem. More like a strength. The Rockets are already one of the better rebounding teams in the league, you know. As horrible as their lineup was this past season, they still averaged pretty close to the same amount as both teams that went to the Finals. It won't be a problem.

EDIT: I was originally looking at the Heat/Mavs playoff stats, but the same holds true for regular season, albeit not quite as much.

Andrew Bynum is 11th in the NBA in offensive rebounds per 48 min and 6th in blocks. Doesn't mean a thing. I'll relent on Hayes though, as for Mutumbo and Howard, I've already said it's not good to assume they are going to be just fine considering their ages.

Quote:
A bench only needs to be strong enough to compliment the starting 5, and if Wells does sign, the bench is going to be just fine. Besides, the bench will be the last of the opponent's worries.

If I'm Houston and I'm looking for a title, that bench just isn't cutting it. I've read nothing to change my overall view of the bench.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #216
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Odd, I was looking at the Rockets site and Lampe was on the roster. So out of three guys I mentioned, one might be able to make a contribution.
Lampe is a free agent. I know he's still listed on the roster, but he is not under contract or ever will be again with the Rockets.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: