Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: BREAKING: Riots in Oakland over BART Shooting

What is BART?
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bay Area Rapid Transit, acronym BART.

And again:
Quote:
They smashed a hair salon, a pharmacy and several restaurants. Police in riot gear tried to control the crowd, but some people retreated along 14th Street and bashed cars along the way.
"I feel like the night is going great," said Nia Sykes, 24, of San Francisco, one of the demonstrators. "I feel like Oakland should make some noise. This is how we need to fight back. It's for the murder of a black male."

"I'm asking people to disperse," the mayor said to the couple hundred people in the crowd. "Let's leave in a spirit of peace."

But soon after, a man shouted "that's the modern day lynching" and the mob quickly continued its rampage, smashing at least seven storefronts on 17th street between Franklin and Webster streets. They also smashed eight cars, including four belonging to the City of Oakland.
when he looked out the window and saw people jumping on his Lexus sedan.

Bell, 42, came out to find that almost all of the car's windows, including the front and back had been smashed and it appeared that someone had tried to set the car on fire.

"I'm for the cause," said Bell, who is black. "But I'm against the violence and destruction."

Nearby, Godhuli Bose stood near her smashed Toyota Corolla as a man walked by, repeatedly called her a misogynist slur and then added, "F- your car."

Bose, a high school teacher, said: "I can't afford this."
The core group of the mob appeared to be about 40 people, several of whom were with Revolution Books, a Berkeley bookstore. A man distributed the "Revolution" newspaper - whose tagline is "voice of the Revolutionary Communist Party, U.S.A." - as he shouted "This whole damn system is guilty!"

Soo Jung Sung didn't understand why she was to blame. She wept as she looked at the shattered front windshield of her Nissan Montero.

"Emotionally, I totally understand them," she said of the upset over Grant's shooting. "But it's not nice."

Well done rioters, well done. Really stirred up sympathy for the cause.
Stupid, idiotic rioters. This isn't the 200 BC where people settle things through violence. This is the 21st century. It is ridiculous how these things can get out of hand.

Last edited by brantonli : 01-08-2009 at 10:16 AM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ive always wondered why you would start a riot out of outrage about something, but destroy the things in your own neighborhood. Or destroy private property of people that had absolutely nothing to do with the event.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looten Plunder
Riots are the language of the unheard and powerless.

hmm they don't riot in Arabia, they do something else. wonder when that trend will catch on over here.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
hmm they don't riot in Arabia, they do something else. wonder when that trend will catch on over here.

We arent down to that level of instability just yet.....

people over here are violent and shoot each other, but we dont know sh*t about bombs....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Looten Plunder
Banned

Looten Plunder has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Usually the nonsense self-styled conservatives spout is kind of cute, but other times their inability to be able to distinguish spin from truth, and recognize the gray areas inherent in complex issues can be both perplexing and depressing.
Looten Plunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
sandwiches
I have a pet

sandwiches has an OK reputation so far

I just hope people don't use this tragedy as a reason to loot and steal like the los angelas riots.
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #23
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGuevara
Ive always wondered why you would start a riot out of outrage about something, but destroy the things in your own neighborhood. Or destroy private property of people that had absolutely nothing to do with the event.
agree I was gonna come in and same the same thing.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #24
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Riots are not about being rational. Riots are the result of irrational actions of an entity more powerful than the rioters. The riots are a result of pent-up anger and frustration. They also function as a show of force by the disenfranchised who have no real way of changing their situation. In the West rioters hardly ever get what they want. Those in power pay lip service to their complaints, then promptly ignore the problem that led to the riot.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Riots are not about being rational. Riots are the result of irrational actions of an entity more powerful than the rioters. The riots are a result of pent-up anger and frustration. They also function as a show of force by the disenfranchised who have no real way of changing their situation. In the West rioters hardly ever get what they want. Those in power pay lip service to their complaints, then promptly ignore the problem that led to the riot.

But if I'm tryin to incite a riot, I'm not doin it on my own block. **** is the purpose? Hypothetically, if I was involved here, knew the kid etc etc, I'd start riots outside the police station, or at the least the area where the cop in question was from if I was gonna be irrational. Not in my own hood.

Plus, it's a lot more fun **** to loot and what not in the suburbs as opposed to the slums.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There aren't really good shops around police stations, which make them a bad place to loot and riot. If America had a better infrastructure, getting to the suburbs to riot would be much easier.

Riots tend to be spontaneous. Once guy breaks a window and all hell breaks loose. Before I leave this Earth I want to be in a riot that starts near a Blockbuster, so I can destroy all of their copies of There's Something About Mary. What a shitty movie.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #27
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
There aren't really good shops around police stations, which make them a bad place to loot and riot. If America had a better infrastructure, getting to the suburbs to riot would be much easier.

Riots tend to be spontaneous. Once guy breaks a window and all hell breaks loose. Before I leave this Earth I want to be in a riot that starts near a Blockbuster, so I can destroy all of their copies of There's Something About Mary. What a shitty movie.

I suppose waiting for the DDOT bus to connect at the fairgrounds and then take the Woodward smart bus all the way up to 16 Mile could quell some of your anger. I didn't really think of it that way at first, but waiting over an hour to get to your destination to riot could probably allow time for cooler heads to prevail. Or you could just get even more irate when the bus is late or breaks down.

If there's a riot here, I'm tryin to lead it to the suburbs, so I can loot the Somerset Mall. When you have a Gucci, Louis Vutton, Cartier, and some other expensive ass stores all right there, it's my duty to loot them in the event of a riot.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
But if I'm tryin to incite a riot, I'm not doin it on my own block. **** is the purpose? Hypothetically, if I was involved here, knew the kid etc etc, I'd start riots outside the police station, or at the least the area where the cop in question was from if I was gonna be irrational. Not in my own hood.

Plus, it's a lot more fun **** to loot and what not in the suburbs as opposed to the slums.

the stuff in their neighborhood is not their stuff......

those people dont view the corner store as 'theirs'... there are many really contentious relationships between business owners and people who live in poor neighborhoods....

alot of times, a riot is an excuse for somebody to get back at a store owner or some business owner who certain people may not like....

all the issues Asian store owners and black people have? its a very shaky thing to try run a business in poor neighborhood.... you are looked at like a parasite... mostly pawn shops and liquor type stores more than super markets and or anything positive...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #29
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
If there's a riot here, I'm tryin to lead it to the suburbs, so I can loot the Somerset Mall. When you have a Gucci, Louis Vutton, Cartier, and some other expensive ass stores all right there, it's my duty to loot them in the event of a riot.

Things would seriously get ugly if that ever happened....
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachLakers
white guy acting black.

To be honest, he looks more like he is emulating a Mexican.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: