Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 09-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
IGGYIVERSON
High school junior varsity star

IGGYIVERSON has an OK reputation so far
Default If Bird were in his prime (2006)....

give up on the MJ thread. dude wouldve dominated just as much in any era....

what do you see prime Bird (84-87) doing in today's NBA??

the other thread is just as ridiculous so i figured hey! might as well make one about Larry.

In 1986, Sports Illustrated called him the Greatest Basketball Player of All Time (however injuries and a short prime ended those claims pretty soon). 20 years later, does anyone think he couldve been shutdown?? an even better player??? would he rack up record breaking fines for taunting??
IGGYIVERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He wouldnt be as good as he was but he would still be good. He would llok RIDICULOUSLY unathletic now...
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Im shocked at that statement raiderfan, we finally disagree about something.

To me, Bird is a combination of all the strengths of both Dirk and KG offensively while being about in the middle of where Dirk and KG are defensively, ie better than Dirk but not as good as KG.

Bird is one of those few players in history that would be a top player in any generation. Considering he did his thing in, easily, the best era of basketball in NBA history (80-93), I see no reason he wouldn't be nearly as good today.

Bird and Paul Pierce would basically guarantee the Celtics the ECFs.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
IGGYIVERSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
He wouldnt be as good as he was but he would still be good. He would llok RIDICULOUSLY unathletic now...

my argument for this comment is look at the past few TEAM USA defeats...

strong fundamentals, high IQ, and heart beating insane athleticism.

prime Bird would dominate even more IMO. a zone couldnt stop him, easier perimeter rules would help one of the greatest free throw shooters ever, etc.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has an OK reputation so far

I think Legend would fare as well as he did then or better.

He was never about athleticism, yet he fared well against many athletic players. What a lot of people dont' realize is that being a great threat isn't always about athleticism, it's about knowing how to position yourself, reading defenses, knowing which spots to pick and a variety of other things unrelates to your physical makeup. It's how Steve Nash is able to dominate without being that athletic.

He had a mental toughness and basketball IQ that is pretty much unmatched in today's NBA.

Plus he could shoot lights out from anywhere on the floor. He was as good a pure shooter as anyone in the game today, but a much better player in many other facets of the game than any of the pure shooters today.

Legend would kill today.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
Im shocked at that statement raiderfan, we finally disagree about something.

To me, Bird is a combination of all the strengths of both Dirk and KG offensively while being about in the middle of where Dirk and KG are defensively, ie better than Dirk but not as good as KG.

Bird is one of those few players in history that would be a top player in any generation. Considering he did his thing in, easily, the best era of basketball in NBA history (80-93), I see no reason he wouldn't be nearly as good today.

Bird and Paul Pierce would basically guarantee the Celtics the ECFs.
One, he wasnt better defensively than Dirk, yes i know he made some all defensive second teams but everyone knows that was a joke. As for offense, he would be amazing offensively in any era but his defense would be more exposed now with more individual offensive talent and more one on one offenses.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
IGGYIVERSON

Quote:
One, he wasnt better defensively than Dirk, yes i know he made some all defensive second teams but everyone knows that was a joke. As for offense, he would be amazing offensively in any era but his defense would be more exposed now with more individual offensive talent and more one on one offenses.

speechless wow man.....wow
Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

It wouyld definitely depend on his team around him. He wouldn't be playing with 3 HOFers by his side. He would still be good but would his team? I dunno. Could he have turned around the Knicks last year? I seriously doubt it. But I don't think anyone could have.

But he would have been just fine. I don't know if he would have been the best forward in the league but definitely in the top 3.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

Actually Cornbread Maxwell always joked about how he was the one doing all the guarding while Dirk made the all-nba defensive team. (And every Celtic knew it at the time too.) During their playoff years McHale would always guard the best low post player out of the forwards.

It wasn't a knock on Larry's defense as it was to say that he garner some of it by reputation.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Hey Raider

Bird was not a good individual defender

But he was a great team defender...that was the reason he made those defensive teams, and he is better than Dirk at defense...
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh my god, stop comparing some of the 5 greatest players in NBA history, who played during the golden years of the NBA with the greatest competition the league has ever known, with the the watered down talent and over protective crap of today.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
IGGYIVERSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Hey Raider

Bird was not a good individual defender

But he was a great team defender...that was the reason he made those defensive teams, and he is better than Dirk at defense...

exactly. altho one interesting thing was that defensively, Bird wasnt afraid of committing hard fouls. in today's game however those are flagrant 2's.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
IGGYIVERSON

my favorite Bird highlight clip on YouTube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU
Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

I think that Larry would fare well on offense... He was a great shooter. I would be concerned about his defense though. Larry wasn't a great individual defender and relied more on team defense. In today's game, SF's generally have good handles and are quick and have the ability to get their points on isolation plays, so unfortunately, that deficiency in Larry's game would be more evident.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What many people forget is that Bird's 2 all-time favorite opponents were
1) Blazers
2) Hawks,
two of the most athletic teams in the NBA, with Drexler, Rivers, Wilkins, Kersey, Antoine Carr, etc.

If I remember correctly, he had 2 50-pointers (incl. his career-high 60) and an almost triple-15 against the Hawks, 2 40-point triple doubles against the Blazers, not to mention that 1988 series against the Hawks again.

Both the Jordan and the Bird topics are pretty much alike, with the exception of Bird's mediocre athleticism.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: