Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

Default Re: RBP's life reflections at the 6,000 post mark

congrats, rbp!

interacting with you - particularly in dash's music draft - has been a great pleasure. ISH will very much be worse off when you retire; we need all the wisdom and maturity we can get around here!
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #17
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
What is wrong with Washington Football(University)? Not too long ago it was a National Power. How did it sink so low? Were you in favor of the Sarkisian hiring?

Does "colony collapse disorder" scare you?

Mean mugs or shoulder shrugs?

personally, i believe it is still the consequences of the rick neuheisel debacle a few years back and the lack of consistency of the coaching. but this year was just the worst nightmare for any husky fan. at some point, the players just lost their will to play it was so bad

the 'dogs were not as bad as people think though. we lost to BYU on a bogus call of unsportsmanlike conduct on jake locker after he flipped the ball after tying the score with a touchdown in the minute of the game. if we werent in the pac 10, we would not have gone winless this year

no opinion with the sarkisian hiring-- i hope he turns it around. it cant be worse than this year

"colony collapse disorder" doesnt scare me. it is one of those things in life which i have no control. i came to the same conclusion about earthquakes when i lived in los angeles. there is no sense in living life in fear over things that are out of one's control

dash-- great job with the all time music thread
i had never enjoyed an thread as much as that one as it exposed me to all sorts of artists that i would have never heard before.
aretha, my second pick, will sing at obama's inauguration!!
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
congrats, rbp!

interacting with you - particularly in dash's music draft - has been a great pleasure. ISH will very much be worse off when you retire; we need all the wisdom and maturity we can get around here!

thanks

here is a reprise of your great lineup:

Play Tetris-Miles Davis, Ahmad Jamal, roy ayers, grant green, minnie riperton, leon "ndugu" chancler
Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

What would be your list of the top 5 basketball players that are Seattle natives?

How successful do you believe Luke Ridnour would be in Mike D'Antoni's Spread PNR?

Is there are such thing as being too gangsta?
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:

The perfect Cartmanclone question.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
What would be your list of the top 5 basketball players that are Seattle natives?

How successful do you believe Luke Ridnour would be in Mike D'Antoni's Spread PNR?

top five
  • james "buddha" edwards
  • nate robinson
  • jason terry
  • jamal crawford
  • nate robinson
  • 6th man-- clint richardson (on the 76ers champ squad)
any pg, ridnour included, would love to run and gun with d'antoni

if you have to ask about being too gangsta, the ansa' dont matta'
Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

some political musings:

we ought to go to a popular vote for president instead of the antiquated electoral college. let every vote count

the whole red-blue states distinction is a misnomer. the line is really urban/rural within the states themselves. the winner-take-all states in the electoral college is wrong; the pro-rated states (maine and nebraska) have it right with their tiered system and it better reflects the populace. republicans in eastern washington, central valley california and western/nothern ny ought to have their votes count just as democrats in austin/houston/san antonio tx and nashville

the electioneering went on WAY too long this past two years! i think canada has a six week period for their national elections. this seems more reasonable to me.

the money involved in the races is just out of hand too. more reform needs to be done to minimize the negative influences of $$$$. this goes for PAC contributions outside the election process too

in this vein, tv advertising ought to be corraled. the tv stations should be required-- in the six week period-- to put on meaningful debates and informational programs on the candidates positions. image primarily influences the emotions of voters instead of the issues and these images dont come from facts but advertising

i wish that the primaries for each of the parties were done all on the same day. a super-super tuesday. that way, the candidates would have to address all the states in some way and not just court the swing states

voting on sunday instead of tuesday would also be more convenient for people and would increase participation in general

all that being said, it is local government where the rubber hits the road. as fun as it is to follow the national politics, it is at the local level where our lives are most affected

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 12-22-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Good eye, sniper.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #24
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

rbp, do you read hendrik hertzberg? he has some very similar ideas for political reform. i find you both very thoughtful and subtle. thanks for posting!
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Congrats on 6K RBP! And yes, you probably could take me in one on one. But you might be surprised in a game of horse. Course we could probably have a heck of trivial pursuit battle.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #26
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
the electioneering went on WAY too long this past two years! i think canada has a six week period for their national elections. this seems more reasonable to me.
It costs a whole hell of a lot less as well.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #27
Parade
and t'all a good night

You're the only religious person that I don't want to euthanize with a fork. In fact, I like you.

to you
Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
Don't Stop Believing!!

Congrats... posting insight on your post count thread.
3.2.1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #29
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
50% correct

Well we all know you're sexy.

Forgive me for not responding right away. Wark and Christmas activities keep me busy.

To your comment about OKC, I'm pretty sure KC natives understand your POV and accept your words, as harsh as they may be. Losing a franchise, especially one that is rich in history is tough. I do say, the Sonics probably had the fourth best gaurd collection in history behind LA, Philly, and the Knicks. I was a fan of the Sonics in the 80's with players like Dale Ellis, X-man, and Tom Chambers. You'll see one return before our time.

I appreciate the comment on AI. Despite the Pistons obvious slump, AI has been a great figure in basketball. It's a shame occurances like this put a damper in his career. It's to late to build around him, but I hope he does regain some sort of success.

Also appreciate that you value my opinion, considering yours is much wiser. It's like Dan Marino seeking opinions from Brett Favre. I do see alot of your expressions about religion in which I whole heartedly agree. That also being I was raised Catholic but due to conflict in religion and my father in law being an Evangelical minister i choose to pray where i have more inspiration. So both churches are there for me. I choose not to respond mostly because I don't like tilting in religious or political debates. But praise you for being a Christian warrior and letting your beacon shine bright.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #30
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
rbp, do you read hendrik hertzberg? he has some very similar ideas for political reform. i find you both very thoughtful and subtle. thanks for posting!

this is perhaps the best compliment i have ever received at ish. hertzberg is way out of my league as i do catch his blog from time to time. it is good to know that we are on the same page

SG, are you connected to claremont-mckenna college? great school
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: