Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Why all the focus on terrorism ?

Everytime I turn on the TV and watch the news this is the main story, especially it seems in the United states where the government is hugely focussed on it, but why ?

Don't get me wrong here, terrorism is obviously a serious problem, it is however rather far down any reasonable list. For example a look at the leading causes of death:

(Stats from WHO world report 2003)

Deaths per year:

HIV/AIDS - 2,777,000
Tuberculosis - 1,566,000
Malaria - 1,272,000
Road traffic accidents - 1,192,000
(http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779147.html)

Those are just a few of the many preventable causes of death, which receive very little attention compared to terrorism, so how many die from terrorism to make it the focus of world politics ?

Total number of deaths to terrorism worldwide from 2000-2006: 24,675
(http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/te...006-fatalities)

Thats less than 25000 people over a 7 year period, or less than 1/50th of the amount of people who die every year from a simple preventable disease like malaria. Also worth noting that nearly half of those are from Iraq, making it rather clear that a war supposedly designed to fight terrorism is doing just the opposite.

So someone explain to me how spending countless houndreds of billions on terrorism, and disregarding laws and human rights entirely in many cases is worth it, when there are so many more worthy problems to worry about ?

The world should be focussing on real problems like the environment, infectious diseases, hunger, poverty etc rather than this relatively minor problem, so ask yourself why it isn't ? The answer is all too simple, cynical politicians in the US decided they could scare the population into doing what they wanted by focussing single-mindedly on this issue. And the scary part is that people are actually dumb enough to let them get away with it.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

the issue of terrorism is important.....

but its real power is in the politics....

the terrorism issue can be used to make some people look bad and make others look soft on security issues..

there are midterms coming up and politicians are psoturing, spinning, and explaining themselves into a position to help their party gain or remain in power.....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
the issue of terrorism is important.....

but its real power is in the politics....

the terrorism issue can be used to make some people look bad and make others look soft on security issues..

there are midterms coming up and politicians are psoturing, spinning, and explaining themselves into a position to help their party gain or remain in power.....

My point exactly, this isn't about anything other than political power, which frankly makes me sick, all the good american politicians could be doing and it's this they choose to focus on, the money spend on iraq alone could have saved millions of lives instead it's just gotten more killed, and what for ?
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Scaring people into keeping the gov't intact is the whole key to the fearmongering going on.

I do however feel that Clinton's biiitch slap of Chris Wallace on FoxNews Sunday is a turning point in this whole thing. I got excited just watching it and I really feel it will embolden people to do the right thing and not just the 'right' thing. That will go down as the turning point, the beginning of the end for the neo-cons.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

I think the Iraq war may go down as biggest mistake in the history of this country.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.

[quote=JtotheIzzo]Scaring people into keeping the gov't intact is the whole key to the fearmongering going on.

IQUOTE]

Exactly, by terrorism blasting over the airwaves 24/7 american people are being duped into trusting our govt when it comes to privacy issues.

One day the govt will live inside our lives daily .
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: