Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #31
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it morally correct to lie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor K
What are your guys thoughts on this. Is it ever ok to lie? Sometimes, if so then when? Or is it never.

Can anyone make a general statement when its ok to lie and when its not?

lying keeps the peace.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #32
Gifted Mind
Objectivity

Gifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
I would probably lie to not hurt her feelings, and prevent her from getting hurt at the party. My response would be something along the lines of "Sure mom that dress is pretty nice, but I like the one that one you bought a few months ago a lot more."
Well in life there are times when you cannot get around and you have to make a choice.
Gifted Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #33
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Eh, you're avoiding the question, so I'll just jump right to the point. You wouldn't feel good about it because you'd be hurting people. Point blank. It's the difference between throwing a grenade into the Grand Canyon and throwing it into a dining room while Mr. and Mrs. Brown are having Sunday dinner. You're causing pain to people just as someone else could conceivably cause pain to you. You feel guilt, you feel remorse, and you wouldn't do it.

You can slide that thought process down to "lesser" evils, which still do wrong to others. That's how you create a universal barometer, but citing the cause of the guilt in the horrendous act, and applying it to other situations.

Mind you, there's a perfectly logical counter argument that I wouldn't know how to counter (at least, yet), but I don't have time to get into it. Maybe later.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Eh, you're avoiding the question, so I'll just jump right to the point. You wouldn't feel good about it because you'd be hurting people. Point blank. It's the difference between throwing a grenade into the Grand Canyon and throwing it into a dining room while Mr. and Mrs. Brown are having Sunday dinner. You're causing pain to people just as someone else could conceivably cause pain to you. You feel guilt, you feel remorse, and you wouldn't do it.

You can slide that thought process down to "lesser" evils, which still do wrong to others. That's how you create a universal barometer, but citing the cause of the guilt in the horrendous act, and applying it to other situations.

Mind you, there's a perfectly logical counter argument that I wouldn't know how to counter (at least, yet), but I don't have time to get into it. Maybe later.

You find it very easy to come to other people's conclusions. lol

Won't serve you very well as you grow older. Relationships and such (you know, girls).
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #35
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
You find it very easy to come to other people's conclusions. lol

Won't serve you very well as you grow older. Relationships and such (you know, girls).
Well hey, I've been wrong before. If I'm wrong, I have no doubt I'll figure out why in a few years. And then I'll go on a whole new "crusade" and completely alter my life because of it.

Live and learn.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #36
Jamz Nayschmidt

Good exchange above.

In a pragmatic or Utilitarian sense, it is fine if you alleviate the pain of an outcome.. I.E. you're a member of the Underground Railroad and KKK comes to your house asking whether N!gger Jim is around, and you answer No, OR your father has no-tolerance towards drug-users and Marijuana has been key in enhancing your social life and appreciating the finer things, and you claim not to be using it. You save a life to preserve happiness and sacrifice your honesty in the process. More positive than negative. But it depends on perspective.

I'll tell you one obvious thing. It's inevitable that you will lie. Let's just focus on limiting it to better situations I.E. Keyless Entry's latter example.

But by the Categorial Imperative from that Kant deutszchephag, then no. Telling the truth is bread and butter and even if it leads to some sort of punishment, then you are still morally innocent.

My question is if you use a lot of sarcasm, or you simply don't give a phuck about a situation, i.e. your friend (female) asks you if you think she's pretty, but she's shallow as phuck and you don't give a dam or if you're enjoying yourself in college.. then is it aight to lie? Considering you put no merit or thought into la respuesta?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #37
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Rape her.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: