Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

Riker has not been impressing people
Default So it's was not a travel?

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- LeBron James is still talkin' the walk.

James

Two days after he was surprisingly whistled for traveling in the closing seconds of Cleveland's 80-77 loss at Washington, James maintains his "crab dribble" was legal and that he has no plans to remove it from his arsenal.

The Cavaliers superstar was adamant after the game that he didn't walk. He said it was a "bad call" and that "they [the NBA] need to look at it and they need to understand that's not a travel."

King James hasn't changed his stance.

"I've done that move plenty of times and I believe it's a good move," he said after practice on Tuesday. "If they called it more consistently, then I guess it ain't a good move then and I'll change my game. But it's not called consistently."

James was driving for a potential tying basket when referee Bill Spooner called him for the traveling violation. James was stunned and so were many of the Wizards, who have complained in the past that James takes extra steps when he attacks the basket.

Spooner explained his call in an e-mail: "3 steps on the move to the basket. Basic travel call."

An NBA spokesman said the league supports Spooner's call.

The did-he-or-didn't-he-walk debate has raged since the final horn, much to James' amusement.

"Everything I do is a big deal," James said, smiling. "It's easy for people who don't play the game of basketball to say something about a certain move. You hear all the people on SportsCenter talk about it, but they've never touched a basketball in their lives. They just report about it."

James appreciates how difficult it is for officials to make split-second decisions in a game where the players are getting bigger, faster and stronger each year.

"It's definitely tough," he said. "We all make mistakes. I'm not downplaying the refs because they do an unbelievable job. I couldn't do it. It is tough because guys can do a lot of things that they couldn't do back in the 60s and 70s."

James raised some eyebrows when he called his infamous move at Washington a "crab dribble," an unknown term to most league observers.

He described it as a hesitation dribble he uses to slow down the defense before he accelerates toward the rim. James feels he should be entitled to two steps once he stops dribbling.

"If they take it away like they've done before with the hop step, I'll find a way to do something else," he said.

During his first two seasons, James often was called for traveling when he would hop on both feet while taking a layup. The league cracked down on his patented move, forcing him to do other things but hardly interrupting his ascent to stardom.

"How have I fared after that?" he deadpanned. "I'll be fine if they take this away, too."

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: So it's was not a travel?

has he gotten fined for criticizing the officials? if it were any other player outside of lebron or kobe, they'd get slapped in the face with a nice NBA fine.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The "crab dribble" line kills me everytime. I'm actually headed to the city gym to ball at 7. I'm going to blatantly travel and call it a "crab dribble" just for fun.

As for the interview, I think it hurts the NBA's image. LeBron is pretty much saying that he travels all the time and it isn't called, so it's essentially legal.

Many of us hardcore fans have understood this for years... but the average fan doesn't want to hear shyt like this. The last thing the NBA wants is ESPN Sportscenter talking about their rules and referees.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

@ Hito: He didn't get fined.

But the best part is that he STILL believes he's right and openly admits that he does it all the time.

And this is the prime NBA superstar we have today?

And what's up with calling out Sportcentre guys for not playing basketball?

He barely finished high school and probably never read anything except a comic book and I bet he can't get half-way through Mickey Mouse crossword puzzle, he better shut the hell up...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- LeBron James is still talkin' the walk.....

James raised some eyebrows when he called his infamous move at Washington a "crab dribble," an unknown term to most league observers.....
People seriously never heard of a crab dribble? How are you an observer of basketball but never heard of a crab dribble?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Throughout all this, the thing I like the most is that LeBron basically admitted his go to move is a travel. That's high comedy.

stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

I did.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
People seriously never heard of a crab dribble? How are you an observer of basketball but never heard of a crab dribble?
His "crab dribble" is much different than a typical crab dribble. The main difference being his crab dribble takes 3 steps.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

2 diff pics @ the same time, now that's GANGSTER
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I've been playing basketball in the streets and competitively (HS and College) for 15 years and I've never heard of a "crab dribble". I also don't see how what he did could be considered a "crab dribble". He just blatantly took 3 steps on his drive to the rim... it's ok.... it happens.... but a "crab dribble" ?? C'mon.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I know what a cracb dribble is but what I was taught and what he did just are not the same thing...Its not even close to the same dribble unless I didnt see it right(the resolution was bad)

My coach made us do crab dribble in post...had to get low and wide and dribble the ball hard between your legs to probe or set up a move.

I dont see how hi picking up the ball and taking extra steps would have anything to do with the dribble before hand...but since Lebron hit the genetic lottery he knows more about traveling calls then anyone else who hasnt played in the NBA.

Last edited by Younggrease : 01-06-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I did.

BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
@ Hito: He didn't get fined.

But the best part is that he STILL believes he's right and openly admits that he does it all the time.

And this is the prime NBA superstar we have today?

And what's up with calling out Sportcentre guys for not playing basketball?

He barely finished high school and probably never read anything except a comic book and I bet he can't get half-way through Mickey Mouse crossword puzzle, he better shut the hell up...

It's not his fault you're too retarded to understand his point. He's saying that he's done the move over and over again and never been called for it.

It comes down to consistency in calls, which is something every fan has been b*tching about MORE OFTEN for the last 4 years at least.

The only way his "move" is not a travel depends on how the rule is written.. He took 3 steps. I saw that, no denying it. But there is something to be said for the fact that he only took 2 steps AFTER he picked up the ball. The first step was taken while the ball was still coming into his hand, and technically, he could have still dribbled, at which point it isn't a travel.

Still, I doubt that's the case.

In any case, his point was, that it hasn't been called in the past, so why now?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Moneyshot
I brick open layups

Moneyshot has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I did.

All hail the King Crab.
Moneyshot is offline   Reply With Quote