Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
J000
ISH #1 AFGHAN

J000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Don't panic yet

I havn't looked at the standings in a while, but don't panic yet. 5 games below .500 is nothing. We are 2 games away of making 8th seed in the East.

Hopefully a win tonight in Portland will be good.
Hell, 2-3 more wins we might end up in 7th seed.

Philly, Milwuakee, NJ, Chicago and Toronto are real close for anyone's information that don't look at the standings.
J000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Don't panic yet

The 7th and 8th seeds will just lead to a 1st round slaughter. The 6th seed doesn't give too much hope either. I'd rather be in the lottery.

The Raptors need to either be really good or just bad. This current roster will lead them to nothing more than the treadmill of mediocrity. The worst situation you could be in.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The 7th and 8th seeds will just lead to a 1st round slaughter. The 6th seed doesn't give too much hope either. I'd rather be in the lottery.

The Raptors need to either be really good or just bad. This current roster will lead them to nothing more than the treadmill of mediocrity. The worst situation you could be in.

+1

In today's NBA, you fight to get into the playoffs and get dominated, or dominate the regular season to fight for a championship. The NBA has lost strength in its middle ground and the raptors unfortunately are stuck there.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i agree with the other two. We are going to make the playoffs and then be butchered. I rather have a bad year and get a high first round draft pick. I look at the Spurs and how they got Duncan. You need excellent GM and a strong draft. Even though BC ****ed up his very first one with Bargnani, i still believe and trust BC. I rather see the raptors not make hte playoffs this year and get a high pick in the draft unless they are able to trade for a guy that can suddenly improve this team and fill its gap.

I have argued against this in the past and have said that I rather have my team in the playoffs even if it means a first round exit. But thats a flawed argument now. I want my team to win and be the best of the best. If that means sacrificing a year for the eventual betterment, then i am all for that.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far

Lottery Four extra games Vs. Boston or Cleveland

I would rather save myself from the embarassement and at least have something to be excited about in offseason, I'd go for the TANK. Unless Colangelo magically improves this team in the next couple of weeks, he'll be left with two major questions:

1) What players should he move to facilitate the tanking? and how does he convince Bosh that this is the right strategy for the team's future?

2) If Colangelo feels Bosh doesn't agree with the team's direction, should he consider moving CB4?

Unfortunatly, I believe that the only place the raptors can re-tool their wing position is in the draft, a high lottery pick and another first rounder might be able to save the Raptors chances to retain Bosh. James Harden, Stephen Curry, Demar DeRozan , Kyle Singler and Tyler Smith can potentially tend to Toronto's needs and intrigue Bosh enough to stay.

Last edited by pocketWs : 12-27-2008 at 11:12 PM.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

I hate to say it but Q is right. We aren't beating Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando in the playoffs. Period. At this point, the best we're probably gonna do is the 7th or 8th seed and as Q said, i'd almost rather miss the playoffs and get a good lottery pick than to crawl in and get swept.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I hate to say it but Q is right. We aren't beating Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando in the playoffs. Period. At this point, the best we're probably gonna do is the 7th or 8th seed and as Q said, i'd almost rather miss the playoffs and get a good lottery pick than to crawl in and get swept.

Trade some players ..... Joey, Bargnani, Moon, Kapono, etc get get SG/SF soon see how the season goes from there, if anything we can tank later ..... we owe it to the fans of the city to play well we didn't acquire Jermaine O'Neil in the off season to get worse than we were last season, that doesn't make any sense at all, ...... like i said make a trade soon for a legit guard see how it plays out with Bosh and a wing and go from there ......
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i hate it that whenever we start talking about trades, tanking the season someone has to bring up the whole trading Bosh scenario. Why the **** would a franchise trade away its superstar if he has not demanded a trade or things haven't turned sour between them? There is no way in hell that BC is going to trade away Bosh unless there is some request by Bosh. The raptor franchise value/impression/credibility would be tarnished and no FA would want to come to this city if BC all of a sudden decided to get rid of Bosh without reason. Just stfu kid.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

there are 52 games left in the season
if we went .500 from here on out we would finish 38-44
that honestly in this years eastern conference would at best sneak us into 8th and lead to a thrashing by the celtics

or perhaps we do a little better than .500 from now with a record like 41-41, we'd still get spanked by the cavs, and we do better than that like 45-37, we'd have to play a team like the magic, hawks or pistons.

you may call me a pessimist all you like, but their is plenty to be pessimistic about
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #10
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i hate it that whenever we start talking about trades, tanking the season someone has to bring up the whole trading Bosh scenario. Why the **** would a franchise trade away its superstar if he has not demanded a trade or things haven't turned sour between them? There is no way in hell that BC is going to trade away Bosh unless there is some request by Bosh. The raptor franchise value/impression/credibility would be tarnished and no FA would want to come to this city if BC all of a sudden decided to get rid of Bosh without reason. Just stfu kid.

First off the reason people come up with different ideas and scenarios is because is to bring insight to a conversation and alternate solutions to a problem. By mentionning the scenario of see Bosh leave the Raptors via trade, why I felt compelled to respond, I was trying to project what directions were possible for the Raps if they decided to tank the season. In no way would I be pleased to see Colangelo deal Bosh, but many of you seem to forget that on the trade market only Bosh has a benificial value for the Raps. O'Neal's value is hurt by the amount of money owed to him and his contract structure; Calderone's value is deminished by his lack of defensive skills. I'm not saying Toronto wouldn't get anything good for these two players, what I'm saying is that we'd have to package them with either Bargnani, Kapono, Parker or Graham and probably a first rounder to get a superior player. T.O.'s trade assets are weak, and to even think that Colangelo can land a quality starting wing by packaging Bargnani, Kapono, Parker or Graham is crazy!

The possibility of trading any player on this team has to be discussed if brought up, the Raptors are an underacheiving team with a maxed-out cap and weak trade assets, any realistic, sometimes unpopular suggestions should be welcomed.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Trade some players ..... Joey, Bargnani, Moon, Kapono, etc get get SG/SF soon see how the season goes from there, if anything we can tank later ..... we owe it to the fans of the city to play well we didn't acquire Jermaine O'Neil in the off season to get worse than we were last season, that doesn't make any sense at all, ...... like i said make a trade soon for a legit guard see how it plays out with Bosh and a wing and go from there ......

I actually agree with you for once jrcp3. I would much rather go down swinging and attempting to trade for another quality piece than to just tank the seaosn and go through another lottery. We've done this so many times before. We have some decent pieces to play with in Bosh, O'Neal and Calderon. Who knows what another quality guard will do for this team? If we tank this seaosn and have a "rebuilding" year next year. Bosh is gonezo IMO.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
J000
ISH #1 AFGHAN

J000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't like this whole "tanking idea"
B.C's first year started off 2-12, did we tank? We ended up being 3rd seed. The whole point is dont tank yet an fight for a playoff spot.
J000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J000
I don't like this whole "tanking idea"
B.C's first year started off 2-12, did we tank? We ended up being 3rd seed. The whole point is dont tank yet an fight for a playoff spot.

No matter how we each put it, we all want the Raptors to have success and compete for a championship. We're not even at the mid-way point of the season, so things can change on and off the court. IF the Raptors manage to deal for that ideal wing we're all praying for, they might be able to make the playoffs with the fifth or sixth seed this season and have a strong post-season. The whole "tanking idea" stems from the possibility of barely making the playoffs without acquiring a quality wing player. This possibility does nothing for the Raptors, a mid first rounder and lots of pressure on the front office to land a quality player with whatever cap-room the team will have in the offseason.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: