Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
-primetime-

Default Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...y-cloning.html

Quote:
The Pyrenean ibex, a form of wild mountain goat, was officially declared extinct in 2000 when the last-known animal of its kind was found dead in northern Spain.

Shortly before its death, scientists preserved skin samples of the goat, a subspecies of the Spanish ibex that live in mountain ranges across the country, in liquid nitrogen.

Using DNA taken from these skin samples, the scientists were able to replace the genetic material in eggs from domestic goats, to clone a female Pyrenean ibex, or bucardo as they are known. It is the first time an extinct animal has been cloned.

Sadly, the newborn ibex kid died shortly after birth due to physical defects in its lungs. Other cloned animals, including sheep, have been born with similar lung defects.

But the breakthrough has raised hopes that it will be possible to save endangered and newly extinct species by resurrecting them from frozen tissue.

It has also increased the possibility that it will one day be possible to reproduce long-dead species such as woolly mammoths and even dinosaurs.

man I hope that I get the chance to see a living T-Rex before I die...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-

Jurassic Park.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-

well, unless you got some frozen t-rex tissue good luck. Until they can deal with aDNA degradation, itll only be available for current endangered species. with enough individual samples (a bunch of stuffed dodo or something), they may be able to get the whole sequence, but I dont think its there.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Sanity
I know from experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Jurassic Park.

pretty much. Lol I'm a big supporter of science but theirs gonna have to be some limitations on some of this
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Science is so, so amazing. Yet scary.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Sanity
I know from experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Science is so, so amazing. Yet scary.

Thats the truth
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
-primetime-

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...h-picture.html

they need to get to work on that frozen mammoth that was found RIGHT NOW!!!

would love to see one of those...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

They can bring back extinct species but no time travel yet. What a f'ing joke. They've got about 60 years until I kick the bucket (knock on wood) to ship my ass back in time for Woodstock, so they had better get on it.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
embersyc
Lurker

Time travel was actually invented 30 years ago, but some jackass went back in time and killed the inventor.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
crounsa810
National High School Star

Cool, but could get out of hand really easily, so they need to put some limitations on it. As for time travel, well, I don't think that would be such a good idea. I mean, yeah it would be nice to go back in time and change some things, but there's too big of a risk to screw up history. I'd be fine with no time travel thank you very much.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Jurassic Park.

now we can look for the long awaited Eazy album droppin in 2020 with guest appearences by Eazy E. In all seriousness I think its not such a good thing WHY? what good is an extinct animal coming back to life? Do we really wanna have a real life Jurassic park? It all leads back to profit... its marketable when thats not even the point. At some point it will turn corrupt.
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
I mean, yeah it would be nice to go back in time and change some things, but there's too big of a risk to screw up history.
I think that part of it is fairly overblown in films. How talking to one person for five seconds could change whether they live or die and such. Besides, all I'm asking for is a few days of peace, love, and sound. Actually, if I could head to Monterey Pop, see AC/DC with Bon Scott, catch a late forties Yankees/Red Sox game, and dig SRV at Montreux, that'd be all right too.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
crounsa810
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I think that part of it is fairly overblown in films. How talking to one person for five seconds could change whether they live or die and such. Besides, all I'm asking for is a few days of peace, love, and sound. Actually, if I could head to Monterey Pop, see AC/DC with Bon Scott, catch a late forties Yankees/Red Sox game, and dig SRV at Montreux, that'd be all right too.
But still, it's something you never know. What if some jackass decided to go back in time and screw up the civil war, or any war for that matter? There's just so many things that could go wrong.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Most physicists believe time travel will become feasible, but they're not sure how to get back. Going back in time is plausible, but getting back is tricky. Technically going back in time has already taken place; when you orbit the earth you go back in time just a fraction of a second.

As for the T-Rex. They will not be able to bring them back that way, but they are making progress by turning on ancestral homeotic mutants in birds. This is the future for genetically engineering extinct creatures.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
lefthook00
College star

The govt. should make a huge wildlife park where people pay tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars to hunt crazy ancient animals, they would sign a death liability waiver first...they could make a lot of money...
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: