Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Droth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default anyone have tips to not turning the ball over?

I play point guard and against presses i do fine (not many turnovers) but when i am pressured in the half court i often either get stripped or make bad decisions and my passes get picked... anybody have any advice as too how i can become better when being pressured ? thanks
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Jamz Nayschmidt

Default Re: anyone have tips to not turning the ball over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droth24
I play point guard and against presses i do fine (not many turnovers) but when i am pressured in the half court i often either get stripped or make bad decisions and my passes get picked... anybody have any advice as too how i can become better when being pressured ? thanks

Confidence, use your body as a shield against your opponents, don't be too aggressive on the crossovers or hthe finesse dribbles, and generally dribble like a relaxed fellow. Between the legs and behind the back preferrably. Also everytime you dribble do it with the middle part of your fingers and as hard as possible a bit below the waist as to optimize control.

Also crisp, clean chest passes to wide opponents.

All about confidence, though. A nervous beyatch will get stolen from.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
K.Koscik
KobendLebronRBothGood

K.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected poster

Really I don't think there is a fundamental 'trick of the trade'. I believe that the reason you may struggle is because you're not confident enough in your abilities. Go to the gym and work on your game. Your handles, shooting, and strength. If your handles are good enough you'll be able to dribble about without being FORCED to pass. That's the trick, don't let yourself be forced to do anything. Control the tempo of the game, make the passes that you want.

Don't pick up your dribble until you are ready to pass or shoot. A la Steve Nash. Go where you want to go. If you can pass or shoot when you get there, do it. If not, dribble it back out and set up the offense. If no one is getting open, call for a pick and run a simple pick and roll, that's important in man to man pressure when you can't blow by your man (im assuming you can't, thus the thread). Just call for a pick and take it, if the man switches, there should be an open teammate. If it's a zone, penetrate and dish, like Dwyane Wade. I'm using NBA references because its an NBA Forum.

Hope that helps a little bit.
K.Koscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Droth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Koscik
Really I don't think there is a fundamental 'trick of the trade'. I believe that the reason you may struggle is because you're not confident enough in your abilities. Go to the gym and work on your game. Your handles, shooting, and strength. If your handles are good enough you'll be able to dribble about without being FORCED to pass. That's the trick, don't let yourself be forced to do anything. Control the tempo of the game, make the passes that you want.

Don't pick up your dribble until you are ready to pass or shoot. A la Steve Nash. Go where you want to go. If you can pass or shoot when you get there, do it. If not, dribble it back out and set up the offense. If no one is getting open, call for a pick and run a simple pick and roll, that's important in man to man pressure when you can't blow by your man (im assuming you can't, thus the thread). Just call for a pick and take it, if the man switches, there should be an open teammate. If it's a zone, penetrate and dish, like Dwyane Wade. I'm using NBA references because its an NBA Forum.

Hope that helps a little bit.
this helps alot thanks but the thing is i can blow by alot of my defenders but whenever i do it even when i get all the way to the hoop my coach gives me grief and tells me to set up the offense... which really i dont understand.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Where are you playing on the court? In that, I mean where do most of these turnovers occur? Do you find yourself getting trapped by the sideline or in the corner? Are you putting yourself in a position to make predictable or difficult passes?

Ultimately, it comes down to practice, practice, practice. But practice with proper fundamentals and with game situations in mind... practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. Improve your dribbling, you won't turn the ball over as much on steals, at least.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Where are you playing on the court? In that, I mean where do most of these turnovers occur? Do you find yourself getting trapped by the sideline or in the corner? Are you putting yourself in a position to make predictable or difficult passes?

mostly i start the Offense at the top of the right lane line
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
óross√er
I trust me!

óross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected poster

1) Confidence
2) Practice making precise passes, different type of passes for different situations
3) Improve your court awareness by reading the defense prior to them collapsing on you
4) Practice verbal communication with your teammates
5) Being a good dribbler helps you escape those tough situations

Those are some tips I'd recommend, I'm not a basketball player by any means. Play it for recreational purposes. But I think the tips I gave you are pretty straight forward and make sense.
óross√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
this helps a lot thanks but the thing is i can blow by a lot of my defenders but whenever i do it even when i get all the way to the hoop my coach gives me grief and tells me to set up the offense... which really i don't understand.

You might be penetrating too soon or when you do go to the basket you're not capitalizing on the fact that the defense will collapse around you , thereby opening up your teammates. As a point guard, you should always be looking for the open man. Hence, when you are surrounded, someone is wide open. Blow past them, find the open man and pass. Sounds much easier than it is I know.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz Nayschmidt

Also crisp, clean chest passes to wide opponents.

Such a basic fundamental that is so often overlooked at the college and pro levels.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
-primetime-

don't pass the ball to the other team...pass it to your own players
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
AznBBoyX
I hit open layups

AznBBoyX has an OK reputation so far

Keep your dribble low and your body between the ball and defender. Based on what you said about being able to break presses, perhaps you have speed but might need to tighten the handle a little bit. And like the guys before me said, have confidence and don't go for too many aggressive crossover unless you set them up.
AznBBoyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

You remind me alot of myself during my middle school days when i played PG. I had the sickest handles, but i was a turnover waiting to happen, i froze just like you did.

It really is all about confidence you have to teach yourself that your the PG that runs the show so no TO's

Also the coach started to put me at the 2 guard because i turned it over so damn much.

The moral of the story its all about confidence like tomorrow is my first game and i already said on this forum that i was going to dropp 50pts, ppl think im joking i have already said my destiny in that, so my pts is at least going to be 40+ because ive already convince my mind that nobody will be able to stop me no matter what.,.

Its all psyche remember your mind is your most powerful thing, i use it to sense Intelligence.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Keep your alternate hand out, try to make it seem like you are going to drive in alot, and trick around the defender so that they cannot begin to think what you are doing with the ball. I did that today and not a single turnover

Quote:
don't pass the ball to the other team...pass it to your own players

Hmm, I should try to remember that one.

lilojmayo actually has a point there too, keep your head in a good level, ignore the score and just play your heart out.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

I remember one game we played Springfield Haywood.

it was 8th grade.

I go to a pretty much all white school.

This was an all black school i had never really played with black people before. There athletism was in a whole different level than anybody on my team. That game I had like 10pts prolly like 3rebs like 4 assists but i had 11 Tos that game. I was coughing the ball up like no other. We only lost by 2 pts though.
Man i wish i could play those guys again so I can f#ck them up now that i have basketball intelligence, and prolly more athlete than their most athletic person.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: