Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far
Default Raptor fans most fickle of all!

Okay now I am getting the vibe that a parade route might take place in June just like the same vibe after they started 3-0.

They were not as good as their 3-0 start but they are not as bad as some of their low points this season.

But that is the nature of the Toronto fan (if that is what they should be called). How many have been on & off the bandwagon multiple times this year already?

Are some of you still wanting to blow it up or make slight adjustments? lol
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation
Default Re: Raptor fans most fickle of all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
Okay now I am getting the vibe that a parade route might take place in June just like the same vibe after they started 3-0.

They were not as good as their 3-0 start but they are not as bad as some of their low points this season.

But that is the nature of the Toronto fan (if that is what they should be called). How many have been on & off the bandwagon multiple times this year already?

I'm not going to lie. I was seriously considering abandoning this team after they lost to OKC.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

That's what happens when things dont go the right way.

You say Fickle? you haven't seen the Hockey side of things in Toronto then.

I will say this through, if your team on paper is amazing, started out really well and yet sitting 5 pts out of the final playoff spot with only 48 games left to play plus the amount of Raptor fans giving their opinions? ( fyi over 35k posts 2nd next to the lakers ) I am glad we only have a handful of professionals out there running Raptors because if it was up to the fans, we will have 13 different players start of every season.

People complaint, welcome to reality. We are passionate on both our hockey and basketball and I have to say as much as i don't like reading ppl saying trade this for that, we want our team to improve and we want our team to win and if that's their way to express themselves then so be it, after all that is what forums are all about, ranting!
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
That's what happens when things dont go the right way.

You say Fickle? you haven't seen the Hockey side of things in Toronto then.

I will say this through, if your team on paper is amazing, started out really well and yet sitting 5 pts out of the final playoff spot with only 48 games left to play plus the amount of Raptor fans giving their opinions? ( fyi over 35k posts 2nd next to the lakers ) I am glad we only have a handful of professionals out there running Raptors because if it was up to the fans, we will have 13 different players start of every season.

People complaint, welcome to reality. We are passionate on both our hockey and basketball and I have to say as much as i don't like reading ppl saying trade this for that, we want our team to improve and we want our team to win and if that's their way to express themselves then so be it, after all that is what forums are all about, ranting!

Exactly. We just had a 4 win December, and our team is second in the league to only Indiana in coughing up double digit leads. Obviously there was a large cause for concern. And despite being in 9th place, we realistically know that 6-8 is a death wish. If we had gone jumping off a cliff after a 2 or 3 game losing streak that'd be one thing, but we had a horrible stretch, losing all the games we should lose and winning only a small portion of the games we should win. We're passionate about our team, so obviously when things start going down the drain we're gonna be thinking of ways to improve either for the short term or for the long term. If you don't like that, you've come to the wrong place.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
huppcap
Local High School Star

I should of stated it is not just about the past month or two or past 10 months. It's the past several years at least.

Even when they have had a .500 record or better fans were calling for Mitchell's head. Their reasoning was that he was not getting the maximum out of the players. They finally get their wish and their record gets even worse. Then probably many of those same people start clamouring to fire the GM (oh because now it is the players fault). Or come up with some stupid trade proposal. Some of those that wanted Babcock fired now are doubting that was a good idea.

I think there is a fine line between passionate and impatient and having a vision. There are about 20 other teams in the NBA who have not won a championship since and before the Raptors have been in the league. If 'fans' think the Raptors have it bad ask Milwaukee, the Knicks, New Jersey Nets, 76ers, Clippers, etc. I know, I know. As fans of a Toronto franchise we have higher standards than other cities because we are so much better than that.

Some of the things I read in here people have no idea. Some don't get the facts before ripping the organization or someone specifically. ie. Babcock did not want Aurajo. Jack McClosky (special advisor and former builder of late 80s Pistons champions) who basically got Babcock the Raptor job wanted Aurajo.

Not saying that it is not good to want your team to succeed but there were people in here jumping ship in Colangelo's first full season as GM when the Raptors started slow. Logic would have it that it would take at least 20 games or more for a team with so many new faces to get it together but from what I read in here in fall of 2006 there was not much logic. At 7-14 it was time to fire Mitchell or blow up the team, get rid of Garbajosa or Parker or Bargnani or Ford. Things have not changed a lot since.

The Raptors can't make a knee jerk move for a very short term gain. What they do can affect them in the short term and longer term. Everyone is afraid Bosh is going to bolt. If he does maybe it is a good thing. Who knows. Of course they need a better swingman. But that means totally giving up on Bargnani who still has potential and has shown some of it. Where are all those people who clamoured for Adam Morrison over 2 years ago? (What about missing out on Denhem Brown and Jaun Mendez other years? lol)

Maybe they get rid of O'Neal and take on a good swingman with a long contract that the current team is no longer wanting on their books but that has ramifications for the Raptors for 2010.

Even if they make a move now how much better will it make them for this season's playoffs or to try to get them home court advantage. Home court advantage is almost impossible.

Opinions are fine and discussion is fine but IMO many people's ideas in here would make the team way worse. People slam the organization too quickly whether it be the GM, players, coaches etc. (And again not just now but 2years ago already.) Instant gratification is the word. Colangelo stated it would take several years. This is his 3rd full season (2 and a third in to be more precise) and let's fire the GM. No one knows what he has up his sleeve.

True fans do not jump on & off the bandwagon. There are too many of those around.

Anyways getting a bit off topic.

Just taking a bit of information also from Doug Smith ie. Toronto Star who knows the league, other teams' fans and other NBA insiders who have told him the Raptor 'fans' are a bit of a different breed.

End of rant.

Last edited by huppcap : 01-05-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

we'll be fine, finish 41-41 ish and make playoffs

I never lost hope.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
we'll be fine, finish 41-41 ish and make playoffs

I never lost hope.

Same, I never lost hope, but I lol'd at some that wanted to get Chris Bosh out here, tank the whole season.

Although I'm still hoping for trades.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap

Not sure where you're getting most of this. Parade route? No. They've won a couple games straight and looked good doing it after a god-awful start to the season, and as fans we're appreciative.

At the risk of sounding like a homer, there's not a fanbase in the NBA that cares more about their team as this one. The U.S. has 29 different NBA teams - Canada has one. So no offense to Charlotte or OKC or other expansion teams, but nobody outside of the Raptors can grasp what it's like to be a fan of this team. Try taking away 28 of those teams for a decade & a half and putting the basketball hopes of an entire country on the shoulders of one team, and tell me you don't feel a vested interest in just seeing that team win in some consistent way.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

huppcap...I agree with some of what you said. But the issue with the raps is that the future does not look great. We have very little in terms of potential in house. If we aren't going to do anything important with Bosh, then trading him is the only responsible thing to do for this team's future, if that trade helps the future. There have been countless examples of teams keeping players around and having it hurt them in the long run as they ended up leaving for nothing.

For me, being 41-41 and making the playoffs and getting smoked in the first round is not a good season. It does nothing for us now, or in the future. It gives us a lower pick (to add potential). It is brutal to be stuck in the middle ground....not good enough to really do anything and not bad enough to get high draft picks. What is worse is when your in the lower part of that middle ground (fighting for the 8th seed in the East).

Totally brutal analogy here....but it's like the fantasy basketball team that has Lebron and is unwilling to trade him for basically anything, but finishes like 9th place in a 12 team league. What the hell is the point?
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just making the playoffs is meaningless this year. I don't care how bad a draft may be, I'll take a lottery pick over a 1st round sweep. The Raptors are not a team that needs a "symbolic" playoff spot anymore. They've made it there the past 2 seasons and it's time to aim higher.

Michael Grange today summed up how I feel about the Raptors and their season at this point:

Quote:
And the die for the season is pretty much cast by now, isn't it? With the worst of the schedule behind them the Raptors will play at a .500 clip and maybe better; enough to be in mix for a five to eight seed right through to April. This will set the stage for an obliteration in the first round and a middle first-round pick in a weak draft. Then more shuffling of deck chairs for a team that is set to be distinctly average for the forseeable future unless something dramatic is engineered by the likes of Colangelo. But hey, what do I know?

In Colangelo's mind, this is the future of the Raptors:

PG - Calderon
PF - Bosh
C - Bargnani

Does anyone see this as ever being a title contender? Maybe if the Raptors find all-stars for SG and SF (yea right). The big issue here will be rebounding and interior D. Even Bosh, for all the good he does, I'd say is "only" a solid rebounder. He's nothing special in this area. Bargnani is a terrible rebounder. Neither are forces in terms of interior D either.

The reason why I don't get as excited over some of these streaks the Raptors put together is because in the end, I just don't think much of this team's future as a title contender. And at this point, that's all that matters to me.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

It's sad you beat two very good teams ..... and you go and lose to a below average team.

RIGHT NOW ill just blame it on the back - back ..... the true test will be Washington on Wednesday!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
RIGHT NOW ill just blame it on the back - back ..... the true test will be Washington on Wednesday!

Right now I will just blame it on Will Solomon + poor decision making down the stretch. Hopefully we pull out a win against Wash.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We need to find a SG/SF in the middle of the draft. Sick players have been had there. Danny Granger, Josh Howard, two examples.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A Bargnani/Bosh/Calderon future makes me sick to my stomach and sad to be an avid Raptors fan/supporter.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
huppcap
Local High School Star

Unfortunately you guys are getting off topic. But then again some of this may support my point.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: