Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation
Default Nash's Number Retired at Santa Clara

Nash's Number Retired at Santa Clara
Sep. 19, 2006

Quote:
A two-time NBA MVP and four-time all-star, Suns point guard Steve Nash received perhaps his most sentimental honor just this Monday, after returning to the college he called home for four years. Nash watched as Santa Clara raised the number 11 he wore with the Broncos to the rafters, making him the first alum to receive such an honor by the university.
"This is obviously very exciting for me," Nash told the The Mercury News. "I don't get a chance to come back to school often, so for me to be here is just great, and coupled with the huge honor it is to be able to be acknowledged for my career, is amazing and very humbling."

In 1992, Nash made an immediate impact with the Santa Clara Broncos as a freshman when he helped the Broncos earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament and an eventual upset of fifth-ranked Arizona in the first round. The tournament berth the first of three Nash would experience in his collegiate career, a career which he would exit as the school's third all-time leading scorer and its all-time assist leader.

The point guard has stayed close with his alma mater since being drafted by the Phoenix Suns in 1996. In 1999, Nash donated $100,000 to the Bronco Bench Foundation establishing the Jim Jennings Basketball Endowment - named after Santa Clara’s longtime, 90-year-old basketball administrative assistant.

"I couldn't have gone to a more perfect University for me, and I think that in many ways everyone can find that in Santa Clara," Nash said in his address. "I owe so much to my experience here. All of you guys really need to take advantage of this and make the most of your opportunity here. I urge you to really get involved, to be balanced, to do well in school, and make as many friends as possible."
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: