Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Stuckey 13-3 as Starter, Pistons Darkhorse Champion?

Impossible is nothing?

Imagine the BALL DONT LIE we would get from an emotional Sheed if the Pistons can get a win in the finals.

Don't jynx it, your thinking, your jumping way too far ahead, the Pistons aren't even at the top of the east this season... with deeper competition how do you expect this team who traditionally fell short against a weaker group, how do you expect them to go all the way?

Right now this team is winning with D. With Stuckey on the rise as a legit 6'5 pointguard and a 13-3 record as a starter averaging 18/6/4 on 50/50 FG% (as of Jan. 4), this team might not even need to make a deadline trade to have a great playoff run ahead of them.

Sheed's technicals will earn him a vacation and time for Amir and Maxiell to develop. Amir Johnson might even have time to learn how to finish and play D without fouling so much. Maxiell is legit as well we saw him D up Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler last season. Some blast Sheed for his attitude but I think it gives us spirit. And with his propensity for teaching young bigs I think it will pay off for us in the end.

Some Pistons fans are calling for trading Rip Hamilton for a big man. That with Aaron Aflallo's impressive defense, trading Rip for Boozer would be a good way to go..He could step in for Rip, let Tay slide to his natural 3, and provide the inside scoring that would complete the team.

Too risky. Boozer is injury prone and not a great defender. I trust Joe D better than myself, but I'm not sure sacrificing Rip's midrange game for Boozer would make better enough to pull the trigger. Right now we have so many guards who go to the hoop that putting Boozer down there who is used to a set Jerry Sloan system won't work well enough in time for the playoffs.

In a sentence, the Pistons are better off sticking to what they have.
Stuckey is an emerging star, and with the depth of the squad around him he won't need to carry the team every night. Allen Iverson has the hunger that KG had last season, if not the skill.

AI, Stuckey, Rasheed, Prince, Hamilton, McDyess, Afflalo, Herrman, Maxiell, Johnson, Brown, Bynum

Despite the record, we've got a deep squad with the potential to go all the way this season.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Hotbullets
High School Varsity 12th Man

Hotbullets has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Stuckey 13-3 as Starter, Pistons Darkhorse Champion?

What do you mean "despite" the record? They're doing great! Okay, they lost to some pretty lousy teams, but they did after all lose their true playmaker. Iverson needs some time to gel, and when he decides to take on a sixth man role, the Pistons will be a force in the east. Book it.
Hotbullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
H2whoa
Detoit. Represent.

H2whoa has decent reputationH2whoa has decent reputation

I think Rip will end up as the sixth man. AI has played nothing but phenomenal these past few games, and has saved our butts more times than he's cost it. And our record ain't "great" atm, were 5th still in the eastern confrence (right?) last year at this time, we were 1st.
But what we have to keep in mind is that that wasn't the case in '04 ;)
H2whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

francesco totti has decent reputationfrancesco totti has decent reputation

RIP got to go to the bench. And Pistons got 5 bigs Amir, Kwame, Dyess, Sheed & Maxiell. So sticking to what you have isnt wrong. Amir is doing fine job defensively and curry got a lot of praise to him lately.Tho he fouls alot, and he cant play more then 35 minutes a game coz he would foul out

The main worry is zone defense, walter hermann cant hit three's anymore. Thats really a problem left.Other then that, the team is doing fine. Stuckey is emerging as a star, team defense improved alot with Amir playing.

Cant wait till Playoffs
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco totti
RIP got to go to the bench. And Pistons got 5 bigs Amir, Kwame, Dyess, Sheed & Maxiell. So sticking to what you have isnt wrong. Amir is doing fine job defensively and curry got a lot of praise to him lately.Tho he fouls alot, and he cant play more then 35 minutes a game coz he would foul out

The main worry is zone defense, walter hermann cant hit three's anymore. Thats really a problem left.Other then that, the team is doing fine. Stuckey is emerging as a star, team defense improved alot with Amir playing.

Cant wait till Playoffs
funny how we arent satisfied with a 20-11 record after the last 8 years. its on pace for 52 wins.

I also though herrmann wasnt making any 3s, but hes actually shooting 40% from behind the arc (despite his 0-4 the last 3 games)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This team is obviously not a championship caliber team. They are playing people out of position which makes us very weak defensively at times. In the playoffs when things go to more of a half court style offense it will show even more. We have two options to deal with as fans. We can be patient and settle for a mediocre season, let AI's contract drop off and hope we can improve in free agency and the draft. Or we can trade AI or Rip before the trade deadline. I would prefer AI. Honestly a player like Marion, O'neal, or Boozer does this team much more good than AI does. To have Wallace and one of those guys down low with him makes every teams job more difficult defensively. Right now when we have a lineup of Wallace and Prince as our bigs we get taken advantage of. We are going to run into this problem as long as AI and Rip are both on our roster. They both play the same position and it's obvious AI will not be happy coming off the bench. Stuckey should be the starter at PG. He's proven himself at this point. I don't think the Pistons will make a trade, so I think we're going to have to settle with the fact that there are teams that are better than us this year. We probably won't make the ECF. We're going to have to let the long term effect of this trade take it's place and that is cap space. Once we can do something with that we will be a powerhouse again.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
H2whoa
Detoit. Represent.

I'd say trade Rip. AI has done much more help to us than he has done harm. Rip, since the AI trade atleast, I cannot say the same.
Besides that though, the whole teams work ethic has been pitiful. Rip doesn't like starting at the SF, especially with trade rumours swirling around him. Tayshaun doesn't like playing the PF. And Sheed, when a PF plays like a SG it's not good. When your center is throwing up 11 3 pointers in one game, you know you're in trouble. Everyone thinks AI is the problem. Ever since the trade Pistons have sucked. AI is making the line up hard. If we have a problem, it's because of AI.
This team is dealing with change. Something it hasn't dealt in, what? 5 years? As fans we're simply not used to this. What do I suggest? We wait it out. What if we don't make it to the ECF? Only 4 teams in the NBA make conference finals, there's 30 teams in the league. If everything were to always go our way, we'd have a couple more banners hanging in the palace right now. If AI is the problem? We don't resign him. No big.
But to me, we needed change, and our trade was by no means a bad one. IMO, Allen Iverson was never the problem, he will forever be the answer.

Now don't get me started on Michael Curry.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can't be mad at Rip or Tay for not wanting to play out of position. They shouldn't have to. Rip hasn't been as effective because the team hasn't been getting him the ball when he's popping off of those screens. There is no fluid offense being run now. I don't think it's his game that has dropped off. It's still there, it's just not being utilized. For that I blame the coach and AI. AI obviously doesn't fit. Just seeing how much better Denver is without him should be enough for us to realize this guy just isn't a true team player. While he is a great talent he doesn't make players around him better.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
H2whoa
Detoit. Represent.

Michael Curry. I don't like that guy. I just don't. I shouldn't even have to say anything else, I'd love to just end there.

I'd love to see the Pistons (WITH ALLEN IVERSON) with a coach. Not a former player who played defense (When they talk about Larry Browns championships, they talk about Michael Currys dfense) The Pistons have one of the best potential youth line ups out there (Stuck, Afflalo, Max, Amir, bigman) but their not going to get any better with Michael Curry. It sickens me how much potential this team has, and how much it's going to waste.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I can say I don't like what Curry has done thus far either. For sure he needs to get a back bone and tell someone they aren't starting. Joe D is just as much to blame right now too, as much as I hate to do it. He pulled the trigger on the AI deal and he hired Curry. I don't think he's getting GM of the year this year. Hopefully once we get some cap space he can redeem himself.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
H2whoa
Detoit. Represent.

So, what do ya'll think? Do you think next season we will have . . .
Allen Iverson?
Rip Hamilton?
Michael Curry?
Rasheed Wallace?
Do you think anyone else will be gone?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Curry will get another year.

Sheed will make it a family decision, but I think we need to keep him and find another star caliber foward to put alongside him.

AI will have to take less money. If someone offers him stupid money than he is gone, if not he may stay to try to win. He would also have to take a different role.

Rip and AI can't co-exist IMO. They are both stars that play the same position. I like Rip because he is 3 years younger, understands the team concept, and can play D. Rip stays if AI goes and I also think vice-versa, if AI stays than Rip will be traded.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

This team is going to be at best second round fodder for either Boston or Cleveland. I'd rather face the Cavaliers right now as it would prolong our suffering. Playing the Celtics in the second round, we'll go out like we did in 2002…

The team is a mess right now. Alot of uncertainty right now and just going to have to play through it and hope for the best.

The Pistons had a 6 game loosing streak the year we won the Championship. Rick Carlisle's Pistons had 7 game loosing streaks in both his seasons, and we actually fell under .500 in 2002 (exactly 7 years ago at 19-20). I guess I'm just rambling on here but its gut check time… Time to see who the real fans are and who the bandwagon fans are… It may look rough right now, but its been worse… and I'll be here regardless, supporting this team.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #14
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

francesco totti has decent reputationfrancesco totti has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24

AI will have to take less money. If someone offers him stupid money than he is gone, if not he may stay to try to win. He would also have to take a different role.

Rip and AI can't co-exist IMO. They are both stars that play the same position. I like Rip because he is 3 years younger, understands the team concept, and can play D. Rip stays if AI goes and I also think vice-versa, if AI stays than Rip will be traded.

Just to comment on this, AI is not after money but after a ring. He stated publicly, if curry asks him to go to the bench he will go. If what it takes to win a championship is him going to the bench he will go.

Unless pistons dont want him even for low contract, or AI doesnt find the pistons contenders he is staying.

Quote:
AI obviously doesn't fit. Just seeing how much better Denver is without him should be enough for us to realize this guy just isn't a true team player. While he is a great talent he doesn't make players around him better

On him not being a team player, I totally disagree. The nuggets isnt good example. They undergone a lot of changes this year. Balkman, Andersen, Nene, dahntay jones 4 players apart from getting Billups this year. I dont see any arguments of Nene vs Camby, or Andersen being better back up then najera. Its a whole different Nuggets team, 3/5 new line up with billups,Jones and nene.Plus At SG they are playing JR Smith more, which is whole better player then Anthony Carter at PG.

Quote:
This team is going to be at best second round fodder for either Boston or Cleveland. I'd rather face the Cavaliers right now as it would prolong our suffering. Playing the Celtics in the second round, we'll go out like we did in 2002…

The team is a mess right now. Alot of uncertainty right now and just going to have to play through it and hope for the best.

The Pistons had a 6 game loosing streak the year we won the Championship. Rick Carlisle's Pistons had 7 game loosing streaks in both his seasons, and we actually fell under .500 in 2002 (exactly 7 years ago at 19-20). I guess I'm just rambling on here but its gut check time… Time to see who the real fans are and who the bandwagon fans are… It may look rough right now, but its been worse… and I'll be here regardless, supporting this team.

I still have faith in this team, we beat the teams which matters for us Orlando, clevEland, lakers and san antonio(dont think any team outside this 2 have shot at nba title from west). Our minds should only be on boston and atlanta.

Last edited by francesco totti : 01-19-2009 at 01:59 AM.
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
markymark
Local High School Star

markymark has not been impressing people

Honestly, I got a really good feeling bout this. We're very much under the radar, so we're in the perfect position to surprise teams in the playoffs.

I really believe our lineup is capable of schooling Orlando, Cleveland, Atlanta and Boston. To hell with what happened in the first 40 games. I'd rather have it that way then peak too early.

I smell a ship boysss.
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: