Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
jcrudo
I airball my layups

jcrudo has an OK reputation so far
Default Better off with or without Abdur-Rahim?

Last offseason the nets were close to getting Abdur-Rahim. In the end they decided not to because he may be prone to injury. Instead the nets got marc jackson. Abdur-rahim is a 6'9'' SF. Maybe he could have been a good substitute for RJ or maybe even be a PF in a pinch. Bottom line is: Did the nets make a good decision to pass up abdur-rahim?
jcrudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

loaded question.

no easy answer.

based on his season with the Kings, it showed he has good offense, even with a broken jaw.

however, his defense was suspect, which was why he was a bench player even on the Kings. I mean KENNY THOMAS starts over him. that tells you something.

anyway, Abdur Rahim would be IDEAL For the Nets as a sixth man because he would bring a scoring punch.

however, had the NEts gotten him, he would have been a starter, which would have put Krstic in some trouble, because there was no way COllins sits since Frank likes his defense.

all in all, this was a judgment call as the Nets wanted to avoid paying salary to an injured player like Alonzo Mournign and DIkembe Mutumbo.

i mean you may think crossin teh salary cap is no big deal after what the Knicks have managed to do

but remember, Bruce Ratner's Forest City Development owns most of the shares and because the NEts franchise is losing money, the board of directors does not want to needlessly waste money.

so in hindsight, everything has worked out, but in a perfect world, if Abdur Rahim were 100% healthy and came off the bench for 12/5 then the Nets would be contenders... seriously..
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
jay b
I airball my layups

jay b has an OK reputation so far

I think the Nets should have taken the risk. Abdur-Rahim's age and physical health were not as big a factor as it was in the Mourning and Mutumbo situations. He was worth the risk because good big men is what the Nets needed this season. Kristic wasn't fully developed this season and Collins' offense is non-existence.
jay b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

after Nets found the scar tissue, the Nets offered Rahim the full MLE at 4 years with a team option on the last year. you know? juts in case.

Rahim wanted the full 6 years.

then he went to sacramento for a one year deal. go figure.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
jay b
I airball my layups

jay b has an OK reputation so far

Didn't know that detail. Guess that's Shareef's bad then.
jay b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Shareef would have helped. YOu stick him in the game at PF when you need offense, and Jason Collins in when you need defense.

Alongside Krstic

I'm just talking talent/skills, not financial or contract stuff
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

@VCDrivesAPorscheToWork,
great analysis.

@the topic,
i'm quite happy we didn't get him. instead of sinking that money and commitment into a guy without a complete game, the decision allowed kristic to blossom and clears room for two interesting bigs (boone and illic) who will get more chances to develop than if SAR was here. also the money that would have been commited to SAR will prolly come in extremely handy down the road for the re-signings that will have to be done.

all in all, yeah SAR prolly have made us a better team last year, but we're prolly a better team in the future without him for the reasons mentioned.

also, i doubt his presence would have been enough to get to the finals and win it all against the mavs, so what would have been the point? and last, if your medical expert sends up a warning signal on someone then i think it's foolish to sign him long-term. too many players have destroyed teams' salary caps because the team ignored warning signs.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
@VCDrivesAPorscheToWork,
great analysis.

@the topic,
i'm quite happy we didn't get him. instead of sinking that money and commitment into a guy without a complete game, the decision allowed kristic to blossom and clears room for two interesting bigs (boone and illic) who will get more chances to develop than if SAR was here. also the money that would have been commited to SAR will prolly come in extremely handy down the road for the re-signings that will have to be done.

all in all, yeah SAR prolly have made us a better team last year, but we're prolly a better team in the future without him for the reasons mentioned.

also, i doubt his presence would have been enough to get to the finals and win it all against the mavs, so what would have been the point? and last, if your medical expert sends up a warning signal on someone then i think it's foolish to sign him long-term. too many players have destroyed teams' salary caps because the team ignored warning signs.

the MLE is reneweable every year even if you are over the cap, so MLE cash is not a factor for signing other agents.

(besides you are allowed to sign your own agents to any price you wish even if it goes over the salary cap. how do you think the Knicks got so trashed?)
Old 09-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

understood, and i should have phrased it a different way:

wasn't trying to say so much that SAR would ruin the cap, but that ratner's group is watching every penny and regardless of cap status may choose not to spend on their MLE for several years if they feel the payroll is heavy.

frankly the current max contract situation worries me. RJ is no doubt worth every penny, but who knows how long kidd will be good for? and it would be nice to keep carter around but then where's the money going to come from to pay kristic when his contract comes up? not to mention wright if he continues to improve and who knows who else?

so i don't see how the front office can pay three max contracts and still keep the team together in the next few years. i guess the short answer is, carter has to go under this ownership group. (god, i wish dolan would extend his charity across the river)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

the only reason shareef is not starting on the Kings os because of that little crybaby Kenny Thomas, who says he HAS to start and plays horribly off the bench. but I think something will happen with Kenny, maybe a trade, i hope
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

better with... but as a reserve cuz theres no one else to rebound except Collins... Kidd maybe, but i'm talking height rebound here...
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: