Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Brujesino
BoGawd
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 14,393
Default A's Sign Giambi

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorec...ticleID=248945

Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Athletics officially announced on Wednesday that they have reached an agreement on a one-year deal with Jason Giambi, bringing the 2000 AL MVP back to the city where he began his career.

Financial terms were not announced, though Oakland did say the deal includes a club option for 2010. The San Francisco Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the deal is worth $4 million, with the option valued at $5.5 million with a $1.25 million buyout.

It will mark a significant pay decrease for Giambi, who signed a seven-year, $120 million deal with the New York Yankees following the 2001 season. That deal had a club option for 2009, which the Yanks decided not to exercise.

Giambi played the first seven years of his career in Oakland, taking home AL MVP honors in 2000 for the A's, as he hit .333 with 43 home runs and 137 runs batted in - both career highs.

However, two years after signing with the Yankees, Giambi found himself embroiled in the BALCO steroid scandal in 2003, as he admitted to using several different steroids during the off-seasons from 2001 to 2003, while injecting himself with human growth hormone during the 2003 season.

Giambi, a five-time All-Star, hit .247 with 19 doubles, 32 home runs and 96 RBI in 145 games with the Yankees this past season. He ranked second on the team in home runs, notching his eighth career 30-homer season.

He is expected to take over the everyday designated hitter duties with Jack Cust moving to the outfield full time and Daric Barton remaining at first.

Giambi is a career .286 hitter with 396 home runs and 1,279 RBI in 1,850 games for the A's and Yankees. He is one of just seven players in league history to have 180 or more homers with two different teams.

To make room for Giambi on the 40-man roster, Oakland designated Joe Dillon for assignment on Wednesday.

Hopefully he can hit atleast 280 25hr 75 plus rbi he would really hepl the A's Offense
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
canadianballer
Banned
 
canadianballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 4,343
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

welcome home
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Getting out of the microscope that is NYC, and the chance to return to the place where he had his prime years will give him a boost. He can get on base and still hit the long ball. Things were just getting stale for him in NYC. All parties involved needed a change.

Oakland has made some nice moves this offseason. That's not a great division. They can posssibly give the Angels a decent race in the AL west.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Getting out of the microscope that is NYC, and the chance to return to the place where he had his prime years will give him a boost. He can get on base and still hit the long ball. Things were just getting stale for him in NYC. All parties involved needed a change.

Oakland has made some nice moves this offseason. That's not a great division. They can posssibly give the Angels a decent race in the AL west.
a new avy?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH
 
crisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Californications
Posts: 12,202
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Now Giambi can grow that pron stash and chops!!!!


WELCOME BACK GIAMBI!!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
a new avy?


For a few days. Got bored. Cavs game isn't exactly compelling.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
Now Giambi can grow that pron stash and chops!!!!

You would be surprised how much something small like that means to people. That's who Giambi is. He's a long, greasy haired guy with a constant 5 o'clock shadow, the sideburns, and a goatee.

He looked like a geek when he first signed with the Yanks. All those bearded guys do when they sign with the Yanks. I wonder what will happen if they ever decide to go after a beared star who refuses to shave for them? There is a precedent for this. Retired slugger Greg Vaughn was traded to the Reds in the late 90s. In those days, the Reds have a strict facial hair policy, but said he felt uncomfortable shaving because he was afraid his children wouldn't recognize him, and he was just used to having the goatee. They ended up buckling, because they wanted him, and ultimately dropped that stupid, asinine policy.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Brujesino
BoGawd
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 14,393
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

so what should the A's starting lineup

1st base Daric Barton
2nd base Ellis
3rd base Eric Chavez Although i hear his back problem is serious and might need a postion change maybe 1st base
SS-Bobby Crosby(might get traded)
Catcher-Kurt Suzuki hes a young guy he has a bright future

OF-Cust,Sweeny,Holliday

DH Jason giambi

so batting order something like this

1.Sweeney
2.Ellis
3.Holliday
4.Cust
5.Giambi
6.Chavez
7.Suzuki
8.Crosby
9.Barton

SP justin duchscherer
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.
 
BrooklynZoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,312
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

contracts are really shrinkin these days. maybe the yanks shoulda waited on cc
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!
 
sulsuvtut27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanford: Home of Champions
Posts: 1,800
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Getting out of the microscope that is NYC, and the chance to return to the place where he had his prime years will give him a boost. He can get on base and still hit the long ball. Things were just getting stale for him in NYC. All parties involved needed a change.

Oakland has made some nice moves this offseason. That's not a great division. They can posssibly give the Angels a decent race in the AL west.

Yea maybe the A's can get within 10 games of the Angels.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
Yea maybe the A's can get within 10 games of the Angels.


Angels need to do something. They lost Tex, K-rod, and they have some aging guys in Vlad, Hunter, and Garrett Anderson. Brian Fuentes will probably do a decent job in that closer role, but this team need another big time RBI machine in that lineup.

However, as long as Mike Scioscia is manager, they will always be at/near the top. He's one of the best--if not the best--in the business.

Back to the A's.......it was bizarre seeing Giambi putting back on the A's jersey, given the way he left town. He trashed the organization, and the city. Billy Beane is a fantastic GM. He knows what he's doing, and almost always has overachieving teams year after year.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
intrinsic
Local High School Star
 
intrinsic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Angels need to do something. They lost Tex, K-rod, and they have some aging guys in Vlad, Hunter, and Garrett Anderson. Brian Fuentes will probably do a decent job in that closer role, but this team need another big time RBI machine in that lineup.

However, as long as Mike Scioscia is manager, they will always be at/near the top. He's one of the best--if not the best--in the business.

Back to the A's.......it was bizarre seeing Giambi putting back on the A's jersey, given the way he left town. He trashed the organization, and the city. Billy Beane is a fantastic GM. He knows what he's doing, and almost always has overachieving teams year after year.

Too right about the Angels. They've lost a lot in Free Agency and should expect diminishing returns from major contributors due to age. The pattern of busted prospects ( McPherson, Wood, Kendrick(injury)) doesn't inspire confidence in Morales.

The A's? Are they planning to play Cust at a corner OF position for 100 games or more this season? It wouldn't be a terrible idea seeing the way the Phils managed Pat the Bat in previous seasons; also, the A's have plenty of options on the roster for late inning defense.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Brujesino
BoGawd
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 14,393
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
Too right about the Angels. They've lost a lot in Free Agency and should expect diminishing returns from major contributors due to age. The pattern of busted prospects ( McPherson, Wood, Kendrick(injury)) doesn't inspire confidence in Morales.

The A's? Are they planning to play Cust at a corner OF position for 100 games or more this season? It wouldn't be a terrible idea seeing the way the Phils managed Pat the Bat in previous seasons; also, the A's have plenty of options on the roster for late inning defense.

yup jack cust is going permanently to the outfeild hopefully he can stop striking out so much

Billy beane says that hes not done trying to add another bat and pitcher so maybe the A's can catch up to the angels
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
tsforthrees
red vines cray
 
tsforthrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,268
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
so what should the A's starting lineup

1st base Daric Barton
2nd base Ellis
3rd base Eric Chavez Although i hear his back problem is serious and might need a postion change maybe 1st base
SS-Bobby Crosby(might get traded)
Catcher-Kurt Suzuki hes a young guy he has a bright future

OF-Cust,Sweeny,Holliday

DH Jason giambi

so batting order something like this

1.Sweeney
2.Ellis
3.Holliday
4.Cust
5.Giambi
6.Chavez
7.Suzuki
8.Crosby
9.Barton

SP justin duchscherer

is holliday going to be playing right field with the a's? i can't imagine cust doing so. holliday is fully capable of becoming an rf, and i think if that move is made he could prove to the league what kind of defensive player he really is.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,624
Default Re: A's Sign Giambi

Thank God he's gone. Oakland can keep him, but I'm glad he's back in a familiar place. Out of all the places to go, Oakland is the best for him.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy