Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
beau_boy04
Local High School Star

Default Any "franchise player" in this 09 Draft?

More than likely not but these are the top 3 that could "potentially become franchise type player.

PF Blake Griffin
Comparison: Boozer, Amare, Kemp
17 games
22.4 ppg
13.8 rpg
1.5 bpg
1.5 spg
2.5 apg
64%FG

SG James Harden
Comparison: Brandon Roy, Manu Ginobili
16 games
23.1 ppg
5.8 rpg
4.7 apg
2.1 spg
55% FG
41% 3pt
75% FT

PF Jordan Hill
Comparison: Chris Bosh
15 games
17.8 ppg
12 rpg
2.3 bpg
1.4 apg
62% FG
68% FT

Or maybe neither of them will be franchise players. The wild card here is Greg Monroe, which is compared to Chris Webber, Tim Duncan, etc etc

So do you think there are any future franchise player in this year draft?
beau_boy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: Any "franchise player" in this 09 Draft?

Griffin could be an all star type guy but i dont think hes gonna be a bonafide, im gonna give this guy a max 7 yr deal type a guy. I think the one player that if really grasps his potential is Earl Clark. Im going to go out on a limb and say he could be a poorermans Lebron James, which would still make him a franchise player. If I'm a GM in the NBA there is one guy I want anchoring my D and thats Thabeet. Dude will always be a defensive presence but franchise players are usually scorers. I havent seen much of Aminu.
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Millennium X
Decent playground baller

Too early to tell. We only find out after their first few seasons in the league.
Millennium X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

i dont think jordan hill belongs in this conversation at all- im not sure he is a starter in the nba- for sure dont count on him to be a franchise player

earl clark to me fits in the same catagory- neither hill or clark are the "franchise player" of their college teams- they are in the look like tarzan play like jane group- besides looking like the perfect specimin what does clark do? besides athletisism & size what is clark good or great at? somebody please fill me in, it seems im the only one who cant see something

along w griffen the players i think could be franchise players is maybe just the gaurds- holliday, jennings, rubio
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Griffin could be but he is going to go to Oklahoma City where Durant is obviously the franchise player.
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
steve

Looking over the top few picks or so and watching a good amount of all them (with the exception of James Harden), I would say no. None of these guys seem to be players that a team would legitimately consider contending with them as the best player on the team (that even includes Rubio if he decides to come out this year). That being said though, there are a number of players in this draft who have the potential to be great players on their given teams and pretty valuable pieces, because there are a number of guys who do very specific things excellently and a lot of things well. It's going to be a better draft down the road than people think but it might get overlooked because there's not stand out world beater of some other drafts.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

harden is gonna be a great scorer ..but no a franchise player
griffin needs a PG so he will probably share a franchise role with that pg
hill i havent seen him play yet so i cnat judge
greg monroe after 3-4 years in college i think can become a future all star ..but not franchise
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
beau_boy04
Local High School Star

if Blake Griffin gets drafted by The Bulls and play alongside Derrick Rose, it's gonna be the best thing it could happened to Blake Griffin.
beau_boy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_boy04
if Blake Griffin gets drafted by The Bulls and play alongside Derrick Rose, it's gonna be the best thing it could happened to Blake Griffin.
Um how is this even possible?
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
i dont think jordan hill belongs in this conversation at all- im not sure he is a starter in the nba- for sure dont count on him to be a franchise player
What he said.

Jordan Hill has some of the worst footwork I've seen in the post. I see him at best being a Theo Ratliff type of player if he does become a starter. Not in the same league as far as shot blocking though.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Nickel06
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
What he said.

Jordan Hill has some of the worst footwork I've seen in the post. I see him at best being a Theo Ratliff type of player if he does become a starter. Not in the same league as far as shot blocking though.

Dude, have you seen his NBA comparison?? It's Chris FRICKIN Bosh!!! Yea, I know that's probably not gonna happen, but who cares. If he turns out to half as good as Bosh, he'll be good. Trust me!!
Nickel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel06
Dude, have you seen his NBA comparison?? It's Chris FRICKIN Bosh!!! Yea, I know that's probably not gonna happen, but who cares. If he turns out to half as good as Bosh, he'll be good. Trust me!!
That comparison is by nbadraft.net.

They also compared Acie Law to Chauncey Billups and Adam Morrison to Larry ****ing Bird.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
tbp82
Can barely lace up my sneakers

It really depends on what your idea of "franchise player" is. I personally think that tag is sometimes used very loosely (Yao Ming) and sometimes used for the player the media hypes the most (Chris Paul). Let me explain while Yao Ming is the best player on the Rockets he has yet to prove he can lead a team anywhere in the playoffs and that is to me what makes a franchise player. The other spectrum is Chris Paul who the media pumps up as the Hornets franchise player but in reality the Hornets in the playoffs against the Spurs were feeding David West like he was Shaq, basically The Hornets will go only as far as David West's scoring will take them.
tbp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

That's GREAT!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Gonzaga fan and loved Morrison in college, but I just about crapped when he went 3rd overall. I still think he's got a chance of being a decent role player, 7th or 8th man, but you're right........he's no Larry Bird!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
That comparison is by nbadraft.net.

They also compared Acie Law to Chauncey Billups and Adam Morrison to Larry ****ing Bird.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Here's a player comparison from draft express . com:

Considering what he’s showing so far, it might be time to start considering Hill as a legitimate lottery prospect, or even more. He has most-everything you look for in an NBA power forward athletically, and still has plenty of potential to improve on his already decent skill-level—far more than your typical junior. We’ve heard comparisons to Chris Wilcox, and some NBA scouts we spoke with already have him pegged as high as the mid-lottery. We’ll have to see if he can keep it up as Arizona enters the Pac-10 portion of their schedule, but the early returns look very promising.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: