Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #31
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Nintendo is killing gaming in front of our eyes

I guess my definition of "hardcore gamer" is quite broad.

I'd set the bar like this: If you post on a videogame board, if you know about games before you enter a store, then you definitely qualify as a hardcore gamer. But that not necessarily means you are playing 10+ hours every week.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #32
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
Huh?

So, everyone with a 360/ps3 preference is a media tool? That's absurd. The reason my Wii sits on the shelf collecting dust isn't bc i lack common sense. I didn't think mario kart wii was the greatest racer ever made, twilight princess was a chore to finish, and ssbb didn't renew my interest in fighting games. (all 3 of these games have great reviews from ign, metacritic 1up, etc...)

Metroid Prime Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Tiger Woods, and House of the Dead(2 & 3) are really the only times I enjoy playing the wii. House of the Dead doesn't have "stunning" jaw-dropping graphics, but its a fun game.

I think you're underestimating the ps3 and 360 network. They offer greater statistical tracking which enhances the competition amongst friends (chasing one another's score) which adds depth to the overall gameplay.

As far as the OP, questhelper didn't slow down WoW.

Learn to read, I said the people who believe those 2 systems are the ONLY ones and that the best games are only found on those 2 systems are media tools. You can throw Wii into that equation if you'd like as well.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Learn to read, I said the people who believe those 2 systems are the ONLY ones and that the best games are only found on those 2 systems are media tools. You can throw Wii into that equation if you'd like as well.

Actually, I read both your post and the one which you quoted.

It read this way: you were patting DeuceWallace on the back for having the common sense to play mariokart for 10 hours while slamming the xbox and ps3 fanboys in your next paragraph.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #34
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

i definitely think the next wave of consoles will all feature updated interfacing instead of just following the better graphics with the exact same controller model.

improved interfacing used to be a staple in new consoles, whether it was shoulder buttons, analog sticks, d-pads, triggers, or even just having 2 more buttons on the front of the pad. this business of using the exact same controller as the past gen is simply not good enough.

i don't think we'll see a shortage of hardcore games though, because like the wii, they sell. games like halo and gta sell really well. there's profit here too and there's a specific market that sony and microsoft know will always be there despite the new casual gaming trend.

as far as games being easier, i think that's been a trend across all platforms. games used to be much tougher to get through than they are now. even with changing the difficulty settings games are just plain easier now than they were.

i mean you get infinite lives and checkpoints in most games. you have health that regenerates itself over time if you just hide in a corner. (gears of war i'm looking at you).

this should be a big year for "hardcore" gamers that own wiis though. with the release of:

The Conduit (extremely polished FPS from sega, feat. wii speak, new slick graphics engine)
MadWorld (running man plot, ultra violent, sin city - stylized)
Fatal Frame 4 (survival horror)
Sin and Punishment 2 (3rd person shooter, original was japan only release on n64)

I'm more amped on these titles than anything announced for my 360 and every one of these titles probably would have been huge on the 360 or ps3.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
i definitely think the next wave of consoles will all feature updated interfacing instead of just following the better graphics with the exact same controller model.

What are you basing that on? The success of the Wii?

I can't imagine why they would change the controllers for the PS3 and XBox, because the current configuration seems to work best. They both have the same setup, albeit XBox has a bigger controller for a reason. Because it works. Adding any more buttons would most likely just clutter the setup.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #36
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
What are you basing that on? The success of the Wii?

I can't imagine why they would change the controllers for the PS3 and XBox, because the current configuration seems to work best. They both have the same setup, albeit XBox has a bigger controller for a reason. Because it works. Adding any more buttons would most likely just clutter the setup.

Mathius

yeah, a lot of that is based on the success of the wii. and i just can't see console developers going 3 generations deep with an almost identical controller.

and i agree with you that it does work the way it is now. there's always 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' but to stay competitive in as growing and innovative an industry as this is, you've got to adapt and improve to stay ahead of the curve.

i mean HD graphics are here. it was a huge step. the physics are great now too. however any graphical updates from here on out will be somewhat marginal imo compared to the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit, or 16 bit to 64 bit, or SDTV to HDTV. i guess they can really maximize the 1080p output and make characters look less plasticy and develop more advanced graphics and physics engines, but i don't think that's going to be enough this go around.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #37
TakitoEspanoza
National High School Star

TakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat coolTakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat coolTakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat cool

Nintendos Marketing Phrase should be..

Come join us, Wii are a generation behind.
TakitoEspanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #38
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
yeah, a lot of that is based on the success of the wii. and i just can't see console developers going 3 generations deep with an almost identical controller.

and i agree with you that it does work the way it is now. there's always 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' but to stay competitive in as growing and innovative an industry as this is, you've got to adapt and improve to stay ahead of the curve

Like I said, what's to improve? Unless they completely redesign the controller just for the sake of change itself, which is stupid, IMHO, I can't really see another place to put a button that wouldn't be uncomfortable to reach.

I thought the N64 controller had a nice ergonomic design, but from what I remember, you couldn't reach the gamepad at all hardly and still use the Z Trigger, so what was the point?

Basically what I'm asking you, is just what can they improve upon? I don't see anything, unless they opt to go with that hand waving sh*t, and then they're not PS/XBox anymore, they're just copying the Wii.

Mathius
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #39
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Some people give hardcore gamers a bad rep.

If you want games to get better, you have to be open to new ideas. Otherwise something really crazy could happen...... like everyone playing the same type of games for long periods, like 15 years at a time. Imagine going to a video game store, and 80% of the games are first person shooters. Wow, thats original.

..aw crap. I just got back from a video game store, and 80% of the games are first person shooters!
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #40
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Some people give hardcore gamers a bad rep.

If you want games to get better, you have to be open to new ideas. Otherwise something really crazy could happen...... like everyone playing the same type of games for long periods, like 15 years at a time. Imagine going to a video game store, and 80% of the games are first person shooters. Wow, thats original.

..aw crap. I just got back from a video game store, and 80% of the games are first person shooters!

LOL 80% of the games are FPS… actually if its not an FPS, its a 3PS (3rd Person Shooter).

In the end, its a business. I learned to accept that back in the 90s when the Saturn failed. It was at that point I had to expand my horizons, literally, to sift through the mainstream titles to find the niche stuff that I enjoy.

So in the end, there are and will always be big market Triple A titles that cater to the largest denominator, but niche games and genres are still and will always be out there, just not in abundance like in bygone eras. Also, in regard to non big box games, the quality will be improved since it is niche software catering to a niche crowd and therefore needs to be a good title.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #41
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Like I said, what's to improve? Unless they completely redesign the controller just for the sake of change itself, which is stupid, IMHO, I can't really see another place to put a button that wouldn't be uncomfortable to reach.

I thought the N64 controller had a nice ergonomic design, but from what I remember, you couldn't reach the gamepad at all hardly and still use the Z Trigger, so what was the point?

Basically what I'm asking you, is just what can they improve upon? I don't see anything, unless they opt to go with that hand waving sh*t, and then they're not PS/XBox anymore, they're just copying the Wii.

Mathius

tbh, i really don't know. the wiimote came out of left field and i'm convinced sony and microsoft are scouring the technology world for an even more intuitive means to control games. i agree that motion sensing is probably not on their list of priorities.

IR pointing / mouse-like control is one thing i'd like to see on other consoles. mouse-like precision offers more control than an analog stick can (higher dpi - faster - more responsive..). i don't think they'll utilize mice, or wiimote pointing, but some combination of the two could refresh things a bit.

i know you're not a fan of the wii, but the pointing is huge for so many game genres. like you, i dislike most hand waving. zelda, for example, was nearly unplayable because of this. i still enjoy tennis on wii sports once a year or so, but right now until motionplus is released, the best part of the wiimote is the pointing and i hope other manufacturers take into account how much this offers. you're taking what makes pc gaming so precise in the mouse, and making it possible to play on a couch without a desk.

i just think the nintendo 64 level interfacing currently in place will not continue to somehow stand the test of time while every other aspect of gaming passes it by.

Last edited by SayTownRy : 01-20-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #42
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sony already tried to copy Nintendo a bit with the tilt control in their Sixaxis for the PS3
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
Mathius

Quote:
IR pointing / mouse-like control is one thing i'd like to see on other consoles. mouse-like precision offers more control than an analog stick can (higher dpi - faster - more responsive..). i don't think they'll utilize mice, or wiimote pointing, but some combination of the two could refresh things a bit.

i know you're not a fan of the wii, but the pointing is huge for so many game genres. like you, i dislike most hand waving. zelda, for example, was nearly unplayable because of this. i still enjoy tennis on wii sports once a year or so, but right now until motionplus is released, the best part of the wiimote is the pointing and i hope other manufacturers take into account how much this offers. you're taking what makes pc gaming so precise in the mouse, and making it possible to play on a couch without a desk.

See, and I completely disagree with you. All the games I enjoy playing, sports games, first person shooters, survival horror, puzzle games like the original Resident Evils, Role playing games, actions games, would all be horrible with IR.

The only redeemable IR that I have any interest in is the old light gun games, but they've never done much of anything with that. I'd actually probably enjoy House of the Dead on the Wii, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy a $250 system just to play light gun based games, so I'll do without.

Mathius
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #44
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Sony already tried to copy Nintendo a bit with the tilt control in their Sixaxis for the PS3

Kinda hard not to look like they're copying the technology, since it's pretty much been around since the early 90's? Sony wasn't even developing Playstation 1 back then. Powerglove ring a bell?

And here I thought you were a real nintendo fanboy? Tsk tsk.

Mathius
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #45
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm

Oh man and did Sony fail. I remember most of the early PS3 games "incorporated" this sixaxis technology, claiming "control like never before". God it was awful to even think of using sixaxis.

Sony didn't do much thinking there, the reason why Wii sports is so fun to play is because you mimic doing the sport with the stick.

You can't mimic flying a dragon by tilting your controller dammit.

Considering how much profit Nintendo is making per Wii sold, I'm thinking maybe this motion sensor technology is not that expensive. Why not Sony and MS incorporate that technology to the 360 in PS3? Then my wife won't have to bug me to buy her a Wii.

Imagine playing Gran Turismo with a Wii Wheel.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: