Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
starface
Banned

Default Re: Brees wins Offensive Player of the Year award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Why do you continue to make yourself look stupid on football matters, prime? You're better off throwing the keyboard away when a football topic comes up for the most part.

There is a difference between putting up the best numbers and being the most valuable to your team. Think a little before you post. Jesus christ, are you really this ****ing ignorant?

lol

ur so dumb its ridiculous
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
óross√er
I trust me!

Brees was like 18 yards short of breaking the all-time season passing record, this is a no brainer. If Peterson rushed over 2000 yards, then maybe you can say he was robbed. Otherwise I'd take Brees's season over AP's any day of the week.
óross√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #18
starface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by óross√er
Brees was like 18 yards short of breaking the all-time season passing record, this is a no brainer.

yeah but they pass it all day, they're like the eagles. and with how bad their defense is, they just get in shootouts all the time. and for a guy who was only 15 yards short of the single season mark, he really didnt come anywhere close to the single season TD mark, so how much did it really mean?

the offensive player of the year should have been Steve Smith. his team had a great season that was directly attributed to his dominance. that statement applies to him more than any other player this year.

but of course, it wouldnt be "sexy" enough to give it to him. it must go to a quarterback! quarterbacks must get all the credit and attention!

the awards and the AP are a crock.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You really don't understand what the award means, do you starface?

Steve Smith getting the award this year would have been a joke. Receivers who put up 78/1400/6 in 14 games don't win this kind of award. Steve Smith' stats are impressive, but don't measure up to Brees & others.

There is NO WAY you could make an argument for Steve Smith for this award.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
starface
Banned

Quote:
You really don't understand what the award means, do you starface?

Steve Smith getting the award this year would have been a joke. Receivers who put up 78/1400/6 in 14 games don't win this kind of award. Steve Smith' stats are impressive, but don't measure up to Brees & others.

There is NO WAY you could make an argument for Steve Smith for this award.

you just dont get it.

you could replace a lot of guys on the panthers offense and get the same production. dangelo williams is nice but their blocking was great, a lot of runningbacks could have had that kind of season on their team. jake del homme is an average QB. you could put anyone in his spot. BUT steve smith was by far the most irreplaceable player on that team, a team that finished 13-3. without him they would not have won their division, maybe not have made the playoffs. you couldnt just put any receiver in his spot and got the same results. if you watched any of the panthers this year, you could see that.he was a BEAST this year and was hands down the best offensive player.

drew brees just pitched the ball around all year on a team that didnt do anything. a ton of quarterbacks could do what he did in the new orleans offense. not to mention he threw 17 picks on the season. throwing for a ton of yards really is not that impressive. what ben roethlisberger does for his team is WAY more important than brees, despite it not showing up in the stat sheet.

you are just one of these NFL fans who only is capable of repeating the talking points he hears get thrown around on TV. "the quarterback is the most important position" yeah yeah, "you gotta draft a franchise quarterback" yeah yeah, "its all about the quarterback."

just because you are either too lazy or too incompetent to analyze anything else that goes on in the field of play, does not diminish the importance of said goings-on.

your arguments about "the award should go to a quarterback, he's the most important" is akin to barack obama's "we need change in washington." it is a simplistic, meaningless sloganism that is used to engage people who dont have the ability to understand anything complex.

sorry but im not one of those people. i KNOW football. your regurgitated talking-point arguments are useless on me. i'm light years ahead of you and you dont even realize it.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #21
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

starface, what's the last major award you agreed with from any of the major sports?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #22
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Why do you continue to make yourself look stupid on football matters, prime? You're better off throwing the keyboard away when a football topic comes up for the most part.

There is a difference between putting up the best numbers and being the most valuable to your team. Think a little before you post. Jesus christ, are you really this ****ing ignorant?
This time he has a point. The "OP" award does not say, "put up best stats," it's just an award for the best offensive player. I guess that the AP voters that went ofr Manning on one award and Brees on the other gave it to Manning on MVP because of his "intangibles" but to a lot of people that's nonsense.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #23
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's always given to the player who had the most impressive statistical season. How do you not know this? Last year it was Tom Brady, who also won the MVP (and he deserved it), the year before it was Tomlinson, year before that was Alexander.

The list goes on to show that the award was given to the player who had the best stats that season. Now, obviously, the majority of the players who won this award also won the MVP, but this year was a different case just like it was in 2002 and 2003, and 1999.

It it all about stats for this award. History proved that.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
starface, what's the last major award you agreed with from any of the major sports?

I'd like to know too
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #25
32jazz
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Good choice. Brees almost carried the saints to a playoff berth. Brees also payed with his #1 reciver Colston being hurt most of the year. His recivers were Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Robert Macheam. His defense also sucked so there's not much he could do about that. Drew Brees carried the New Orleans Saints, he deserved the award over AD.

Drew Brees is awfully inconsistent & picked up many garbage yards throughout the season. Brees had a QB rating of 60 something on the road this season (especially if you discount the final meaningless road game against the Lions)
Here are some of his road game passer ratings:

Brees threw for 294 yds in the 4th quarter(garbage time) against ATL after his 3 int's had gotten them down 27-6 . And padded his stats with numbers like that against other teams like the Lions after the Saints were eliminated from playoffs.
Absolutely choked in Tampa with another 3 costly int's in a game they needed to stay alive. And he was dreadful in a 3 point loss to the Vikings (2ints & 68 passer rating) which they almost won thanks to Bush's two punt returns for TD's.

The CHARGERS drafted Rivers underneath Brees(who had 5 seasons to prove himself) for a reason. They also let him go after 5 seasons for a reason Rivers has been excellent leading the Chargers to their best 3 year run since 79-82 & had the best passer rating this season.

Adrian Peterson or Steve Smith would have gootten my vote.

Brees had a nice stadpadded seaason which was absolutely worhtless. People need to stop being so infatuated by numbers & stop comparing this guys season to the all time greats whose teams actually did something. The guy has won no more than Aaron Brooks(excluding Katrina season) did in NO with worse defenses than Brees has & their production(W-L) is strikingly similiar.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

Checkmate!

They could have given the award to Steve Smith and starface would be in here arguing against it while saying it should have gone to a kicker but they wont happen due to it not being sexy enough.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Adrian Peterson or Steve Smith would have gootten my vote

Based on what?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
starface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Based on what?

those were the two most dominant offensive football players this season. not statistically like drew brees throwing for a bunch of yards against prevent defenses. but impossible to stop from the get-go no matter how much teams keyed in on them.

GOBB i admire your cajones for sticking your toe into the waters of football discussion. especially after suffering so many "shark attacks" for your laughably moronic attempts at joining in previous conversations. reminds me of when you still try to talk about rap music after getting laughed off the site for weeks when you claimed that sampling was a "hip hop no-no"
Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Any time i reply to you it reminds you of the same thing you always type. Sad to say I'm embedded in your mind no?

Explain in detail the dominance of those two players please. Dont tip toe around it like you have so far in here.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #30
starface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Any time i reply to you it reminds you of the same thing you always type. Sad to say I'm embedded in your mind no?

Explain in detail the dominance of those two players please. Dont tip toe around it like you have so far in here.

by tip-toe you mean offer the longest post/explanation in the thread like i already did?

i dont tip toe, gobb. tip toeing is a message board no-no.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: