Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Caron Butler to the Raps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
How will it give the Wizards cap wiggle room again? WITHOUT Butler they will be over the cap next year. Not including Hump's $3mil.

They have Jamison locked in to a big deal, a mega deal for Arenas. This team is delusional and doesn't think they are rebuilding so trading their best player for scraps that won't even do anything for them next year but make them worse.

Yes but if they're over the luxury tax/cap it will help them. Parker Expiring this year and hump next year and Caron a few years past the 10 season if I'm not mistaken I could be wrong though.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only way the Raptors have a chance at Butler is something like:

Bargnani + unprotected 1st rounder + Parker

or

Calderon + unprotected 1st rounder + Parker
for
Butler and Songaila

Washington rejects both trades probably because Butler is by far the best player in the deal. They have absolutely no reason to deal Butler unless they are blown away by an offer. I hardly think the Raptors have anything to do that with outside of Bosh.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
According to ESPN last night, on the broadcast they said something about a certain trade which was Caron Butler for Anthony Parker and Kris Humphries. My cousin messaged me about it when it came on....Any thoughts?

Christmas was a couple of weeks ago. But, will Santa Claus give the Raptors an early present this year?!

Oh please, please make this happen!!!

The Raptors need that Pau Gasol to the Lakers type of deal.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Colangelo hasn't proven himself at the Raptors yet, but if he could manage the trick of bringing in a star wing without giving up Bosh, Calderon, Bargnani or O'Neal, everyone should be on his bandwagon. That would be a miracle. Imagine having Bargnani/Bosh/Butler/----/Calderon and still having O'Neal to trade (or swap O'Neal and Bargnani in the centre/trade bait positions).

Sadly that is unlikely in the extreme, so hopefully he can get that trade done with Bargnani or (ideally) O'Neal.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Big Rook
I airball my layups

Big Rook has an OK reputation so far

Like I said before:

CARON BUTLER, JUST WHAT TRIANO ORDERED
Big Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What's with these threads lately... How in the hell are we gonna get Caron Butler for AP and Humphries? First of all the contracts don't match. Second of all, that deal might as well be Kwame for Gasol.. one of those deals that you would usually only see in NBA Live with trade override.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Washington would never do this trade, it's too good to be true. Throw in Moon and 1st then maybe. But even then, I would still pull the trigger.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...7~28&te=&cash=

For Moon, Parker, Humphries and 2 Unprotected 1st Round picks? Would Washington do it? Or are we giving up too much in picks?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
For Moon, Parker, Humphries and 2 Unprotected 1st Round picks? Would Washington do it? Or are we giving up too much in picks?

You're kidding right? Quantity isn't better than quality.

Caron Butler is more valuable than anyone on the Raptors not named Chris Bosh. Any deal for him starts with either Bargnani or Calderon + an unprotected 09 1st rounder and even then the Raptors have to sweeten the deal to just get Washington on the phone.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I don't think it's too much. The only way that I wouldn't pull the trigger on such a deal is if there was a prospect at the wing that we'd get (around pick 15-20) that would be better than Caron in the next 2-3 years which I highly doubt.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Caron Butler is more valuable than anyone on the Raptors not named Chris Bosh. Any deal for him starts with either Bargnani or Calderon + an unprotected 09 1st rounder and even then the Raptors have to sweeten the deal to just get Washington on the phone.

I've seen much worse trades than that. But getting 2 unprotected 1st round picks is an extremely valuable commodity. Especially if the Raptors remain in the 10-20 range. Washington seems to be extremely desperate right now knowing that Eddie Jordan is gone, Arenas will never be the same and Antawn is getting older. A shakeup is needed for sure. I'm not sure about them trading Caron but getting a young hustle PF in Humphries, a solid backup SF in Moon, and a quality veteran leader in Anthony Parker + 2 1st round picks would definitely get them to AT LEAST pick up their phone.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #26
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
I've seen much worse trades than that. But getting 2 unprotected 1st round picks is an extremely valuable commodity. Especially if the Raptors remain in the 10-20 range. Washington seems to be extremely desperate right now knowing that Eddie Jordan is gone, Arenas will never be the same and Antawn is getting older. A shakeup is needed for sure. I'm not sure about them trading Caron but getting a young hustle PF in Humphries, a solid backup SF in Moon, and a quality veteran leader in Anthony Parker + 2 1st round picks would definitely get them to AT LEAST pick up their phone.

Those 1st round picks lose a ton of value once you add Butler to a team of Bosh, Calderon, O'Neal, Bargnani and whoever is left. The Raptors make the playoffs and Washington is getting a pick in the high teens or low 20's.

If the Raptors had to trade Bosh, would you accept that package in return but let's say instead of Moon, it's Calderon in there (since Bosh is better than Butler)? I doubt it. So why would another team rebuild by trading its best player for backups and low 1st round picks?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #27
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Those 1st round picks lose a ton of value once you add Butler to a team of Bosh, Calderon, O'Neal, Bargnani and whoever is left. The Raptors make the playoffs and Washington is getting a pick in the high teens or low 20's.

If the Raptors had to trade Bosh, would you accept that package in return but let's say instead of Moon, it's Calderon in there (since Bosh is better than Butler)? I doubt it. So why would another team rebuild by trading its best player for backups and low 1st round picks?

We traded Carter for Aaron & Eric Williams, Alonzo Mourning (That Never Playerd For Us) and picks. **** happens. Picks are valuable.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #28
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
We traded Carter for Aaron & Eric Williams, Alonzo Mourning (That Never Playerd For Us) and picks. **** happens. Picks are valuable.
Yeah just that trade almost killed our franchise, that was brutal. Guess anything really is possible when you add the Gasol trade to that one. What were those G.M's thinking!
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
gecko044
I airball my layups

gecko044 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

That speaks volumes for Bargnani's value (or Calderon's). good thing he's finally getting some respect.
gecko044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #30
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Don't hate. This was on in a Washington game the other night on ESPN. I am pretty sure that wasn't the straight up trade but it was the base.....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: