Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Rudy Fernandez and the Dunk Contest

So there is a discussion in the NBA Forum about Rudy getting in over Westbrook and Alexander, but this is more of a focus on Rudy representing the Blazers and what he could do in the contest.

I didn't think Rudy should be in, but I am super excited about the idea having a Blazer in the dunk contest. Who was the last? Was it Drexler? Anyway, I'm still super excited.

My thought for a dunk idea is that since I don't believe Rudy can wow on leaping ability alone, he has to get creative and do something never done before (in the dunk contest that is) rather than just perfecting things that have been done before. I would love to see Rudy get Dwight involved where they wear their respective country's national team jersey. Rudy tells Dwight to stand in the circle under the basket and try to block him without fouling him. If Dwight blocks it, good for him, Rudy gave it his best. But if Rudy dunks on him, it will be the first time in an NBA dunk contest that a guy gets posterized.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
AznTacoLover
College superstar

Default Re: Rudy Fernandez and the Dunk Contest

ohhh Dwight blocks the dunk,or getting poterized? that sounds good. :P
how about an alley-opp 360 dunk?
AznTacoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznTacoLover
how about an alley-opp 360 dunk?

I'd say 75% chance he goes for one of those.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
AznTacoLover
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'd say 75% chance he goes for one of those.

Ohh I see then.
hm..Did you find any way to contact any him? about your idea?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Myth

Nope, just a prediction.

I see Rudy as fairly limited in hops.
I do however think that Rudy has excellent body control.
Although, I don't think Rudy's hands are big enough to have control of the ball while doing something fancy in air with his body (assuming he ever goes for a one handed dunk).
Therefore I see Rudy doing a nice alley oop where much of the fancy body control stuff is done in the air before he receives the ball.

Therefore, I think a 360 alley-oop is one of the fancier things I can imagine Rudy doing in the dunk competition, and based on in game dunks I've seen Rudy do, this is something that I believe Rudy can do and do it very well, so I think there is a high chance he tries something along those lines.

Edit: I think I may have misinterpreted your question. I thought you were questioning why I believe their is a 75% chance he would go for the dunk you suggested and were saying that in a "Oh really? Did Rudy tell you that?" sort of way. So to answer if I found a way to contact Rudy about the Dwight dunk, no, I have not.

Last edited by Myth : 01-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
AznTacoLover
College superstar

Yeah your right.I've never seen him do a one handed dunk before.
ahh damn that sucks :P
since that's a good idea..
Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Myth

He's done one handed dunks, but they are pretty straight forward (dunk on Howard being the best 1 handed dunk I've seen him do).
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
AznTacoLover
College superstar

Quote:
He's done one handed dunks, but they are pretty straight forward (dunk on Howard being the best 1 handed dunk I've seen him do).

Dayum.I missed that dunk becuase I thought it was going to be in the morning
Are there any other videos of him dunking? in spain? that we've never seen before?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Local High School Star

On the radio today they were saying he was going to do some soccer trick. Something like kicking a ball in the air????? Did anyone hear this?

I like the cardboard cutout idea. Set a Kobe out in front of Howard just like in the Gold Medal Game. (He did blow by Kobe also) Do all this while in a Robin custum from BatMan and Robin. <--- Well maybe not LOL.

And for another dunk he just put a cutout of Superman. Then wrape the ankles of Kobes cutout to make it look like rudy busted his ankles? (New Commercial)

A friend told me he might dunk two balls at the same time. But I do not know where he heard this from.

Also don't you need a few dunks to get thru the rounds? Rudy will have to be great to win this thing. But he is gloing to have to use some kind of props to make it funny. He could doa lot with the cardboard cutout idea. He could put deferent players like P. Gasol and Howard. Even Shag. Then have Oden come out and act like a cutout. Then for the final dunk he can set all the cutouts to fall like dominoes while he dunks on all of them in line. Hell why not pull out a D. Miles standing next to KP Cutout???? LOL People would be dieing from laughing so hard.

LOL I am thinking of more stuff as I type. what do you guys think of the cutout idea? You can get the big cutouts from Fat Head.... So that would be easy. I wonder if Fat Head would do custum ones just for Rudy?

Also I wonder what Howard would think of all this? I bet if Rudy asked him before hand Howard would not care. He seems like a funny guy.

Last edited by 5150 : 01-21-2009 at 05:36 AM.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #10
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150
Then wrape the ankles of Kobes

Hmmm.... I wonder if Rudy knows that the 2 ball thing has been done before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlU8ICH6lU

And if a cardboard is used, it should be something simple, like just a Dwight cutout. Adding multiple cutouts to dribble around and such would be a lot of set up for not much pay off. The crowd would be like, "he dribbled by a cutout?"

I'm also not a huge fan of the kick thing if it is anything like Nash's soccer flick-kick to Amare. Now if he can flat out boot it against the backboard and throw down a huge down, that could be alright, but what I'm envisioning in my head would be incredibly tough.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
Local High School Star

Quote:

Hmmm.... I wonder if Rudy knows that the 2 ball thing has been done before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlU8ICH6lU

And if a cardboard is used, it should be something simple, like just a Dwight cutout. Adding multiple cutouts to dribble around and such would be a lot of set up for not much pay off. The crowd would be like, "he dribbled by a cutout?"

I'm also not a huge fan of the kick thing if it is anything like Nash's soccer flick-kick to Amare. Now if he can flat out boot it against the backboard and throw down a huge down, that could be alright, but what I'm envisioning in my head would be incredibly tough.

Okay Okay it was just some ideas. I can get carried away at times.

Maybe have the two ball dunk off the lob?

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150
Maybe have the two ball dunk off the lob?

YES! Now that would be awesome.

A dunk idea that thought would be cool for somebody is instead of the partner dunk being a simple alley-oop pass, is that the other guy jumps with the ball and does some fancy handoff with the dunker in mid air. There is a tons of different things that have never been done before with that style of handoff. I like to imagine a dunk where the guy starting with the ball goes between the legs then hands off to the guy next to him that is doing a 360 or a behind the back in air then handing off to the dunker to go behind his back then dunk. Certain dunks could get dangerous, but there are probably 30 or more dunks that have never been done before in the NBA dunk contest using this technique.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I find it disturbing that Rudy probably only got in due to Euro and China votes. America wanted Alexander. I think if Bayless played more minutes earlier in the season, then he would be featured cuz he's a beast dunker.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
Myth

I don't think he did get in because of Euro votes. I don't think it was well advertised over seas, because there were only 500,000 total votes. With a number so low, I assume it was mainly US citizens. My guess is that most voters didn't do research on the players and Rudy is the closest one to a household name because his team is doing better and he has appeared more often on Sportscenter (especially in the top 10 plays due to alley-oops from Sergio).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: