Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #31
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Why do they always bring back the most unexciting animal? Come on, bring back some strange animals.

I know! Some motherfuccin velociraptors, or sabre-tooth tigers or something.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #32
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
AFAIK it's a big enough problem to prevent cloning or species repropagation from happening in any reliable kind of way.

all of this science stuff is very nifty and impressive, but the reality is that we are doing a terrible job of holding on to species and habitat right here and now.

we are in the midst of one of the greatest species dieoffs in earth's history while man keeps increasing exponentially and habitat keeps shrinking everywhere. cloning some animal and keeping it in an artificial zoo environment is kind of pointless when a thousand other species are going extinct at the same time.

still... do what you can. there's no other choice.

Agreed. We need to protect the plants and animals we have living. They contain millions and billions of unknown genes and compounds that hold secrets of nature and cures to disease...

But hey, lets build a parking lot 5 times too large just so it's big enough for the day after Thanksgiving and half full the rest of the year.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #33
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Agreed. We need to protect the plants and animals we have living. They contain millions and billions of unknown genes and compounds that hold secrets of nature and cures to disease...
aye. i think if health concerns hadn't have changed my plans i would have studied to be an intertidal zone biologist or ethnobotanist as a backup.

do you have a specialty in botany at this point?

bah... gotta hit the hay.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #34
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It appears that the common case of death is lung complications, how much easier does his make it for future revitalizations? I would assume that once you know what the problem is and where it is formed, you can come to another conclusion of what it is, why it happens, or how to cure it.

Of course, it is evident that dinosaurs, dodos and such won't be revitalized into our world but science proves yet again it's mysterious ways...I always was fascinated with things like this; I hope one day they can bring nearly everything back and perhaps do something with time like JDG brought up.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #35
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I always wondered why these things are exposed to the real world constantly? Why is it that I don't learn about this in biology or chemistry? I would think news like this deserves exposure to the population considering it is borderline breakthrough and only something drugged up kids could think up of (We need cures for AIDS yet they find a way to bring animals back from the dead?) so again it shocks me that it isn't exposed to the world more.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #36
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Time travel was actually invented 30 years ago, but some jackass went back in time and killed the inventor.

So then the guy that went back is stuck there right?

link please
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #37
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
so again it shocks me that it isn't exposed to the world more.

i suppose there isn't money to be made reporting this news. most news in science revolves around energy and technology (consumer products).
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #38
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

maybe bringing back stuff that died off recently is ok but dinos and mammoths?

hell no!

who knows what kind of diseases and crap they carry?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
I always wondered why these things are exposed to the real world constantly? Why is it that I don't learn about this in biology or chemistry? I would think news like this deserves exposure to the population considering it is borderline breakthrough and only something drugged up kids could think up of (We need cures for AIDS yet they find a way to bring animals back from the dead?) so again it shocks me that it isn't exposed to the world more.

Dude, it's not like all scientists concentrate on one problem in the world at a time. I really don't think you have the expertise to gauge what's harder to achieve (AIDS or reviving animals back from extinction).
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #40
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

So much for natural selection...
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #41
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Im sure theres more than just wooly mamooths in the La Brea Tar Pits. Im sure something else ancient was preserved in there. Lets just clone everything we find there it would be pretty cool.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #42
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Understanding genetic control surely helps in the fight against diseases such as AIDS. Much of the research they do in plants and animals is transfered to medical sciences and vice versa.

For example, researchers have recently discovered how to genetically engineer plants so their seeds produce human insulin in oleosomes which can be used for diabetics. Seeds can be dessicated and easily stored for use at a later date. This is a major advancement in diabetic research and has a lot of potential.

Understanding molecular biology and physiology in a variety of research areas lends itself to a multitude of applications.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #43
v-unit
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Dude, it's not like all scientists concentrate on one problem in the world at a time. I really don't think you have the expertise to gauge what's harder to achieve (AIDS or reviving animals back from extinction).

Stupid thing of me to say.

I know that if a girl injests HIV+ infested semen, the mucous in her mouth/throat/etc is different from ******/***** cells and can bounce off the HIV apperently and make sure it doesn't digest into the cells directly. Once it's in the stomache, the acid literally burns the virus off.

HOW

Isn't there a way they can use that to prevent it or no. I'm not saying inject stomache acid into you're blood stream, but lets be real. We have knowledge of something that kills the virus.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #44
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it would be cool but deep down, cloning is just asking for trouble.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #45
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I think that part of it is fairly overblown in films. How talking to one person for five seconds could change whether they live or die and such. Besides, all I'm asking for is a few days of peace, love, and sound. Actually, if I could head to Monterey Pop, see AC/DC with Bon Scott, catch a late forties Yankees/Red Sox game, and dig SRV at Montreux, that'd be all right too.

It really isn't overblown. Time travel to the past creates major problems of philosophical causality. The most common example: the grandfather paradox. Imagine going back in time and killing your grandfather before he met your grandmother. Had this happened, one of your parents never would have been born, and you could have never been born. You've completely negated your existence. How, then, could you have gone back in time to kill your grandfather in the first place? As you can undoubtedly see, it is obviously logically problematic.

I do, however, think there are two potential ways of resolving the paradox. One is to accept a Multiverse of many parallel universes. If this is the case, your actions would only result in you taking the course of another universe, while your original timeline remains unaffected. The second explanation is the Novikov self-consistency principle. According to this principle, you would merely be unable to kill your grandfather if you attempted to do so. The proof of this is the fact that you exist. Some have speculated that this is problematic in regards to free will. This is not a valid complaint, however. After all, since when has anyone considered the logically impossible to be a constraint on free will? I can't, for instance, stand up and not stand up at the same time. That would be an absurd logical impossibility; and nobody in their right mind would say that I lack free will because of that. Proponents of the self-consistency principle would argue that changing the past is a similar logical impossibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Most physicists believe time travel will become feasible, but they're not sure how to get back. Going back in time is plausible, but getting back is tricky. Technically going back in time has already taken place; when you orbit the earth you go back in time just a fraction of a second.

It's actually time travel to the future that is seen as significantly more plausible than time travel to the past by most physicists. Because of the impact of time dilation, in the orbiting example you cite, one would actually be going slightly forwards in time. Whether or not travel to the past is permissable by the laws of physics is dependent upon whether or not traversable wormholes actually exist (not a given).

Something that's still interesting to note, however: you see into the past on a daily basis. Due to the the time it takes for light to travel to your eyes, you glimpse the past each time you open your eyes. On a small scale this is irrelevant. On a large scale, however, this could become significant. Looking up at the night sky, for example, is to catch sight of the heavens as they were thousands of years ago. The physicist J. Richard Gott once proposed a fascinating thought experiment in regards to this fact. He suggested planting a mirror thousands of light years away from the earth. Looking up from earth's most powerful telescopes humanity would be able to see itself as it was thousands of years ago. So even though humanity may never be able to physically travel to the past, viewing the earth's ancient past may not be entirely impossible.

Forward travel through time is really just a logistical problem at this point. Based upon Einsteinian predictions, and subjected by numerous empirical tests, our leading scientists are convinced that time dilation is a real force. It's only a question of building a ship capable of reaching a velocity near the speed of light in order to move significantly into the future.

Last edited by The Answer : 02-03-2009 at 01:33 PM.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: