Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far
Default Tell me how you would market the League if you were Stern

Everyday I hear someone say the NBA needs to market the teams not the players, or Jordan left a huge void that no player today can ever feel, etc...

I just want to hear how you guys would market the league if you were in charge. I think the superstar vs. superstar ploys that ESPN and TNT use on TV are corny most of the times, but they know what they're doing. How would you do it?
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation
Default Re: Tell me how you would market the League if you were Stern

weed>
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
TheGame
Serious playground baller

TheGame has an OK reputation so far

Marijuana
TheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
#1SportsFan86
Mavs All Day

#1SportsFan86 has decent reputation

If I was Stern I would give every team in the NBA a chance to win the NBA Title instead for showing favoritism for big market teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Rockets...if you go back and look at the NBA no small market team has ever won the NBA title, if different teams had a fair chance to win the NBA would be more exciting instead of having the same teams in the finals every year beacuse they draw big T.V. ratings but it don't matter because all David Stern cares about is ratings.
#1SportsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
nbastatus
Doodle

nbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86
If I was Stern I would give every team in the NBA a chance to win the NBA Title instead for showing favoritism for big market teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Rockets...if you go back and look at the NBA no small market team has ever won the NBA title, if different teams had a fair chance to win the NBA would be more exciting instead of having the same teams in the finals every year beacuse they draw big T.V. ratings but it don't matter because all David Stern cares about is ratings.
whats the point of watching nba then?
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1) Every team having a minimum of two national broadcasts is a good start.

2) I've had enough of the lottery. Worst record = #1 pick (and on down the line). I know the argument, you don't want a team to tank blah blah blah. Give it say 5 years and see how it actually plays out.

3) Come to a damn settlement already about this retarded ruling that came about during the merger that the former ABA teams who joined the NBA had to give I believe 1/7th of their TV revenue to St. Louis because their team wasn't accepted into the league (who the hell gets that MASSIVE chunk of change?). That helps kill the bottom line for most of those teams.

4) A new approach to revenue sharing. Owning an NBA franchise is in a majority of cases not even profitable to owners, teams run at a loss more than you think. You don't get into it to actually make money because it's damn near impossible. I don't know the figures on teams like LAL, Boston, NY, etc, but something must be done to help the "small market" teams at least break even. Which means, god forbid, you play in an arena that is more than a decade old.

5) Coincides with #4. And will never happen, I'm not stupid. Either encourage the NBAPA to get logical and realize player salaries can't continually increase while league revenue falls OR encourage them to encourage the players to donate portions of salaries to charities, or enable a "pay for play" scenario to be written into some contracts, you miss work, you don't get paid. Also, NFL/MLB type bonuses at a larger scale. This includes performance based and signing bonuses that DO NOT count towards the cap.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 02-10-2009 at 03:25 AM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
3) Come to a damn settlement already about this retarded ruling that came about during the merger that the former ABA teams who joined the NBA had to give I believe 1/7th of their TV revenue to St. Louis because their team wasn't accepted into the league (who the hell gets that MASSIVE chunk of change?). That helps kill the bottom line for most of those teams.

Apparently, this is now costing the 4 teams something like 4-5 million a season. That's a bloody MLE right there. What scares me is that I never read anything about whether this deal expires when the two guys kick the bucket or not. I'm worried that it might go to their heirs.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
fos
It's not rebound-ball.

fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd market Dirk, Nash, and... Kyle Korver?

The league needs more white stars. Just one american white star would be enough. It's just the way it is, people like to see people that look like them and sound like them doing something they like (basketball).
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

5) Coincides with #4. And will never happen, I'm not stupid. Either encourage the NBAPA to get logical and realize player salaries can't continually increase while league revenue falls OR encourage them to encourage the players to donate portions of salaries to charities, or enable a "pay for play" scenario to be written into some contracts, you miss work, you don't get paid. Also, NFL/MLB type bonuses at a larger scale. This includes performance based and signing bonuses that DO NOT count towards the cap.

Isn't the salary cap based on total revenue? Also, owners aren't forced to pay players huge contracts. It's their choice. (Except for rookie scale contracts......)
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would refocus public attention to the TEAMS instead of 2 or 3 key NBA players (first Magic/Bird, then Jordan, then Shaq/Kobe, then Lebron/Dwade). These guys today are marketed enuf by the products they endorse. The NBA itself would help themselves by focusing on the TEAMS.

This would allow the fanbase to be greater fans of their teams instead of player-centric. This will help those teams survive in their markets. Indeed, grow their markets.

The only way I can think to accomplish this, offhand, is to help insure that teams keep their talented players; i.e. you don't want Elton Brand to bail on the Clippers like he did. So, allow teams to slap a franchise tag on a player such that, if he DOES bail (which he has the right to do), then that team is awarded the other team's 1st round pick.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Oh my, I could go into serious depth on this one.

Let's just say, the one thing I would do is making Sunday's special. Like in the NFL, atleast 28 of the 30 teams would play each and every Sunday. There would be 14 games overall, a double header on ABC and a double header on TNT, each and every Sunday. I would play off each other, having ABC cut into TNT feeds, TNT cut into ABC feeds, etc...

I would do this twice a week, on Sunday and on Thursday night, with TNT/ESPN sharing the duties then. You would do the majority of the NBA schedule on these two days/nights and sprinkle the remaining games around during the week like they currently do. But the meat and potato's would always be on Thursdays and Sundays and there would be maximum coverage and analysis.

You'd have the Lakers -vs- Spurs on ABC with the Cavs -vs- Magic on TNT, both at the same time, with studio cuts throughout the game to highlights from all the games around the league. Pre-game show, post-game show, all on these channels and not just on NBA TV.

Also, NBA TV would have to be taken off of PPV status. NFL and MLB have free networks, why isnt the NBA? It is a damn good tool to get people interested in the NBA. It also can be used to attract lost viewers of the Jordan era and even back to the Golden Era of the 80s.

Honest to goodness, there is alot of work to do. The NBA is poorly marketed. I can't remember the last time I walked into Best Buy and found a "Best of Tim Duncan: The King of The Block" DVD or something like that. Feature college highlights, high school highlights, full NBA classic games like his wars against Shaq in the early millenium, player interviews, coaches interviews, etc...

I could write a virtual thesis built around a hypothesis on an improved NBA and I am sure many of you could too.

The league could be so special if they would just put some effort into it. Stern has just quit marketing the thing. He should realize the world around him and, while he is doing great globally, he has to work harder with the NCAA, Nike, and others to bring the NBA to where it should be.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Experiment with an occasional outdoor game.

That has been enormously popular with the NHL, drawing record crowds for a league that has trouble with attendance.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:

this is simply untrue...

houston is the 11th biggest market in the league... thats not very big plus they have 2 rings... thats not a lot.

san antonio has the 20th biggest market in the league and has 4 championships in recent years.

miami has the 12th biggest market in the league and won a ring just a couple years ago

out of the top 10 market sizes of cities with nba teams:

1. new york- hasn't had their team win a ring since 1973.
2. los angeles- very successful, 9 rings in los angeles (5 in minnepolis)
3. chicago- 6 rings all in the MJ era, none before, none after
4. philadelphia- hasn't won a ring since 1983 (before stern was commisioner)
5. sanfran/oakland- haven't won a ring since 1975 (before stern)
6. dallas- has never won a ring
7. boston- 16 rings, back on top after being bad for a while
8. washington- one of the worst franchises, hasn't won a ring since '78
9. atlanta- no rings in atlanta (1 in st. louis in 1957)
10. detriot - 3 rings

so out of the top 10 nba cities in terms of market size, LA, chicago, boston, and detroit have won rings since stern became commissioner... whereas miami, san antonio, and houston also won rings as mid-to-small market sized teams. also, small to mid market teams have been to the finals such as portland, indiana, utah, orlando, phoenix, seattle, and cleveland under stern's reign. of course big-market cities do better... their owners usually have more cash to spend. but the salary cap makes the NBA the best at giving other teams a chance...

look at baseball's past 10 champions... philadelphia (5th largest overall market in country, boston (6th), st. louis (22nd), chicago (3rd), boston (6th), los angeles/anaheim (2nd), phoenix (16th), new york (1st), new york (1st)... thats 8 out of 10 champs being in the top 10 (top SIX actually) US market sizes)... basketball: boston (6th), san antonio (37th), miami (15th), san antonio (37th), detroit (10th), san antonio (37th), los angeles (2nd), los angeles (2nd), los angeles (2nd), san antonio (37th)... 5 out of 10 are in top 10 markets...

of course its not going to be perfect, but i think stern does a good job of this. as more evidence just look at the standings... out of the top 8 teams in the east, only boston and philadelphia are truly "big markets", while in the west only the lakers, and mavericks truly play in "big markets". large market teams such as the bulls, knicks, wizards, clippers, and warriors are terrible.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

Quote:

how long have you followed the nba? a week? ever heard of the san antonio spurs??

Last edited by ikoiko : 02-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
Oh my, I could go into serious depth on this one.

Let's just say, the one thing I would do is making Sunday's special. Like in the NFL, atleast 28 of the 30 teams would play each and every Sunday. There would be 14 games overall, a double header on ABC and a double header on TNT, each and every Sunday. I would play off each other, having ABC cut into TNT feeds, TNT cut into ABC feeds, etc...

I would do this twice a week, on Sunday and on Thursday night, with TNT/ESPN sharing the duties then. You would do the majority of the NBA schedule on these two days/nights and sprinkle the remaining games around during the week like they currently do. But the meat and potato's would always be on Thursdays and Sundays and there would be maximum coverage and analysis.

You'd have the Lakers -vs- Spurs on ABC with the Cavs -vs- Magic on TNT, both at the same time, with studio cuts throughout the game to highlights from all the games around the league. Pre-game show, post-game show, all on these channels and not just on NBA TV.

Also, NBA TV would have to be taken off of PPV status. NFL and MLB have free networks, why isnt the NBA? It is a damn good tool to get people interested in the NBA. It also can be used to attract lost viewers of the Jordan era and even back to the Golden Era of the 80s.

Honest to goodness, there is alot of work to do. The NBA is poorly marketed. I can't remember the last time I walked into Best Buy and found a "Best of Tim Duncan: The King of The Block" DVD or something like that. Feature college highlights, high school highlights, full NBA classic games like his wars against Shaq in the early millenium, player interviews, coaches interviews, etc...

I could write a virtual thesis built around a hypothesis on an improved NBA and I am sure many of you could too.

The league could be so special if they would just put some effort into it. Stern has just quit marketing the thing. He should realize the world around him and, while he is doing great globally, he has to work harder with the NCAA, Nike, and others to bring the NBA to where it should be.

completely agree on all counts. especially the nba tv one, that would be crucial to get new fans in from countries where they don't broadcast nba games (such as mine )
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: