Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #16
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
So I have several questions that I would like to know answers to...

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

I am just going to give you my interpretation after researching the scriptures.

As far as "inheriting" sin, it really means having a tendency to sin, aka being imperfect people. We often choose the wrong path, and do the wrong thing, and as imperfect people we make mistakes and being sinful means we have a tendency to do so.

Quote:
2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?

Baptism itself is supposed to be a symbolic ritual to show one's "rebirth". The submersion, and rising is supposed to show one's death of your old life, and the birth of the new life, in harmony with Christ. This obviously implies a conscious choice, which essentially makes it meaningless on an infant. First century Christians weren't baptized as infants.

Quote:
3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...

There are several scriptures which describe literal, and figurative, events of the time period.

Quote:
4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

I really don't know what this is about, because I'm not one who believes in those people who hear real voices or start speaking BS languages, or start convulsing and fainting.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #17
PistolPete
The Pistol
 
PistolPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hall of Fame
Posts: 4,219
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

F-a-i-t-h
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo
 
C-Webb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,361
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
I really don't know what this is about, because I'm not one who believes in those people who hear real voices or start speaking BS languages, or start convulsing and fainting.
My question to you then is, if you don't ever "hear God" in any sense, how is it that you believe in him? And yes, I know the standard answer is "faith" I mean I did attend church and study scriptures for 18 years. But I just find it hard to find faith in someone or something that i've never heard, seen, touched, etc..
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
My question to you then is, if you don't ever "hear God" in any sense, how is it that you believe in him? And yes, I know the standard answer is "faith" I mean I did attend church and study scriptures for 18 years. But I just find it hard to find faith in someone or something that i've never heard, seen, touched, etc..
So you don't believe in anything that isn't tangible?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo
 
C-Webb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,361
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
So you don't believe in anything that isn't tangible?
I'm not necessarily saying that I don't believe in God, but what I am saying is that it'd be nice to have an experience of communication with him in my life.. then i'd believe without doubt.
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 AM   #21
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 19,144
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
Alright, well I then this thread is "questions for Christians" I can't really do anything about the title unless the mods feel like doing it.

qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #22
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
I'm not necessarily saying that I don't believe in God, but what I am saying is that it'd be nice to have an experience of communication with him in my life.. then i'd believe without doubt.
Do you expect God to talk to each individual in order for them to believe in him?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #23
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo
 
C-Webb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,361
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Do you expect God to talk to each individual in order for them to believe in him?
If i'm to believe in God, that means that I believe he's omnipresent and omnipotent. Therefore, if he wanted to talk to every human being on earrth, he could.
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #24
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
If i'm to believe in God, that means that I believe he's omnipresent and omnipotent. Therefore, if he wanted to talk to every human being on earrth, he could.
I'm not saying he is incapable of such a task, but I'm asking if you honestly think that God should talk to every person individually for them to believe in him.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #25
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter
 
gencbiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,055
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Who is to say what sin is? Obviously we know taking someone's life is a sin, but stealing to survive? Killing to survive? How is that a sin? It's more like the right to live in this world. Just because someone made this stupid list of things we can't do, we're supposed to follow this old edict?
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #26
undertaker21
Serious playground baller
 
undertaker21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 489
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Who is to say what sin is? Obviously we know taking someone's life is a sin, but stealing to survive? Killing to survive? How is that a sin? It's more like the right to live in this world. Just because someone made this stupid list of things we can't do, we're supposed to follow this old edict?
Good question.

Take lying for example. People lie all the time. They lie at their jobs, they lie to their girlfriends/wives. Sometimes the lie is for personal benefit but other times the lie is to protect someone's feelings.

Cheating - we've all cheated at somethng before in our lifetime... it's only natural.

Coveting - Who the hell doesn't look at their neighbors wife and wanna bang the **** outta her. Who doesn't want to drive their neighbors car, live in their neighbors house, etc. etc.

I think that certain can be called "wrong" like killing for fun or smashing the windows on someones car and stuff like that, but just about anything could be called a "sin" if you're following the 10 commandments.

Last edited by undertaker21 : 12-22-2008 at 05:06 AM.
undertaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #27
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,556
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
I was born and raised a "Christian" but i've never felt like one. The older I got, the more I felt like it was all just a fairy tale that people just believe in to give them hope... And now that i'm older and not living with my parents, I don't go to church, I don't pray, none of it, and it's kind of made me seperated from my family who are for the most part avid believers.

So I have several questions that I would like to know answers to...

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

I have some more, but these are just a few to start off.
LMAO ask these questions to your priest, not here. Unless what you are seeking are:

1. arguments
2. wrong answers
3. make people think about God more
4. sway people from God

If you seek the truth, ask your priest. Or mature Christians who are close with God.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #28
lakers_forever
National High School Star
 
lakers_forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,134
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

I think it means that everyone is bound to be sinful some day in their lives. Like Jesus said : Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
We are born into a sinful world, thus making us sinful ourselves. The world became sinful after the whole Adam/Eve apple thing with the devil, ever since then, anybody born is born into a sinful world and born with sin.


Adam and Eve? I'm brazilian . Most people here in my country is catholic , including me and believe me almost no one believes Adam and Eve as it actually hapenned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
You will go to heaven if you arent baptized and still have accepted Christ as your savior, it is just a symbolic thing, Ive never really understood it myself either. I quote this . You do not need to be baptized to be accepted into heaven, but I also read that it " is the sacramental act of cleansing in water that admits one as a full member of the Church."

Agree with Maniak


Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...

Isn't Jesus supposed to come back at the end of the world??

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

I've never heard god speak to me. I pray and talk to him , becouse I believe, as part of my faith, that he can hear everything and It comforts me. Maybe, someone hears God because he wants to hear, but so what? If that makes him happy and have a better life, good for him
You could say that you can do that if you believe in any God , muslim, christian or whatever and I agree. I'm catholic , but I respect every other religion . In the end, they all search for the same thing , which is God.

I also respect everyone who does not believe in god , of course.

Last edited by lakers_forever : 12-22-2008 at 09:38 AM.
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #29
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4

So I have several questions that I would like to know answers to...


I have some more, but these are just a few to start off.

cw4, your questions and life experience is similiar to many questioning young adults (i used to work in campus ministry at a state university so i have seen this many times before. keep seeking answers and you will be fine.

i will respond primarily out of the catholic theological perspective

following christ is more than an intellectual execise-- it is a lifestyle. while no one is perfect in its practice (we are all sinners), we strive to become like Christ (christian) and we aim toward holiness of life. it is about the person (and as a community) the people we become through the Holy Spirit


1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

the question rides on what it means to be human and the conditions of being human. we are limited beings and part of creation. we have selfish tendencies and because of jealousy, envy, greed etc. we harm ourselves, others and our relationship with God. this is the "sinful" condition we are part of-- the "punishment" is really the effects of these sins

to mature, we really have to move past our images of God as an uber-santa claus in the sky who rewards our good actions and punishes us for our bad actions


2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?

baptism is a cleansing of "original sin"-- a sacramental beginning of a life of grace (unearned blessing from God) and being part of the "body of Christ"--the community of faith. like all sacraments, baptism helps us live in God's presence; to live in the Holy Spirit. heaven is a pure gift from God and that is God's sovereign "judgement"

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...


obviously soon in human terms is different than God's time ( 2 peter 3:8ff-- a day is like a thousand years; a thousand years like a day to God). you refer to the challenge of the "end times" or eschatology-- google it for more info-- i am too lazy to write all the implications right now)

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

personally, i always take these kind of statements from people with a big grain of salt. it could be themselves speaking in their own minds or perhaps they have some sort of mental difficulty. but there are people who are so attune with the spirit that they do receive "inspiration". these generally are much different from someone whispering in your ear though...

the larger issue is discernment. how do we discern what is from God and what is from the Evil Spirit. one school of thought is to look at the outcomes or "fruits". a good tree produces good fruit; a bad tree produces bad fruit.

so if one claims that he heard God tell him to mow down a crowd at the okc thunder basketball game with an uzi, it isnt from God
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #30
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,793
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

I don't believe everything in the Bible, and where I do practice Christianity it's more from a philosophical standpoint than necessarily believing in the mythology. The only one of your questions, for instance, that I actually believe in in any way is #4. I'll answer that one, but think it should be clear that not everyone that believes in God is a Christian, or even part of an established religion.
Quote:
4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?
I have never heard a mysterious voice from above telling me things. I do, however believe that God communicates to us through various life lessons. This is my own personal philosophy here, but I believe that if God is speaking to us, that's how it's done, because the only people claiming to hear God speak to them are jackasses like Bush these days, and that's either lies or self-delusion.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy