Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default You Are The GM of The Bungles:What Moves Do You Make

You know the drill by now.

Draft Position:4th

Needs:Hope, Faith, and Charity

Teams Previously Covered:
Seattle Seahawks

Jacksonville Jaguars

Oakland Raiders

St. Louis Rams

Detroit Lions

The cupboard is relatively bare in The Queen City. After looking over their roster, I am having a hard time identifying assets. Maybe mlh could fill in some of the holes. The defense needs help, and the running game needs some TLC. Carson Palmer was injured again this year, and Marvin Lewis is more than likely out of a job. I know Bengals fans are pining for the days of Boomer and Ickey.

Assets:
Carson Palmer QB IR
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB
TJ Houz....WR
Chris Henry WR
Chad Ocho Cinco WR
Jerome Simpson WR
Levi Jones OL
Leon Hall DB
Dexter Jackson DB IR
Abdul Hodge LB IR
Keith Rivers LB IR
Reggie Kelly TE

TJ is a free agent, and Ocho will more than likely make some noise in the summer. The defense continues to need an upgrade as well.

Last edited by Dasher : 12-29-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: You Are The GM of The Bungles:What Moves Do You Make

I believe it all starts with Marvin Lewis, but don't be so quick to believe the rumors he may be fired by the end of this week. He's still under contract until 2010, and Mike Brown has a reputation of letting things run out or getting the most bang for his buck. Lewis may have saved his ass by the Bengals finishing the season with some momentum.

I still believe Palmer is one of the league's (Top 3) most elite QBs. Chad Johnson needs to just swallow his pride already and realize he's not going to get his way being a cry baby. If TJ and Ocho Cinco could pull things together, and if Palmer can get healthy, the Bengals have a legit shot at making the playoffs even with a lackluster defense. The wild-card would be improving their running game.

I believe a new coaching staff would really turn this team around; and not some run-of-the-mill has-been. I could see Mike Brown getting rid of Lewis, and taking a hit on who he hires next due to losing money on Lewis' contract. Brown needs to really break open the penny bank if he wishes to get the Bungals out of the basement.

I think TJ wants to stay in Cincinnati, and more importantly, he realizes how great Palmer is, and I don't he'd risk playing under a less talented QB.
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Where to begin? Well, for starters, hiring an actual GM would be a good start. Mike Brown is the worst owner in the NFL. He only cares about making a profit. He could give a damn about putting a winning product on the field. The meaningless winning streak to close the season will probably motivate him to "stay the course" meaning that there will be very little change. I expect most of the team to return, along with Marvin Lewis.

I don't watch much college football outside the occasional Ohio State game here and there, but their first pick ought to go to an offensive lineman. I have heard Michael Oher's name being tossed around. He is an OT from Mississippi. I would go with him. It all starts up front. Also heard rumors that we might draft Chris Wells from OSU, or LB Aaron Curry from Wake Forest.

The Bengals are a source of embarrassment to the city of Cincinnati. I live out of state and I'm sure I get laughed at for wearing their gear around town. Noone takes us seriously. We aren't anyone's rivals. Teams look at us, and chalk us down in the "W" column.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

MLH - in a sense, we're still a huge rival of the Steelers. You're right about Mike Brown though; dude is a cheapskate. His father Mr. Paul Brown would be turning over in his grave if he knew his son was managing the Bengals this way. Cincinnati is selling tickets right now, and while we don't get many games on CBS, FOX or NBC, we're still very popular in Cincinnati and the surrounding suburbs (OH, KY & IN metro area).

So it'd be safe to say the Bengals live and die off their hometown fans, and Mike Brown is fully aware of this, and until the Bengals begin to drop into status worse then the Lions or Chiefs, I don't see him really emptying his pockets to keep the team competitive in the AFC. The Chiefs like the Bengals live and die off their success at home, but unlike KC, Bengals have a nice / modern stadium, which helps keep attendance up.

Yes, we need a legit GM to make things happen behind the scenes, something of which Marvin Lewis has been garbage at doing lately.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^44 consecutive sellouts for the Bengals now. Mike Brown may be a cheapskate, but he knows how sports fans think. No matter how dreadful a situation is, people will hop back on the wagon once training camp starts. A bunch of "hope springs eternal" stuff. That, or "hey, we can't POSSIBLY be any worse." You'll hear stuff from players/coaches that last year was a "learning experience" and that they will need to put together 60 minutes of football, be more consistent. A bunch of stuff such as how "player x" rededicated himself to the game, and spent x amount of hours in the weight room, yada, yada, yada............

I think fans of bad sports teams wait for the day that they can say "I was there from the start, baby!" There is something quite special about seeing a team at their absolute worst, and being patient as they build back up and put together something special. I remember that feeling when the Cavs put away the Pistons in the 2007 eastern conference finals, because I remember how DREADFUL the Cavs had been for a long time.

Other than the 2005 season, the Bengals have managed to defy the NFL model, which is that of quick reversals in fortune. It's almost quite amazing, if it wasn't so pathetic. But hey, it can't get any worse, can it? Only one direction they can go! (right guys, right? )
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
I think fans of bad sports teams wait for the day that they can say "I was there from the start, baby!" There is something quite special about seeing a team at their absolute worst, and being patient as they build back up and put together something special.

Great statement. I've forever been a fan of the Bengals and KC Royals. I've never been to Kansas City, and know almost nothing about the city itself minus that Tech n9ne hails from there. So, why would I be a fan of the Royals? I've always enjoyed pulling for the underdog.

Same is true for the Bengals, except is goes much, much deeper. I've been a Bengals fan since the early to mid 90's. I didn't really get into the NFL hardcore until the late 90's. I've never been big into NCAA football, but I watched Palmer play in many games, and when the Bengals took him # 1, I knew it'd be the perfect match for a "basement" franchise.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

First thing's first, the Bungals must find a city.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez

What are you smoking? Cincinnati is the perfect spot for them. Paul Brown wouldn't have any team of his playing in any city outside of Ohio. Hey, how does the LA Bengals sound?

... or maybe the Portland Bengals ...

Milwaukee Bengals ...

There's really no other "open" markets out there for them, and it wouldn't be like LA would open their arms for a team like the Bungals.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

catz - if you were getting at the point that players don't want to live in a city like Cincinnati, then OK, I can somewhat see your point, but that's not the reason for their lackluster seasons of late. Chad Johnson for example doesn't want out of Cincinnati b/c he hates the city, he just wants to win, and he feels Marvin Lewis isn't the guy that can lead his team to success. Plus, he doesn't get along with TJ.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:

They can move to my hometown of Athens, OH. I need an excuse to move back there (hate it here in Pittsburgh, but that's a different story for another thread lol)
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
They can move to my hometown of Athens, OH. I need an excuse to move back there (hate it here in Pittsburgh, but that's a different story for another thread lol)

I thought you loved it there? I'm assuming you and your girl split up maybe? Sorry for being personal LOL.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think everyone missed my joke.

The Bungals aren't a real team, hence they need to find a city.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
I think everyone missed my joke.

The Bungals aren't a real team, hence they need to find a city.

OK catz - I get it now... damn you're a cheezy mofo

Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
OK catz - I get it now... damn you're a cheezy mofo

I know, I know.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
You Are The GM of The Bungles:What Moves Do You Make
Sign Mr. Bungle
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: