Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #31
Duncan21formvp
Good college starter

Default Re: Era Comparison: Michael Jordan Defenders vs Kobe Bryant defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB42PAH
Before Jordan, SG were usually 6''2-6''5, now they go up to even 6''8 or 6''9. I mean just watch every Jordan game, and you will see a few things.

1) He was generally guarded by alot shorter defender (2-3 inches shorter)
2) He was able to back his shorter defender down 1 on 1.

Kobe Defenders:

Durant 6''9
Lebron 6''9
AK47: 6''9
Prince 6''9
Battier 6''8
Chandler 6'8
Outlaw: 6''8
Marion 6''8
Pierce: 6''8
Posey 6''8
Johnson: 6''8
Harrington: 6''8
Bowen 6''7
Artest: 6''7
K.Martin 6''8
Bell: 6''5
Davis: 6''4

Jordan Defenders:

Russell 6''7
Ehlo: 6''6
Payton: 6''4
Ainge: 6''4
Dumars: 6'3
Starks 6"3

Kobe faces better more bigger, stronger, athletic players night in and night out against zone defenses (illegal in Jordan's day). All the elite defenders of the 80s were 6'4" and under.

Typical SG's jordan faced 6''2 -6''5, alot more white players
Typical SG Kobe faces 6''5-6''9, alot less white defenders

MJ faced the likes of Craig Ehlo, Byron Scott, Danny Ainge, Jeff Hornacek, Jeff Malone, Ron Harper, Ricky Pierce, Clyde Drexler, John Starks, Voshon Lenard, Eddie Jones, Vinny Del Negro, Rolando Blackman, Sleepy Floyd, Reggie Lewis, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Reggie Miller, Penny Hardaway, John Starks, Steve Smith, Gerald Wilkins, Bernard King, Reggie Theus, Ricky Pierce, Rex Chapman, Reggie Lewis, Hersey Hawkins, Willie Anderson, Vernon Maxwell, Nick Anderson, Tony Campbell, Reggie Williams, Nate McMillan, Rory Sparrow, Kendall Gill, Stacy Augmon, Dan Majerle, David Wesley, Rex Walters, Jim Jackson, J.R. Rider, Calbert Cheaney, Kerry Kittles, and Bobby Phills, etc

Kobe faces likes of Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Cuttino Mobley, Corey Maggette, Carmleo Anthony, Jason Richardson, Manu Ginobili, Reggie Miller (post prime), Raja Bell, Allen Iverson, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Scottie Pippen (post prime), Richard Jefferson, Rip Hamilton, J.R Smith, Shawn Marion, James Posey, Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest, Raja Bell, Tayshawn Prince, Shane battier, Andre Kirelinko, Brandon Roy, Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Bo Outlaw, Kenyon Martin, Chanucey Billups, Jason Kidd, Josh Howard, etc

And yet none of those guys have 2+ finals mvp's but Jordan.
Duncan21formvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #32
gts
shhhhhhh

this is going well

Q. how do you get a psychotic kobe, MJ or lebron groupie off your front porch?

A. Pay him for the pizza

Last edited by gts : 01-24-2009 at 06:41 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #33
JD_TO
I usually hit open layups

You have lost credibility with me when you mentioned Vince Carter and defender are we not watching the same VC.
JD_TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #34
KB42PAH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_TO
You have lost credibility with me when you mentioned Vince Carter and defender are we not watching the same VC.

When he tries hes a good defender, and against Kobe he tries. Believe me.
KB42PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #35
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

MJ was defended by Bernard King?
I doubt that..and, if so, it would have been a broken down King.
I would like see that.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
falc39
Local High School Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ9dB...e=channel_page
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #37
smalls123
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
First, you didn't prove anything. You didn't give a true average, you just posted selected examples. Unless you have the average height of every PLAYER who guarded both guys (who weren't always SG's), then you have no point. All you have is selective reasoning.

Also, here is a FACT that is not disputable: height isn't the determining factor of a good defender. Things like strength, length, quickness, footwork, etc are much more important than pure height and athleticism. There are literally dozens of players who are tall and athletic who are NOT good defenders in this league.

Then how is he the best? "He is the best unless he's pressured by a top defense ". Doesn't that mean he's NOT the best?

This is the point I made. Teams with smaller 2-guards would put their 3 on Jordan and let the smaller 2-guard take Pippen, because Pippen was out on the point so often. This was especially true in the mid to late 90's when Jordan really started to use the post game a lot.

But of course this guy will ignore that.

Last edited by smalls123 : 01-24-2009 at 07:04 PM.
smalls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
JD_TO
I usually hit open layups

Quote:

When he tried he was an average defender not a Ron Artest or Bruce Bowen but just VC.When i remebered him in his Raptor days it was Alvin Williams who was always defending the opposing teams better guard.
JD_TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
KB42PAH
Banned

Regardless if you think shorter defenders are better or taller defenders are better, you can see that Kobe goes up against more athletic taller denders. That is a fact.

Also, you consider that kobe 2001-2004 played against BOTH zone and handchecking and his best season during that time span 2002-2003 .That is a fact.

Jordan only faced handchecking, not zone in his prime. That is a fact.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
Cookie Monster
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Regardless if you think shorter defenders are better or taller defenders are better, you can see that Kobe goes up against more athletic taller denders. That is a fact.

Also, you consider that kobe 2001-2004 played against BOTH zone and handchecking and his best season during that time span 2002-2003 .That is a fact.

Your just unbelievably stupid. That is a fact.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #41
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

The only fact is that you are too addicted to Kobe and will never get past saying, "Hey" to a girl.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #43
juju151111
NBA All-star

Quote:
Good job avoiding my question and post.Why didn't u add posey,PP etc.. I know Posey and PP, marion,tmac etc.. gave Mj problems because he played against inferior defenders back in the day.They freaking shut down that old man oh wait http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHwhL...e=channel_page (LOl playing at 40 on broken Knees vs PP in his prime before he got fat and slow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKS7u...e=channel_page (just incase u said that 25pts in the other vid isn't that good.Lets look at him before the Knee injury 2002 vs PP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp__L...e=channel_page (Shawn marion Aka Mj beaten stick)

Wow those Amazing defenders are killing MJ.He never had a chance.Ok lets Look at some hyped up defenders from this era vs a broken down MJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPsuzUZ69U (Mj vs Posey.)
Bruce bowen and Artest both said Mj was the hardest to guard.he was pass his prime too.LOL ur so called best defenders?
juju151111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #44
juju151111
NBA All-star

Quote:

I thought Clyde drexler was athlethic and tall.Did he shut down MJ?Zone can't stop Mj.Go watch the fuking 92 ECF and u will see.After u watch it then Come back to me.
juju151111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #45
KB42PAH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju151111
Good job avoiding my question and post.Why didn't u add posey,PP etc.. I know Posey and PP, marion,tmac etc.. gave Mj problems because he played against inferior defenders back in the day.They freaking shut down that old man oh wait http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHwhL...e=channel_page (LOl playing at 40 on broken Knees vs PP in his prime before he got fat and slow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKS7u...e=channel_page (just incase u said that 25pts in the other vid isn't that good.Lets look at him before the Knee injury 2002 vs PP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp__L...e=channel_page (Shawn marion Aka Mj beaten stick)

Wow those Amazing defenders are killing MJ.He never had a chance.Ok lets Look at some hyped up defenders from this era vs a broken down MJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPsuzUZ69U (Mj vs Posey.)
Bruce bowen and Artest both said Mj was the hardest to guard.he was pass his prime too.LOL ur so called best defenders?

Jordan = 41.6% FG, 18.9% 3PT in Zone era against better defenders .

I know he was old and past his prime, but if you will post his points, also post his FG% when he came back. Thanks.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: