Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: i got engaged over christmas: wedding cost questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Weddings generally cost what you can afford..... You can put together a wedding for whatever price you need to...

personally I think the best idea is to go to an all inclusive resort... Me & my wife went to Jamaica(sandals) and if I remember correctly the whole thing cost about 4000.... but it was well worth it... you dont pay for a thing during your whole stay and the place is A+.

The other thing is to invite as many people as you can to your wedding.... I went to jamaica so not many people could fly out there, but we had a big reception when we came back and invited everyone we could think of...

more guests = more money....

invite your friends, invite your friend's friends, your momma's friends if you can..

but first and foremost ..... let her have her way and every thing will be fine
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

$1000 for a DJ is fine. $500 for a cake I think.....can't remember....my wife did most of the planning.

i've been lobbying for a baskin robbins cake. its not so much the money... but its cause that stuff is delicious

gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Weddings generally cost what you can afford..... You can put together a wedding for whatever price you need to...

personally I think the best idea is to go to an all inclusive resort... Me & my wife went to Jamaica(sandals) and if I remember correctly the whole thing cost about 4000.... but it was well worth it... you dont pay for a thing during your whole stay and the place is A+.

The other thing is to invite as many people as you can to your wedding.... I went to jamaica so not many people could fly out there, but we had a big reception when we came back and invited everyone we could think of...

more guests = more money....

invite your friends, invite your friend's friends, your momma's friends if you can..

but first and foremost ..... let her have her way and every thing will be fine

which sandals resort in jamacia did you go to? i have been researching sandals for honeymoons. they all seem pretty nice but any word on what to expect would be appreciated.

it would be too difficult to have a wedding there though cause it is important for her to have her grandparents there, and they are way too old to travel like that.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

first off congrats!!!

shop around, don't commit to anything until you do, talk to friends and friends of friends real do your homework, think out of the box and you can save yourself some money... heres and example, when my wife and i were looking around we were like wtf that much for a cake??? my wife found a local college that had a culinary class and they were overjoyed at the shot of having a couple of their top students do the cake, we talked it over with them, went to a local supply store and bought all the crud that you put a cake together with and the total cost for supplys and cake was like 80 bucks, we gave the kids an extra 100 bucks and they brought it to the resturant and set it up.. 180 out the door, compared to the original 300 to 500 dollars we were being quoted such a deal!
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
first off congrats!!!

shop around, don't commit to anything until you do, talk to friends and friends of friends real do your homework, think out of the box and you can save yourself some money... heres and example, when my wife and i were looking around we were like wtf that much for a cake??? my wife found a local college that had a culinary class and they were overjoyed at the shot of having a couple of their top students do the cake, we talked it over with them, went to a local supply store and bought all the crud that you put a cake together with and the total cost for supplys and cake was like 80 bucks, we gave the kids an extra 100 bucks and they brought it to the resturant and set it up.. 180 out the door, compared to the original 300 to 500 dollars we were being quoted such a deal!

thats actually a really really good idea. we have thought of somethings to save money already. she is a graphic designer and can design wedding invitations and stuff like that, my friend got his degree in photography from UVA so he will be our photographer, and my friend's mom is going to play our processional music cause she basically can play any instrument ever (even weird ones ive never heard of). the cake idea is good though- thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
which sandals resort in jamacia did you go to? i have been researching sandals for honeymoons. they all seem pretty nice but any word on what to expect would be appreciated.

it would be too difficult to have a wedding there though cause it is important for her to have her grandparents there, and they are way too old to travel like that.

go to Negril..... The sh*t is soo awsome there, you have to like rub your eyes every now then to much sure it isnt an illusion... you can see tropical fish swimming in the water from the beach... little exotic crabs..... beautiful sun sets and sunrises....

it blew me away

my grandmom is the reason we seperated the reception from the wedding... we came home and had the kind of reception they wanted, but still got the wedding and honeymoon we wanted
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
go to Negril..... The sh*t is soo awsome there, you have to like rub your eyes every now then to much sure it isnt an illusion... you can see tropical fish swimming in the water from the beach... little exotic crabs..... beautiful sun sets and sunrises....

it blew me away

thanks. that one looked good on the website- its hard to tell the difference between some of them though haha. i've never been to anywhere tropical so i bet ill be blown away regardless. ill let you know where i book it.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I went to the Sandals at Dunns River a few years back. Nice property, but you are definitely in a third world country. My honeymoon was in Paris which of course was my wife's choice. I was not to thrilled about going but ended up having a great time.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How was your experience in Jamaica as far locals, Rasheed?

My mom went there in her 20's and guys from the resort had to bully some locals cause they were stalking my mother and her friends.

When I went with my family a dude gave my dad a "free" gift and then demanded money once my dad took it. So my dad tries giving it back and the guy won't accept it. So my dad ran to the tour bus with the guy chasing him.

I say this because I went to Bahamas a couple afterwards and the people were much more pleasant.

This is moot if you're not going to leave the resort area I guess. I just wouldn't trust those Jamaican locals with my new wife. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #25
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
How was your experience in Jamaica as far locals, Rasheed?

My mom went there in her 20's and guys from the resort had to bully some locals cause they were stalking my mother and her friends.

When I went with my family a dude gave my dad a "free" gift and then demanded money once my dad took it. So my dad tries giving it back and the guy won't accept it. So my dad ran to the tour bus with the guy chasing him.

I say this because I went to Bahamas a couple afterwards and the people were much more pleasant.

This is moot if you're not going to leave the resort area I guess. I just wouldn't trust those Jamaican locals with my new wife. lol

yeah, i heard the same type of things. i don't plan on leaving the resort because of horror stories like that. if its all inclusive, i shouldn't have to anyway.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #26
Jamz Nayschmidt

Hey gotbacon23, post the expected schedule and events for the ceremony!

I've went to a VERY-LAVISHED one quite recently at a Ramada INN, which continued for like 3 days. The groom was Punjabi and the bride was Korean and Their 'rents were both doctorz/engineers . I heard totals ranged from 195-250 grand estimated and had quite a few features.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #27
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz Nayschmidt
Hey gotbacon23, post the expected schedule and events for the ceremony!

I've went to a VERY-LAVISHED one quite recently at a Ramada INN, which continued for like 3 days. The groom was Punjabi and the bride was Korean and Their 'rents were both doctorz/engineers . I heard totals ranged from 195-250 grand estimated and had quite a few features.

195-250k is ridiculous.

as of now, we are getting married september 5th. there is a lot of stuff to figure out still though but thats what its looking like.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
195-250k is ridiculous.

as of now, we are getting married september 5th. there is a lot of stuff to figure out still though but thats what its looking like.

Nice time of year in that part of Va. Hurricane season in the Caribbean though, so get the travel insurance.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #29
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
thats actually a really really good idea. we have thought of somethings to save money already. she is a graphic designer and can design wedding invitations and stuff like that, my friend got his degree in photography from UVA so he will be our photographer, and my friend's mom is going to play our processional music cause she basically can play any instrument ever (even weird ones ive never heard of). the cake idea is good though- thanks.
yeah that kind of stuff... just keep going... and make sure you two have fun while doing it, don't get stressed out...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #30
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I got married on Oct. 17th. It was a small wedding and I'm kind of glad that it was because just the small wedding was stressful. We were planning on getting married on July 11th, 2009, but we pushed up the date for personal reasons.

Goodluck on the wedding, if you're having a big wedding with like 50+ guests or way more, be prepared for tens of thousands of dollars on 1 day.

Although in the end the wedding gifts are great, especially if you get stuff you register for.

P.S. - The cake is at least going to cost $500. Probably over $1000 since you're having over 100 guests. We got ours for free since a family friend did it, which would've cost us around $400. Good luck. You save a lot of money if you and you're wife and maybe her or your parents stupid a lot of the arrangements yourself and decorations and color arrangements.

Last edited by Meticode : 01-08-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: