Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default RBP's life reflections at the 6,000 post mark

at the advise of hateraid, an ish-er whose opinion i value, i make this 6k post thread "celebration". the other choice was to have a shot of glenlivit and post trash about the okc thunder; h-aid was wise to suggest the high road.

i have enjoyed ish as a get-away from work. i have learned about various things that i hadnt looked into before-- music, politics and especially pop culture. it keeps me young to read what is going on with the younger generation of 2008. there are only a few of us who are over forty here at ish-- at least i am pretty sure that i could dominate silent mav in a one on one game-- or is it h-o-r-s-e?

i will just add random comments about various topics over the next few days. i am thinking the standard fare: religion, politics, economic systems, relationships, food, places in the usa, music and of course-- the nba

if you want to ask me anything, feel free. i reserve the right to not answer also.

i will start off with hoops

i start off by asking the forgiveness from all the okc thunder fans at ish. i have posted some snide comments mostly out of my personal hurt of losing the sonics. i really cannot blame fans for wanting to watch the best players in the world. it was displaced anger at howard shultz and clay bennett. i promise to not post negative comments anymore as i have mostly accepted the fact that pro hoops no longer exists in seattle. i must admit however that i do revel in the fact that the thunder have a chance at setting the record for losses in an nba season.

i have been mostly cheering for the knicks and the blazers this year. david lee is a blue collar player and has a decent jumper. he is relentless on the boards and plays within his capabilities. i have enjoyed the development of aldridge this year. seems like he is much more confident in all areas of the game and he will be a big reason for the blazers future success.

i was hoping that the ai trade to the pistons would help the pistons. their chemistry really depended on chaucey. it is not too late for them to pull it together but ai's strength is to dominate the ball while the pistons really thrive by sharing the ball at all levels. time will tell

i cant remember so many coaches being fired so soon into the season. i do not think it wise to fire your coach during the year. it can really throw things off for the team. unless there is a total mutiny by the team, a coach ought to be given the whole season to prove himself; coaching changes are best done during the off season so the new coach can use the preseason to develop his philosophy and build relationships. in general, it is very difficult for assistant coaches to flourish with midseason changes

i have never liked the fan voting for the all star starters. even when shawn kemp was making it (and probably didnt deserve it over karl malone in 94 and 95). i think having the players, coaches and gms themselves vote for the all stars would be good. of course it would fly with stern's global marketing approach for the league

yao ming is in his prime and has been very impressive this year. he really needed a guy like artest to compliment him. most of the great big men needed a rough, physical guy next to him: russell had tommy heinson; chamberlain had luke jackson; willis reed had dave debusschere; kareem had kurt rambis; walton had maurice lucas. it amazes me that yao only takes about 13 shots per game-- he ought to shoot about 20 a game at least. i am glad to see aaron brooks getting more playing time-- he is a good fit there in houston. i am excited to see what the rockets do in the playoffs this year.

i do not get excited about the celtics or lakers at all. the same goes for lebron james and kobe. i usually rebel against the over-exposed nba-chosen-- no matter how good they are.

these are just a few thoughts... more on the other topics later
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Maniak
Warm Winds

Default Re: RBP's life reflections at the 6,000 post mark

One of the best posters on all ISH, heres to another 6k(and hopefully even more)

Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Congrats to one of my favorite posters on ISH, if not my favorite.

And now my questions:
1. If Jesus were alive today what system of government or economic model do you think he would support?
2. If a team where to move from to Seattle and call themselves the "Sonics," would you accept them as your own?
3. Where do you rank GP in your all time list of PGs? Which current NBA player(s) resemble him the most? Same goes for Kemp.
4. I think I asked you this before and was unsatisfied with the answer: if (for whatever reason and by some magical power) it is proven that Jesus was 100% man and not divine in the sense of being the son of God, does the message and foundation of Christianity change at all?
5. If you had to take any concept or anything at all from another major religion what would it be and why?
6. If you had to describe life in 3 words, what would they be and why?
7. What are your thoughts on the following quote: "The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of your state of mind" ?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Congrats RBP. Looking forward to the next 6k.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

rbp = wise and sexy!
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
i start off by asking the forgiveness from all the okc thunder fans at ish

ISH has OKC thunder fans?
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
AirGauge23
Team NWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4

Thundercover
OKCBasketball
Buffalo Braves

Those are the ones I've seen.

Congrats to RBP, you're one of the best around here, and you have all my respect.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGauge23
Thundercover
OKCBasketball
Buffalo Braves

Those are the ones I've seen.

Congrats to RBP, you're one of the best around here, and you have all my respect.

maybe they only come out when i'm not here. then again, i'm never not here.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
AirGauge23
Team NWO

Quote:
maybe they only come out when i'm not here. then again, i'm never not here.

OKC has posted a thread on the main forum, the others stick to the team forum.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

AWESOME

congrats
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Congrats to one of my favorite posters on ISH, if not my favorite.

And now my questions:

bbb-- i will address the following questions now and the ones on religion when i post the "religion" theme. remind me if i forget (i am an old man you know ad we do forget things)

(btw, how is uc davis treating you these days?)

2. If a team where to move from to Seattle and call themselves the "Sonics," would you accept them as your own?

yes-- that was part of the conditions for the move of the organizations: that the city keep the name sonics. i hope that day comes-- but i am not holding my breath

3. Where do you rank GP in your all time list of PGs? Which current NBA player(s) resemble him the most? Same goes for Kemp.

tough question

the hof has so many good pgs guards-- kc jones, lenny wilkins, gail goodrich, calvin murphy, walt frazier, isiah and magic. kidd is a sure pick too. if i were to start a team-- and all these guys were in their prime-- i would only choose frazier, isiah and magic over gp; kidd is on the same par as gary.

i cant think of any current guys who remind me of gary-- just because gp was just a pitbull on d; could lead the break; post up; ride his emotions; spin which all together is a unique combination of skills

for kemp, amare reminds me a lot of what shawn did best the only difference is that amare is a little better jump shooter but shawn pushed people around the lane better

6. If you had to describe life in 3 words, what would they be and why?

graced-- because i truly believe that all the good that i have experienced has been a part of God's mysterious and gracious presence in the world;

adventure--if you had asked me when i was 21 what life would bring, it would have been a totally different answer to what has actually happened;

surprise-- because all of the unplanned things that has happened not only in big ways but in the seemingly insignificant daily things

7. What are your thoughts on the following quote: "The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of your state of mind" ?

it is partly true: how we look at the things in our life help define and interpret them. if you ever watched poor kids play with some sticks and bottle caps and have a great time, you realize that they dont know they are poor-- they are just enjoying each other and what they do have. we lose that ability as adults although we can reclaim it to a degree.

for me, that is the benefit of prayer and reflection that leads to thanksgiving. to be able to find joy in what one does have-- even if it is about surviving crosses that we carry

the statement is false in that so much of the state of our life comes from outside of us-- no matter our state of mind. culture, class, race, family, opportunity and circumstance helps define who we are and, for most of us, primarily make us who we are
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:

ss4, why do you tempt me with a statement like that just after i promised to not make negative posts about the thunder?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
rbp = wise and sexy!

50% correct
Old 12-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
One of the best posters on all ISH, heres to another 6k(and hopefully even more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Congrats RBP. Looking forward to the next 6k.

i would be surprised if i get to 8,000. i am in the "shaq-with-the-suns" stage of my ish participation: just coasting til the playoffs; moments of my prime; not too far from retirement when i will just watch (read) the up and coming guys
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #15
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

What is wrong with Washington Football(University)? Not too long ago it was a National Power. How did it sink so low? Were you in favor of the Sarkisian hiring?

Does "colony collapse disorder" scare you?

Mean mugs or shoulder shrugs?
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: