Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #31
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: RBP's life reflections at the 6,000 post mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Course we could probably have a heck of trivial pursuit battle.

speaking of trivial pursuit, how are those mavs doing? . imo, they could be a dark horse in the playoffs. barea has been a nice surprise. how has bass looked so far this year? what is the real scoop on stackhouse?

dont be so silent
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #32
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parade
You're the only religious person that I don't want to euthanize with a fork. In fact, I like you.

to you

i appreciate chosen non-violence...

i truly believe that each of us can learn from one another if there is a will to do so. trouble is, many do not have a will as such and get stuck in narrow worlds-- religious and non religious alike.

i read an interesting thesis last week regarding social change. bottom line was that change-- whether religious or secular in nature-- is resisted no matter what the source. on the surface this might sound self evident, but i think the implications are many

those who are entrenched will not have the will (or perhaps the ability) to appreciate being different than they already are-- as a society or in their personal lives.

the common factor then, is not so much one's relgious/non religious views, but their openness to change and willingness to be affected by others points of view toward that end
Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #33
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I do say, the Sonics probably had the fourth best gaurd collection in history behind LA, Philly, and the Knicks. I was a fan of the Sonics in the 80's with players like Dale Ellis, X-man, and Tom Chambers. You'll see one return before our time.

I appreciate the comment on AI. Despite the Pistons obvious slump, AI has been a great figure in basketball. It's a shame occurances like this put a damper in his career. It's to late to build around him, but I hope he does regain some sort of success.

But praise you for being a Christian warrior and letting your beacon shine bright.

you might be right about the sonic guards. i was too little, but i remember being sad when lenny wilkins was traded to the cavs; slick watts was my childhood sonic hero. freddie, gus, dj, nate, dale, dana, gary, ray-ray... ahhhh good memories

ai has been a favorite of mine since georgetown and i am a biased fan. i criticize guys who dribble half as much as he does. but to watch him operate on the floor is truly amazing. i wanted the 76ers to beat the lakers in the finals and was so jazzed when they stole game one in los angeles... ai is very much a one of a kind player and i do hope the pistons can pull it all together with him there

as for the christian warrior comment-- thanks. i try my best without being too trying in the process. a lot of the religious comments here are age appropriate and i just try to give out good information and hopefully open minds prevail

the one thing that does get my goat is anti-catholic bigotry. when people make comments regarding stereotypes and offensive comments regarding blacks or jews, we as a society (in general) know to challenge the ignorance. but with many, making anti-catholic statements is not only accepted, but an avalanche can start

it is one of the last socially acceptable prejudices in u.s. culture

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 12-23-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #34
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet

the one thing that does get my goat is anti-catholic bigotry. when people make comments regarding stereotypes and offensive comments regarding blacks or jews, we as a society (in general) know to challenge the ignorance. but with many, making anti-catholic statements is not only accepted, but an avalanche can start

it is one of the last socially acceptable prejudices in u.s. culture

Not only is it acceptable, it's encouraged and fashionable. There are plenty of imperfections in the Church, but we shouldn't be the national scapegoat.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #35
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
What would be your list of the top 5 basketball players that are Seattle natives?

a good read from todays times regarding this question:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._brewer23.html
Old 12-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #36
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

favorite foods and drink

breakfast: french toast, scrambled eggs, hash browns and corned beef hash

lunch: chinese dim sum

dinner: rare ribeye steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes

usual drinks-- various types of tea
juice-- cranberry, grapefruit
beer-- guiness
mixed drink-- vodka with cranberry
sipping-- glenlivit or lagavulin single malt scotch (patron from time to time too)
with my steak-- merlot

casual snack: popcorn
fruit: bananas
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #37
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

relationship reflections

i believe in the power of love but love in the sense of the WILL for the good of others and the actions that make this good concrete.

this translates into family, marriage, friends, strangers and even yes-- ememies

it can be applied to personal relationships as well as a principle toward structures/groups/municipalities

that type of love is an ideal and is affected by all sorts of factors in the world

in a word, i think that the foundation of most relationship problems is a form of selfishness and the privatism/relativism that affects morality in general. according to my own definition (which actually comes from thomas aquinas), it would be an ignornace of what is good; a lack of will; and/or non actions towards the good
Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #38
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Gratz RBP.

You seem like a good poster, but i have honestly not read more then 10 of your posts due to your unconventional writing style. I really try to read your post, honestly I try, but I always find myself giving up after going a few lines.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #39
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

What was the US like during OJs trial?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #40
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Good question.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #41
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Congrats RBP. I enjoy your posts as well.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #42
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One of the few guys whom, even if I see a topic in which I have zero interest in, will read if it says you are the last one to respond.

What are your thoughts on other sports besides the NBA, and who are your fav. teams in those sports? Break them down a bit and analyze them if you have the time.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #43
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Gratz RBP.

You seem like a good poster, but i have honestly not read more then 10 of your posts due to your unconventional writing style. I really try to read your post, honestly I try, but I always find myself giving up after going a few lines.

probably because i didnt grow up with the internet so i take a more narrative style

whereas most posts here are very pragmatic and straight to the point, i tend to nuance a lot of my thought which perhaps isnt of great value and may even work against people-- like yourself-- reading my thoughts

or perhaps you are a product of this age! i tried to make a thread about this topic ( http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google )

but it was too long and no one even read the article
Old 12-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #44
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Shaq or Hakeem?
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #45
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker

it is a good question. but first-- a story:

i was living in compton in 1994 and was at a bar watching the knicks-rockets finals game. i think i went the restroom and when i came back to my seat, the cops following this white truck was on tv

when i asked the bartender to put the game back on he said that network bounced the game to show this--- they interrupted the nba finals to show the oj white bronco chase!! man was i pissed.

the bar was in carson and i was sitting through this hoping that the game would come back on sipping a beer. everyone in the bar was riveted to the tv; some were cheering too.

the chase started in oc and made its way up to the san diego fwy. (i405) once they got to about westminster, seal beach someone yelled-- "they are going to come by here!! (carson is right off the 405)

i was just seething because i really was into the game and cheering for the knicks and now this circus bumped it all

there was a significant number of people who left the bar and were going to watch the thing go by on the freeway. it was unbelievable. as more time went by, more people started to line up on the freeway to watch oj and the slow speed "chase" from the cops. a total farce

after a while, i realized that we nba fans were trumped by all the angelinos who wanted to see the chase. so i left the bar and went home and caught the highlights of the game later that night on espn. (remember--the internet didnt have the same capacity that it has today)

in light of albballers comments, i will try to use bullet points in my response to the social implications of orenthal james simpson of 1994!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: