Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Charles Darwin for Christians

Ok now i'm hoping the "normal" christians can understand how absurd this article is and i am assuming you do:

http://au.christiantoday.com/article...arwin/5287.htm

I am somewhere between amused and annoyed with this, its a fairly long article so here are some excerpts, this article was written in relation to the fact charles darwin is 200 years old and origin of species was written 150 years ago. you would think there would be at least mutual respect. but no, sadly this is probably the stupidest thing i have ever read.

Quote:
Weikart is judicious in his reasoning and conclusions, and does not draw a direct line from Darwin to Hitler. But he does not deny the connection: “In philosophical terms, Darwinism was a necessary, but not a sufficient, cause for Nazi ideology. But however logical or illogical the connections are between Darwinism and Nazism, historically the connections are there and they cannot be wished away.”

Quote:
He concludes his important work by arguing that both “the naturalistic worldview in general [and] biological evolution and Darwinism in particular” contributed to the devaluing of human life in Germany, resulting in both the eugenics movement and the Final Solution.

Quote:
Mention can also be made of Alfred Kinsey and the radical sex education movement which also finds its roots in the Darwinian view of humanity. West covers this in sordid detail, along with other contentious social issues of the day. For example, some evolutionary psychologists are now arguing that rape and adultery can be fully explained, if not excused, on a biological basis. All sexually deviant behaviour is simply the outworking of our evolutionary adaptation and programming. Kinsey sought to scientifically justify all sexualities, including bestiality and paedophilia.

wait what?

anyway, i am drunk and i can see this is terrible. i can't wait until i'm sober so i can completely take this article apart. if someone has a fark account submit it, this definatly needs to be taken down.

so what do you think? read the entire article, things get really crazy on the last page. i don't see how the editors thought "yeah this makes sense, lets post it"? its so far beyond reality i'm starting to think it is actually a joke?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Charles Darwin for Christians

So if it weren't for Charles Darwin we wouldn't have fascism or sexually deviant behavior. Makes sense to me.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default Re: Charles Darwin for Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Ok now i'm hoping the "normal" christians can understand how absurd this article is and i am assuming you do:

http://au.christiantoday.com/article...arwin/5287.htm
read the entire article, things get really crazy on the last page. i don't see how the editors thought "yeah this makes sense, lets post it"? its so far beyond reality i'm starting to think it is actually a joke?

please do read the whole article because the quotes you use are meant to argue the absurdity of the extreme conclusions of social and evolutionary darwinism.

here are the quotes from the article that can be seen as a "summary":

We have steadily become dehumanised and depersonalised as we have taken on board the logical implications of evolutionary materialism.

Scientific materialism, flowing forth from Darwin and the Neo-Darwinists, today underpins much of public policy in the West.

West reminds us, an “idea’s consequences may not be fully anticipated by its proponents”. So that does not mean that he avoids all responsibility for how those ideas panned out.

And West shows that the scientific materialism of Darwin and his colleagues led to plenty of destructive consequences, such as technocracy, utopianism, dehumanisation, and relativism.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: