Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: anyone have tips to not turning the ball over?

So tomorrow's the day lilojmayo drops 50?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
brwnman

Keep dribbling the ball (keep protecting the ball as you do that). Now this could come out the wrong way, but what I mean is don't pick the ball until you have made your mind up. Easier said than done, but it's important you do that. Also it's important that you don't put too much pressure on yourself to create for others. Yes, a PG is suppose to be a creator and the guy who gets everyone involved, but sometimes give it to somebody else to handle the ball and make decisions...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
So tomorrow's the day lilojmayo drops 50?

YESSIR my first Y game is tomorrow at 8:15pm, my first Younglife game is saturday at 10 am

ill have the first video up by friday
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
YESSIR my first Y game is tomorrow at 8:15pm, my first Younglife game is saturday at 10 am

ill have the first video up by friday

f*ckin awesome man. I can't wait.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
You remind me alot of myself during my middle school days when i played PG. I had the sickest handles, but i was a turnover waiting to happen, i froze just like you did.

It really is all about confidence you have to teach yourself that your the PG that runs the show so no TO's

Also the coach started to put me at the 2 guard because i turned it over so damn much.

The moral of the story its all about confidence like tomorrow is my first game and i already said on this forum that i was going to dropp 50pts, ppl think im joking i have already said my destiny in that, so my pts is at least going to be 40+ because ive already convince my mind that nobody will be able to stop me no matter what.,.

Its all psyche remember your mind is your most powerful thing, i use it to sense Intelligence.
yea the other day i was talking to my coach about the team and asked him if i could ever run two, he said know because pretty much nobody else can play point (as good) as i can.. but today we had a voluntary practice with the varsity because we had no school, i was on the team with the two varsity pgs so i played two, i totally ripped the defense apart with my cutting ability and ability to move without the ball and read the defense, i need to be able too read the defense the same way when i am pg.
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droth24
yea the other day i was talking to my coach about the team and asked him if i could ever run two, he said know because pretty much nobody else can play point (as good) as i can.. but today we had a voluntary practice with the varsity because we had no school, i was on the team with the two varsity pgs so i played two, i totally ripped the defense apart with my cutting ability and ability to move without the ball and read the defense, i need to be able too read the defense the same way when i am pg.

Maybe you're a natural 2. If so, playing the point now will only improve your game.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Maybe you're a natural 2. If so, playing the point now will only improve your game.
yea but my jv coach also said i cant run two because my future in the program is as a 1 but he said he might give me a few minutes at two in our next game, so idk i wouldn't mind splitting time at one and two
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #24
K.Koscik
KobendLebronRBothGood

Well in that case, your coach needs to check himself too. If he has a player that can consistently take it and finish, then that player should keep doing it. That forces the other team to adjust to you, making it easier on your team, and making it easier on you. In the meantime, just work on handles and shooting. And be confident. Easier said than done. Good luck.

Edit: I was replying to your reply to my original comment.

Last edited by K.Koscik : 01-08-2009 at 02:33 AM.
K.Koscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #25
Younggrease
Banned

Just get better at ball...Everything will fall into place. Its pretty simple.

Dont ever volunteer to play 2 guard...its easy to play 2 but playing the one is great experience and you get to control the game a lot more.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #26
Junny
I air my balls

Don't panic. This is actually easier said than done, and at first you might even think you don't panic at all, but chances are you do panic when facing pressure situations (everyone does). But if you manage to do it, it'll make a world of difference. By simply just staying calm, you can potentially change a pressure situation into an easy buckets situation.
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Work on your drag dribble (I've also heard it called a pull back, or a back two). It's where you sort of strafe backward dribbling the ball off of your back hand, near your back foot. It's an extemely valuable tool, but a little trickier than it looks. It's easy to put it off your foot, and it's not easy to move backward fast enough to make it work. It also isn't particularly cool looking. However, if you can do it right, you'll create enough space to get behind a trap, or make an overagressive man defender come at you, making it easier to go by him. It's a common practice among young players to not realize that they're allowed to go backwards. Everything is always going forward. Sometimes going back a step will let you go forward three instead of pushing your way to two.
Once you're comfortable beating pressure, you'll crave it. It puts you at an advantage once you're by it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
tsforthrees
red vines cray

be precise. don't dribble if you don't have to. take some time to look the floor over before starting the offense. one of the main problems i see in high school point guards is they get too antsy and start dribbling too soon and all over the place. once you cross half court, maybe pass to the wing then get the ball back and look over the floor. take in what's going on around you and then begin to dribble, it relaxes you and gives you a sense of control over the game
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #29
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

That's a good point too. When I was in HS, we'd run shell defense drills in practice that ended with and outlet pass, and a sprint to the other end of the court. That sprint with the ball usually meant I got in a hurry to push it out, so they started putting a coach under the other hoop who'd hold up fingers, and I wasn't allowed to put it on the floor until I called out how many fingers he was holding up. A lot of guys start going too quick.

Also, you need to identify your TOs. As a soph in HS, my first varsity game I got called for seven travels on jabstep moves that I swear were clean. That's just a plain footwork issue.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

be a scoring threat, so the defender has to respect that.
communicate with your teammates, if they dont work hard enough to get open, just dont give it to them. Dont make passes which the D can intercept, make them work for it.

Be a really good ballhandler so you wont be stripped while dribbling.

be patient and confident!
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: