Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
schyza
High School Starter

schyza has decent reputationschyza has decent reputation
Default What is your favorite Chick Hearn Saying?

Most love the Frig saying so I am going to leave that one to someone else. Mine personally was when someone like Vlade would flop and he would say something like “Divac get off your wallet” god I miss that. GOD I MISS CHICK!!!
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool
Default Thank you Chick Hearn !!!!

Chick Hearn was a big part of the Heart Spirit and Soul of the Laker's. He had us glued to the T.V. and our ears to the Radio. He taught us about basketball and how to love the game. He had a grandfather like essence, a grandfather, whom read a story to their grand-kids, and watched their eyes bright up as if they were actually seeing the story happing right there in front of them.
Hearn may be gone but not forgotten, he's love of the game, his spirit will always be with us. There is only one Chick Hearn and he was the greatest.
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
schyza
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
Chick Hearn was a big part of the Heart Spirit and Soul of the Laker's. He had us glued to the T.V. and our ears to the Radio. He taught us about basketball and how to love the game. He had a grandfather like essence, a grandfather, whom read a story to their grand-kids, and watched their eyes bright up as if they were actually seeing the story happing right there in front of them.
Hearn may be gone but not forgotten, he's love of the game, his spirit will always be with us. There is only one Chick Hearn and he was the greatest.

I agree 100%!!! Do you have any good sayings you remember from Chicky Baby you want to share?

I have a few more

“He did the bunny hop in the pea patch”
Definition He was called for traveling.

“He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar”
Definition: A reaching foul.

“The mustard's off the hot dog”
Definition: A player attempts an unnecessarily showy, flashy play which ends up in a turnover or is otherwise unsuccessful.

THERE IS 100 IF NOT 1000 Chick best commentator ever
Old 09-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schyza
I agree 100%!!! Do you have any good sayings you remember from Chicky Baby you want to share?

I have a few more

“He did the bunny hop in the pea patch”
Definition He was called for traveling.

“He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar”
Definition: A reaching foul.

“The mustard's off the hot dog”
Definition: A player attempts an unnecessarily showy, flashy play which ends up in a turnover or is otherwise unsuccessful.

THERE IS 100 IF NOT 1000 Chick best commentator ever

I remember when he said the Mustard's off the hotdog. Jordan had double pumped on a dunk when he was in the air and mised the dunk. I laughed so hard he has to be the best!!!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
schyza
High School Starter

May be this thread would see more action if I just posted the Chick-isms as a refresher that way Laker fans can read reminisce and discuses there favorites.

Chick-isms

Air-ball: A shot that draws nothing but air.
(He sent that one back) Air-mail Special!: A strongly-blocked shot, often sent high into the stands.
Bloooows the layup! : Missed a very easy layup.
Boo-birds: Fans who boo their own team when they play badly.
(He did the) bunny hop in the pea patch: He was called for traveling.
(You could) call it with Braille: An easy call for an official, e.g. a blatant foul.
(He got) caught with his hand in the cookie jar: A reaching foul.
(The) Charity Stripe: The free-throw line.
(He's got 'em) covered like the rug on your floor: Really good one-on-one defense.
(They) couldn't beat the Sisters of Mercy: The team is getting beat badly.
(They) couldn't throw a pea into the ocean: The team's shooting is really awful.
(It'll) count if it goes ...: A player shoots just before the buzzer. It go-o-o-oes! (if the shot is successful)
(That shot) didn't draw iron: A shot which misses the rim, but hits the backboard.
Dime store score: A 10 to 5 score
Dribble-drive: A player drives the basket while dribbling.
Finger roll: A shot where the ball rolls off the shooter's fingers.
(He) fly-swatted (that one): A shot blocked with force and authority.
Football score: A score resembling one often seen in a football game (e.g., 21 to 14).
(He threw up a) frozen rope: A shot with a very flat trajectory.
(We're) high above the western sideline: Chick's perch at the Fabulous Forum, from which he called his word's eye views of the game.
Hippity-hops the dribble: A player dribbling the ball does a little hop step.
I'll bet you an ice-cream: Hearn and Keith Erickson (his one-time color commentator) often bet ice creams on the outcome of a shot or game.
(He's got) ice-water in his veins: When a player hits a clutch free-throw.
(It's) garbage time: The (often sloppily-played) remainder of the game (after it’s in the refrigerator).
Give and Go: A player passes the ball, makes a quick cut, and receives a return pass.
(In & out,) heart-brrrreak!: A shot that appears to go in, but rattles off the rim and misses. Sometimes it went in so far you could read the Commissioner's name from below.
He has two chances, slim and none, and slim just left the building: The player has no chance of success with this play.
If that goes in, I'm walking home: Similar to a prayer, when the opponent shoots a shot that is a prayer, a streak, or some amazing shot. (Usually on the road)
Leapin' Lena: A shot made while the player is in the air and off balance.
(There are) lots of referees in the building, only three getting paid: The entire crowd acts as though they are the officials by disagreeing with a call.
The mustard's off the hot dog: A player attempts an unnecessarily showy, flashy play which ends up in a turnover or is otherwise unsuccessful.
Nervous time: When the final moments of a game are pressure-packed.
94-by-50 hunk of wood: Simply put, a basketball court's dimensions. (Attacking 47 feet: The front court.)
No harm, no foul(no blood, no ambulance, no stitches): A non-call by an official when varying degrees of contact have occurred. More adjectives means the non-call was more questionable.)
Not Phi Beta Kappa: Simply put, not a smart play.
...Since Hector was a pup A very long time (e.g., the Lakers haven't had the lead since Hector was a pup.)
He's in the Popcorn Machine (with butter and salt all over him): Meaning that a defensive player got faked into the air by an offensive player's pump fake.
(He's) on him like a postage stamp: Very tight defense, simply put.
Slam dunk!: Hearn's most famous phrase; a powerful shot where a player forces the ball through the rim with one or both hands.
(He) takes him to the third floor and leaves him at the mezzanine: A move where an offensive player pump-fakes a defender and draws a foul from the leaping player.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'!: The game's outcome is set; only the final score is in question.
Throws up a brick: When a player tosses up a particularly errant shot.
Throws up a prayer (... it's answered!!!): A wild shot that will need a miracle to score (and does).
Ticky-tack: A foul called when very little contact has been made.
Triple-double: A player gets 10 or more (i.e. double digits) in three statistical categories: points, rebounds, assists, steals or blocked shots.
(On his) wallet: A player fell on his rear end.
Words-eye view: What listeners received while listening to Hearn call the game on the radio.
(He's) working on his Wrigleys. A player is chewing gum.
(He's) yo-yo-ing up and down: A player is standing there dribbling the ball up and down as if it was a yo-yo on a string.

[edit]
Nicknames for Laker players
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Cap, The Captain, Big Fella
Kobe Bryant: The Kid
Cedric Ceballos: Garbage Man
Michael Cooper: Secretary of Defense
Rick Fox: Foxy
Gail Goodrich: Stumpy (because of his height) This nickname, frequently used by Hearn, was actually given to Goodrich by teammate Elgin Baylor.
Magic Johnson: Buck
Shaquille O'Neal: Big Fella
Kurt Rambis: Blue-collar Kurt, Clark Kent (because of his safety glasses)
Jerry West: Mr. Clutch, Zeke from Cabin Creek
James Worthy: Big Game James
Nick Van Exel: Nick the Quick, Nick Van Excellent
Sedale Threatt: Thief of Baghdad
Eddie Jones: Fast Eddie, The Pickpocket
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'!
I think there was only one time Chick said that a little early!! And someone proved him wrong. Jordan. Chick calls the game. Jordan gives him a look, and shook his head. Laker's were up by like 13 or 15 with only a few minutes left, and before you knew it after a few 3's and uncalled fouls like when they were going to pass the ball in Jordan would push a player before he could catch it, and before you new it they scored. That was one of the best come backs and the only time Chick was wrong. I have a VHS tape of it stored some where I'm going to dig it up and watch it again to make sure I got all my fact right. That was a long time ago. I hope my VCR still work!!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

Here's a Chick Hearn Story I like to share with you' all: Chick-ie Baby was a living legend at the time when I was fortunate enough to meet on the job where I transported both Chick and his wonderful wife Marge from MGM to Caesars back in june of 02" here in Vegas when they we're my customers inside my limo. I had told Chick that I'm a long time Laker fanatic and even showed him the Laker logo I have as my screen saver in my cell phone. Chick and I shared interesting Laker related stories and I had also told Chick about the times I met Elden Campbell and Nick Van Exel on two separate ocasions when they we're my customers aswell. It's ironic to have Chicks' voice come alive in my limo where I'm used to listening to his voice broadcasting all the Laker games on the radio when I'm working. Both Chick & Marge carried a good conversation w/me and I felt like I've known them all my life they're truly good people. Chick is a gentleman and a scholar who gave me his autograph upon request and must I add a very good tipper aswell. Here's some more Chick-isms not listed: RIP

1. Ball went around the rim like a "Motorcycle in a motor drome".

2. The Lakers haven't been tied "Since they got off the bus."

3. Rambis "Couldn't hit the side of the barn" if he tried".

4. Magic's got "Eyes in the back of his head".

5. Magic's going "Back and forth like a windshield wiper".

Last edited by *LAKERS_3_PETE* : 09-20-2006 at 08:30 AM.
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: