Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
-primetime-

Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Most physicists believe time travel will become feasible, but they're not sure how to get back. Going back in time is plausible, but getting back is tricky. Technically going back in time has already taken place; when you orbit the earth you go back in time just a fraction of a second.

As for the T-Rex. They will not be able to bring them back that way, but they are making progress by turning on ancestral homeotic mutants in birds. This is the future for genetically engineering extinct creatures.
could you describe that in layman's terms please?

or just the basic idea behind it...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Most physicists believe time travel will become feasible, but they're not sure how to get back.
That'd be fine with me. Since nobody will have seen "Back to the Future" in 1960, I'll totally Biff it and become a kajillionaire, and print off a songbook of classic rock hits and be the guy that writes "Stairway to Heaven," "Little Wing," "Like a Rolling Stone," and "Hotel California." Make millions off that, bang a thousand broads, be world renowned, play guitar in front of 500,000 people...yeah, I would be okay with stayin'.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
The govt. should make a huge wildlife park where people pay tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars to hunt crazy ancient animals, they would sign a death liability waiver first...they could make a lot of money...

Gotta love the mentality...you want to bring back animals that have been extinct for millions of years just to kill them again?
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
could you describe that in layman's terms please?

or just the basic idea behind it...

Homeotic mutants result in drastic physical changes (phenotypes). The classic example is "turning on" a set of legs where antenna are supposed to be in Drosphilia (house fly). The application for engineering dinosaurs is with birds. Because birds evolved from dinosaurs, they have most the genetic code for dinosaurs, but it's just "turned off." They are trying to identify these genes in chicken embryo's and then turn them on. For example, they can create chicken embryos with signs of tails by turning on some genes.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
-primetime-

Quote:
Homeotic mutants result in drastic physical changes (phenotypes). The classic example is "turning on" a set of legs where antenna are supposed to be in Drosphilia (house fly). The application for engineering dinosaurs is with birds. Because birds evolved from dinosaurs, they have most the genetic code for dinosaurs, but it's just "turned off." They are trying to identify these genes in chicken embryo's and then turn them on. For example, they can create chicken embryos with signs of tails by turning on some genes.
so would it be possible to turn on all the proper DNA codes for a dinosaur in a bird if they had them???

and would they be able to produce a living dinasaur that way???
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

I swear, the day I wake up & there's a T-Rex looking in my window, that'll be the day I go insane.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
so would it be possible to turn on all the proper DNA codes for a dinosaur in a bird if they had them???

and would they be able to produce a living dinasaur that way???

Assuming all the genetic code is still present, yes. Maybe there's an animal geneticist or physiologist here that knows more than I do. I'm just a plant guy.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #23
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Assuming all the genetic code is still present, yes. Maybe there's an animal geneticist or physiologist here that knows more than I do. I'm just a plant guy.

i rekon primative forms of man would be awesome. but the morality police would definatly have a problem with that.

i think the biggest thing to work on is the defects these cloned animals seem to have. is it because the process itself damages the dna?

is there a way to bring back extint plants in similar fashion?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #24
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i rekon primative forms of man would be awesome. but the morality police would definatly have a problem with that.

i think the biggest thing to work on is the defects these cloned animals seem to have. is it because the process itself damages the dna?

is there a way to bring back extint plants in similar fashion?
this article leads me to believe that not all clones have these defects...it just happens to some of them...

I don't remember hearing about any defects in the first sheep they cloned...i think they named it "Dolly"...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
this article leads me to believe that not all clones have these defects...it just happens to some of them...

I don't remember hearing about any defects in the first sheep they cloned...i think they named it "Dolly"...

i think it aged quickly or something i can't remember. its not so much how often the defects occur, it just seems that right now it is only a matter of chance whether the animal will be fine or not.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I'm not sure why clones die like that. There must be regulatory genes that are not functioning properly. I've never really read up much on it.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i think it aged quickly or something i can't remember. its not so much how often the defects occur, it just seems that right now it is only a matter of chance whether the animal will be fine or not.
well I am sure that is something they are trying to figure out...

and I would bet that eventually they do figure out why some are born with defects and fix it...

I just want to see a living dinosaur damn it...

any dinosaur...even a herbivore...i don't care

a T-Rex would be nice though...I could probably spend like 5 weeks straight just stairing at one without getting bored...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #28
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
AFAIK it's a big enough problem to prevent cloning or species repropagation from happening in any reliable kind of way.

all of this science stuff is very nifty and impressive, but the reality is that we are doing a terrible job of holding on to species and habitat right here and now.

we are in the midst of one of the greatest species dieoffs in earth's history while man keeps increasing exponentially and habitat keeps shrinking everywhere. cloning some animal and keeping it in an artificial zoo environment is kind of pointless when a thousand other species are going extinct at the same time.

still... do what you can. there's no other choice.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
miller-time

Quote:
a T-Rex would be nice though...I could probably spend like 5 weeks straight just stairing at one without getting bored...

any one of the main ones would be awesome, triceratops, diplodocus, stegosaurus, pachycephalosaurus. i was a dinosaur nut when i was a kid.

way off topic but does anybody remember dino riders? that was the sh!t.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #30
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Why do they always bring back the most unexciting animal? Come on, bring back some strange animals.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: