Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
LALakerFan4Life
16 Time NBA Champions!

Default OT: Smokers May Have Higher Risk Of HIV

Smoking, already linked to several illnesses, may also increase the risk of infection with
HIV, the virus that causes
AIDS, researchers said on Thursday.

In a review of studies that looked at the association between smoking and HIV, British doctors said five of the six studies they analysed showed smokers had a higher chance of becoming infected.

Nine of 10 other studies in the review that tracked the progression from HIV to AIDS found no link with smoking.

"The studies identified in this systematic review indicate that while smoking might be independently associated with acquiring HIV infection, it does not appear to be related to progression to AIDS," said Dr Andrew Furber, of the South East Sheffield Primary Care Trust.

Furber and his colleagues, who reported the findings in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, said tobacco smoke may increase susceptibility to HIV infection by modifying a variety of immune system responses.

Research has shown that smoking is a leading cause of preventable death. It increases the risk of heart attack and stroke, respiratory problems, lung and other types of cancer.

The researchers suggest in the study that public health measures that encourage smokers to quit could also improve the effectiveness of HIV/AIDS prevention programmes.

About 40 million people worldwide are living with HIV/AIDS. Nearly 5 million were newly infected in 2005 and more than 3 million adults and children died of AIDS in the same year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060921/...ids_smoking_dc
LALakerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
said tobacco smoke may increase susceptibility to HIV infection by modifying a variety of immune system responses.

Isn't this sort of an obvious thing?? Smoking harms your health, and if it harms your immune system won't you be more succeptible to all diseases and viruses??
It still hinges on you actually getting the HIV virus in some other way and by then you are screwed whether you smoked or not.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 09-21-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
indenial
Banned

I thought homosexuals would be a higher risk?
indenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
SRZ66
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by indenial
I thought homosexuals would be a higher risk?
oooh snap!
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Just because two things may be correlated, doesn't mean there's a cause and effect relationship. It could be, that people who smoke, are more likely to do intrevenous drugs, which hence makes them more likely to contract HIV.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re:

causation can only be proved when all circumstances fit.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Just because two things may be correlated, doesn't mean there's a cause and effect relationship. It could be, that people who smoke, are more likely to do intrevenous drugs, which hence makes them more likely to contract HIV.

The topic says: "OT: Smokers May Have Higher Risk Of HIV "...Nobody is claiming there is any cause and effect here. Now take your grade 12 statistics and go make some money to sign up for more insider articles.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Smoking, already linked to several illnesses, may also increase the risk of infection with
HIV
, the virus that causes
AIDS, researchers said on Thursday.

In a review of studies that looked at the association between smoking and HIV, British doctors said five of the six studies they analysed showed smokers had a higher chance of becoming infected.

Somebody forgot the retarded part in your sig you dip****. Why don't you see if going and ****ing yourself increases the risk of infection of HIV.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Jerm

I see you're getting pissed off, cash is running low for those Insider articles eh?...Don't worry, GOBB can easily set up a charity fund for you.

Quote:
HIV

All I see is that it increases the risk of infection but does not cause it. Once again, where did you draw your causation conclusion from?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Thank goodness only drug I take is heroin. Smoking is too risky!!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Thank goodness only drug I take is heroin. Smoking is too risky!!

Yes man, stick to heroine atleast you won't be thrown out of a bar for shooting up unlike smokers.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Heilige
An Icon Forever

I don't really understand the massive propaganda against smoking and smokers. I myself am not a smoker, but I honestly have been hit by about 30 times more anti-smoking commercials and advertisements than ones promoting smoking. I can't understand how anyone can get angry at smoking campaigns that use propaganda techniques to lure in their customers when the anti-smoking campaigns use ridiculously excessive propaganda in everything they do.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
joewait
National High School Star

in the developed world, the only 2 ways to get HIV are via intravenous drug usage and through anall sex. No one has ever gotten it from a needle poke (urban legend) and it may amaze you, but if you have unprotected vagional sex with someone who actively has HIV/AIDS, your chances of getting HIV is about .004%
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
in the developed world, the only 2 ways to get HIV are via intravenous drug usage and through anall sex. No one has ever gotten it from a needle poke (urban legend) and it may amaze you, but if you have unprotected vagional sex with someone who actively has HIV/AIDS, your chances of getting HIV is about .004%

Dude, there are kids here so I advice you to stop spreading lies here. There are more women that men with HIV and I'm positive most of them got it through ******l sex/
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
it may amaze you, but if you have unprotected vagional sex with someone who actively has HIV/AIDS, your chances of getting HIV is about .004%
I want a link. when a biased white neocon says something like this, I have to demand a credible source. you have to understand. .004% is unbelievably low. it isn't just low. it's basically 0.

what if a man has AIDS and goes raw with a woman? are the chances higher then? are you talking about a girl with AIDS and a clean guy? cause that makes more sense. but still sounds off.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: