Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #31
Jumpshot Virus
Banned
 
Jumpshot Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look ^ mang Gee oH deE wAtcHin
Posts: 604
Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Your question is misleading. There's a difference in believing in a quote on quote "God" and being a Christian who believes in the Christian God. Huge difference.
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #32
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,113
rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
so if one claims that he heard God tell him to mow down a crowd at the okc thunder basketball game with an uzi, it isnt from God

Yes, one might need to go to confession if one heard such a voice. The penance: must actually watch an Okc Thunder game.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!
 
DieHardBullsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,214
DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
I was born and raised a "Christian" but i've never felt like one. The older I got, the more I felt like it was all just a fairy tale that people just believe in to give them hope... And now that i'm older and not living with my parents, I don't go to church, I don't pray, none of it, and it's kind of made me seperated from my family who are for the most part avid believers.

So I have several questions that I would like to know answers to...

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

I have some more, but these are just a few to start off.

Its funny that you mentioned this...because me and my sis were in a deep descusion about this.....our uncle is very religious and hes trying to be a minister and he contridicts himself all the time and its just sad that he wont think open mindedly and puts other people down if they dont worship god like the does...which I think is wrong...

but here are my own answers to your questions....

Sinful at birth: I dont think your sinful at birth, I think its the path that you take to in life that makes you that way....I dont think god would make everyone sinful at birth and then wants us to go to heven...just dont add up to me

Baptised: I believe this is something created by man to make people think you wash away your sins by doing this....I know people who were baptised and lets just say they dont have a first class ticket to heaven I got baptised last year...just because my ex-girlfriend felt strongly about it and believed in it...so I did it...I wasnt living a sinful life....but afterwards, I was the same person and continued to live my life the way I did...didnt feel any different

The end: True...after so much thats happened in the world...you would think Jesus would make an appearence at some point.....we have had worst time than now on this planet......now here is where it gets confusing to me....why would God already have plans to end the world and have this battle between the devil on the last days on earth (bare with me guys not a bible expert by any stretch)...so why wouldnt god, who is so powerful just take out the devil....

but to sum it all up.......do I believe in God?....yes....do I believe in religion?...no.
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #34
Jumpshot Virus
Banned
 
Jumpshot Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look ^ mang Gee oH deE wAtcHin
Posts: 604
Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
but to sum it all up.......do I believe in God?....yes....do I believe in religion?...no.

This is basically the direction of the future for Western nations. Either you're atheist, agnostic or you believe in a Creator, not so much a specific God or gods in general.

Religion is out of order. Many will argue it's not ethical to believe in a God and "not know" who or what that god is. As if it were a false faith in something you have no idea about.

I find it quite the opposite. I find it much more logical to believe in something that created anything and everything around us, simply on pure belief without knowing or having already painted a full picture or hardcore belief in your one true God. How's that exactly logical?

Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #35
Dash
Great young streetballer
 
Dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 512
Dash has decent reputation
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
the larger issue is discernment. how do we discern what is from God and what is from the Evil Spirit. one school of thought is to look at the outcomes or "fruits". a good tree produces good fruit; a bad tree produces bad fruit.

It's all about perspective. A huge portion of what your God "does" in the old testament is considered bad fruit in my book. Some people just have different moral thresholds. To me, as soon as you wipe out the first-born sons of Egypt (including the most innocent of infants), you're a grade-A SOB and are unworthy of worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
so if one claims that he heard God tell him to mow down a crowd at the okc thunder basketball game with an uzi, it isnt from God

God hates competition.

How many people did God kill in the Bible?
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #36
Maniak
... :\
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,261
Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Well put by RBP in this thread...I tried, but I suck at talking to people about faith.

Im suprised this thread didnt get lost in a bunch of random garbage tho, good job ISHiots.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #37
Dash
Great young streetballer
 
Dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 512
Dash has decent reputation
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

There is no reasoning with the religious.

Some people are just so freaked out by the certainty of death and their inability to come to grips with the number 0 that they will go to any and all lengths to justify the unjustifiable.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #38
Jumpshot Virus
Banned
 
Jumpshot Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look ^ mang Gee oH deE wAtcHin
Posts: 604
Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash
There is no reasoning with the religious.

Some people are just so freaked out by the certainty of death and their inability to come to grips with the number 0 that they will go to any and all lengths to justify the unjustifiable.

This statement is true, to an extent. Also, the tables could be turned. I know dozens and dozens of people in RL (much less online) who are atheist, and they go to the extreme. To the extreme of going after religious people regardless of their views and attacking them.

Extreme, hateful, malicious atheists are no better. In fact, the "in your face - die religion die!" type of atheist only prove to me they're going to extremes to instill confidence in themselves that God doesn't exists, because it must obviously be on their mind very heavily. Maybe because they're still unsure of the truth in all this, and that maybe God does exist, but if I pretend to be Mr. Tough Guy and have Christians fight back with me, I only prove God doesn't exist b/c Christians don't act like that.

Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #39
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,113
rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
This statement is true, to an extent. Also, the tables could be turned. I know dozens and dozens of people in RL (much less online) who are atheist, and they go to the extreme. To the extreme of going after religious people regardless of their views and attacking them.

Extreme, hateful, malicious atheists are no better. In fact, the "in your face - die religion die!" type of atheist only prove to me they're going to extremes to instill confidence in themselves that God doesn't exists, because it must obviously be on their mind very heavily. Maybe because they're still unsure of the truth in all this, and that maybe God does exist, but if I pretend to be Mr. Tough Guy and have Christians fight back with me, I only prove God doesn't exist b/c Christians don't act like that.


I, uh, hate to admit it Josh, but I pretty much agree with what you said there. I'll try not to let it happen again.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #40
Jumpshot Virus
Banned
 
Jumpshot Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look ^ mang Gee oH deE wAtcHin
Posts: 604
Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I, uh, hate to admit it Josh, but I pretty much agree with what you said there. I'll try not to let it happen again.

To disagree with someone as legendarily superlative as I, is deliciously eccentric. I'm sure it will happen again.
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #41
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter
 
gencbiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,244
gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I, uh, hate to admit it Josh, but I pretty much agree with what you said there. I'll try not to let it happen again.

LOJ makes good points when he's being serious.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #42
Jumpshot Virus
Banned
 
Jumpshot Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look ^ mang Gee oH deE wAtcHin
Posts: 604
Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
LOJ makes good points when he's being serious.

You're not so bad yourself kiddo when you actually don't act like you're on your period.
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year
 
Styles p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,315
Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

its all fairy tale bull **** the only reason for religion is so people dont go crazy some ppl cant handle the fact that once ur dead your dead.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #44
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter
 
gencbiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,244
gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
its all fairy tale bull **** the only reason for religion is so people dont go crazy some ppl cant handle the fact that once ur dead your dead.

Nobody really knows that. Yes, after you die, it might just feel like eternal sleep. That's sort of scary to think about though for many people. Eternal darkness? Humans tend to fear what they don't know. Main reason for slavery, and racial injustice today. They don't understand the other race, and they're too ignorant to try to learn something about them. So what's the easiest way to show fear? By hating. Kinda like hunchback of Notre Dame.

My point is, that by fearing this eternal darkness, humans created religion and organized thinking. By opposing views that aren't in the best interest of the organization, they oppose their fear.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #45
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,113
rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Nobody really knows that. Yes, after you die, it might just feel like eternal sleep. That's sort of scary to think about though for many people. Eternal darkness? Humans tend to fear what they don't know. Main reason for slavery, and racial injustice today. They don't understand the other race, and they're too ignorant to try to learn something about them. So what's the easiest way to show fear? By hating. Kinda like hunchback of Notre Dame.

My point is, that by fearing this eternal darkness, humans created religion and organized thinking. By opposing views tuhat aren't in the best interest of the organization, they oppose their fear.

Yeah, I fucking hate hunchbacks! Ignorant hunched over mother fuckers. Always creeping around the bell tower scaring the sh*t outta everybody. It totally, uh,....what was your point again?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy