Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation
Default Re: Kevin Mchale is simultaneously the greatest head coach and worst GM in NBA history

The T'wolves are playing great right now. Foye, out of his mind.

McHale is a very good coach from what little I've seen. Take away the 5-6 game lost from that "transition" period, they have themselves a nice record going.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Kevin Mchale is simultaneously the greatest head coach and worst GM in NBA history

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Being a GM is more business than basketball. It's about implementation and execution of a business model, which is more conceptual than anything. I don't think Kevin has understood that and ever sat down and defined what he wanted Minnesota to look like and the team he wants them to be. Instead he's always slapped guys together, much like the Clippers.
Well this article from Forbes last year says that business-wise he's the best in pro sports. http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/02/spo...0302gms_2.html
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
Well this article from Forbes last year says that business-wise he's the best in pro sports. http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/02/spo...0302gms_2.html

From an NBA standpoint, when I look at this list and see McHale, Paxon, and Pietrie on the top of this list while RC Buford is not even in the top 30, there's something seriously flawed. Hell, how Elgin Baylor can make the top 50 is beyond me. This list seems to use a formula that doesn't make sense.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Part of the Wolves turn around is Randy Foye is playing SG more than PG. Sebastian Telfair is also playing really well too.
This is pretty much the biggest reason for their recent success. Also, making that kind of move (putting players in situations that are best for them) motivates players a lot when they haven't had that for a year or so.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Honestly I think a huge part of Kevin McHale's failures as a GM were due to Kevin Garnett's contract. All franchises are not created equal so some simply are not capable of handling the burden of "mega contracts".

Minnesota looks like that may have been the case. After giving him the first huge deal the Wolves let go of Stephon Marbury (inability to give Marbury market value was the deciding factor in his trade not home sickness) and Tom Gugliotta. The same thing happened with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Not so much with Sprewell. That was more a case of Sprewell grossly overestimating his value.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #22
sonicman
Decent playground baller

sonicman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Honestly I think a huge part of Kevin McHale's failures as a GM were due to Kevin Garnett's contract. All franchises are not created equal so some simply are not capable of handling the burden of "mega contracts".

Minnesota looks like that may have been the case. After giving him the first huge deal the Wolves let go of Stephon Marbury (inability to give Marbury market value was the deciding factor in his trade not home sickness) and Tom Gugliotta. The same thing happened with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell.

The Joe Smith thing hurt a bit as well...
sonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #23
godofgods
Banned

godofgods has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Greatest?

Go back to the drawing board and re-think this thread.

The guy got carried away. McHale is a great coach but not the greatest yet.
However, he's clearly much better than Phil Jackson. FACT!
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Not so much with Sprewell. That was more a case of Sprewell grossly overestimating his value.
In my honest opinion if Latrell Sprewell doesn't make himself the biggest pariah in all of sports with his "family to feed" line someone would have given him the money he was looking for.

The number Spree was looking for was something like $7-10 million per right?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
In my honest opinion if Latrell Sprewell doesn't make himself the biggest pariah in all of sports with his "family to feed" line someone would have given him the money he was looking for.

He was offered 7. I think he was looking for 10...for 16 points per game at the very end of his career. Probably had one or two full seasons of high-level play left.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDedalus
How does he manage to pull it off?

definitely the best Boston GM ever... giving away KG like that.... but as a great coach? i think not....

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #27
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

that or trying to choke his coach..... lol

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
He was offered 7. I think he was looking for 10...for 16 points per game at the very end of his career. Probably had one or two full seasons of high-level play left.
In a league were Larry Hughes gets a five year $70 million contract I find it hard to believe that Spree could not find someone that would give him three years at $30 million.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kevin Mchale is simultaneously the greatest head coach and worst GM in NBA histor

Quote:
In a league were Larry Hughes gets a five year $70 million contract I find it hard to believe that Spree could not find someone that would give him three years at $30 million.

He was like 34 or 35 at the time. Come on now, who really gives that much money to someone of that age with the exception of superstars?
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Da KO King

Default Re: Kevin Mchale is simultaneously the greatest head coach and worst GM in NBA histor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
He was like 34 or 35 at the time. Come on now, who really gives that much money to someone of that age with the exception of superstars?
I recognize Spree's age which is why I said three year deal. Even though he was 34 years old Spree was still very athletic and did not look to be "running on fumes".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: