Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Boothnasty
Saw a basketball once

Default Kobe 61 Point in Comparison

If I hear one more reporter, blogger, forum poster, or just one of my absolutely clueless friends who have the nerve to say Kobe Bryant’s performance was selfish and a sign of regression for the 2009 Los Angeles Lakers. This statement is absolutely ludicrous. Kobe Bryant helped his team win the game, which they did, and was aided by an excellent free throw shooting performance that indicated he was working to achieve quality shots. I can acknowledge the argument that he had 0 rebounds and 3 assists that may be indicative of Bryant being in “scoring” or “selfish” mode. Although I am disappointed in the lack of rebounds, their line up was rebound dominated by Gasol and Odom who combined for 28 of their 52 rebounds. Kobe Bryant took 31 shot attempts and was shooting a high percentage that resulted in an offensive goal of trying to get him open, rather than in a position to help crash the boards. Either way, I have no idea why I am trying to justify this to anyone. How can a basketball fan not look at the box score and see a 61% shooting performance with a remarkable 20 for 20 from the free throw to give the team a win; then saying that it was anything short of a spectacular performance.

Bryant did everything right in this game by making a statement and scoring 61 on a night that his starting center was told he would be out 8 to 12 weeks in a large venue at Madison Square Garden. The game may not have gone with Kobe having a triple double that apparently would have satisfied the basketball purists, but bottom line it was an impressive shooting night resulting in the most points ever scored in a New York NBA game. The most significant issue with the declaration of Bryant’s performance being selfish is that if Jordan had put on the same display then it would have been heralded as a dominant effort elevating the entire team on his back. I would never make the outrageous claim that Bryant needs to be put on an echelon with Jordan, but let us not hold such an obvious double standard that insults the integrity of the game. After reviewing the 11 games Jordan scored more than 55 points throughout his career, he had an average of 36 field goal attempts. Only 3 of those times were the field goal attempts less than Bryant’s 31, and 5 of those games Jordan took more than 38 field goal attempts. In only 2 of these games had Jordan made more than 20 free throws, but never as impressive as 20 for 20. These performances by Jordan were not considered selfish, or regression of the Bull’s teams, but rather dominant performances by the most dominant player the NBA may have ever witnessed.

Player Points FG Made FG Attempts FT Made FT Attempts
Jordan 69 23 37 21 23
Jordan 64 27 49 9 11
Jordan 63 22 41 19 21
Jordan 61 22 39 17 18
Jordan 61 22 38 17 21
Bryant 61 19 31 20 20
Jordan 59 21 27 17 19
Jordan 58 16 25 26 27
Jordan 57 22 37 7 8
Jordan 56 22 32 12 15
Jordan 56 20 30 12 13
Jordan 55 24 45 7 7

I think it is time we start respecting Bryant as a phenomenal individual performer, who has grown and matured throughout his career to an elite caliber player. He has had displayed his shortcomings, but more often he has risen to the challenge and put on some of the most unbelievable displays the NBA has seen. It’s finally time to waive the double standard for Bryant’s phenomenal on-court displays compared to other superstar performances we’ve seen over the last 30 years.
Boothnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Poodle Bark
Crazed nutcase. If my posts anger you, don't respond or read me

Default Re: Kobe 61 Point in Comparison

What's up, Kobe.
Poodle Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

*sigh* That article was written to point out that playing like that won't lead to success in the playoffs, period. If you can't understand the point of the author, please STFU.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Boothnasty
Saw a basketball once

Several of those games were Jordan playoff wins.... It can't happen every night, but a team can win a game behind a single persons dominating scoring performance.
Boothnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothnasty
Several of those games were Jordan playoff wins.... It can't happen every night, but a team can win a game behind a single persons dominating scoring performance.

That's Jordan, but he didn't just score points.

And as the article pointed out, Kobe couldn't win with individual domination against Boston last year. It's obvious a more balanced Kobe (the one referenced by the author where he was racking up the assists while remaining a scoring threat) is best suited for winning basketball games, especially in the playoffs on a team that expects to be a leading contender for the championship. Once again, if you can't grasp that, then don't bother replying.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
JJ81
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
*sigh* That article was written to point out that playing like that won't lead to success in the playoffs, period. If you can't understand the point of the author, please STFU.

Oh so it would have been better for him to not score and for them to lose the game? Okay.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
JJ81
Good college starter

How can you be disappointed by the 0 rebounds? He's a SG not a C! SGs rebounds come and go, you think he couldn't be bothered to rebound or something? That's ridiculous. This is proven by the fact that we beat them on the boards 52-41, it's not like his lack of rebounds cost us! How could he get rebounds with Pau and Lamar dominating the boards, they didn't need him to. So anyone who tries to downplay that performance by saying "he had 0 rebounds..." is a pathetic hater.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
JJ81
Good college starter

When Jordan went off and scored 55 I bet nobody said "Yeah but that's not gonna help his team" - What? Winning the game for his team isn't going to help his team?

Come on, it's not like his teammates are going to forget how to shoot just because he went and scored 60
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:

The author is wrong though. Shooting 61% from the field isn't hurting your team, even when you're shooting 31 shots. He's surely not shooting that much when he's not hot.
Playing good basketball means looking for the best shot possible on offense.

You guys are really grasping for straws trying to discredit Kobe's game. Pathetic
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ81
Oh so it would have been better for him to not score and for them to lose the game? Okay.
You totally missed the point, so I won't bother to try to explain it to you.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
These performances by Jordan were not considered selfish, or regression of the Bull’s teams

Actually a number of them were. Especially one vs the Magic. I remember a lot of talk about how Jordan being out there scoring 64 points or whatever it was is a sign that the bulls are taking a step back. He was into the well rounded mode then because he had the talent with him to pull back from his 35-37ppg days and play a more complete game. I nfact I think he had a bunch of triple double that season to that point and then he goes out and drops like 64 on the Magic. Bulls lost though. Shaq was beasting. There was a lot of talk about how if Jordan is playing that kind of game the Bulls arent winning.

It really wasnt that rare then. Jordan got praised for huge games just like Kobe but there were always people saying you cant win like that and that him being ao ne man army hurts the Bulls.Always someone ready to hate.

Cant be great and not be hated. There is nothing a player can do and not have someone find a problem with it. I bet Wilt got all kinds of hate for that 100 point game.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #12
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
The author is wrong though. Shooting 61% from the field isn't hurting your team, even when you're shooting 31 shots. He's surely not shooting that much when he's not hot.
Playing good basketball means looking for the best shot possible on offense.

Are you seriously this dense? The point was why have the Laker's offensive threat reduced to one player scoring a lot, especially in the context of the team's situation this year? When Kobe was facilitating more in the games referenced, not only was HE still a scoring threat, but by making plays, OTHER Lakers became scoring threats. So it was an entire team the defense had to worry about stopping. As was ALREADY POINTED OUT, Kobe's individual scoring "dominance" didn't deliver him against Boston. You people keep saying it's good basketball, but you can't seem to grasp the point about that article. If Kobe keeps playing this, he's taking a step backwards instead building on the previous games and becoming a more balanced threat like he was in 2003. This was about his play in the context of the Lakers trying to win a championship, not just one game against D'antoni's Knicks. How can people be this stupid?

Quote:
You guys are really grasping for straws trying to discredit Kobe's game. Pathetic
You are seriously a moron if you think that article (or me for that matter) was trying to "discredit" that performance. You can't even comprehend what the author was trying to point out.

Last edited by Showtime : 02-04-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #13
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Are you seriously this dense? The point was why have the Laker's offensive threat reduced to one player scoring a lot, especially in the context of the team's situation this year? When Kobe was facilitating more in the games referenced, not only was HE still a scoring threat, but by making plays, OTHER Lakers became scoring threats. So it was an entire team the defense had to worry about stopping. As was ALREADY POINTED OUT, Kobe's individual scoring "dominance" didn't deliver him against Boston. You people keep saying it's good basketball, but you can't seem to grasp the point about that article. If Kobe keeps playing this, he's taking a step backwards instead building on the previous games and becoming a more balanced threat like he was in 2003. This was about his play in the context of the Lakers trying to win a championship, not just one game against D'antoni's Knicks. How can people be this stupid?

When did I ever say I'd advocate Kobe playing Kobe-ball the rest of the season? It surely wouldn't work. However, if the opposing team is giving Kobe the opportunity to go 19-31 and 20-20, he should take it any time. It wasn't like New York was throwing triple teams and traps at Kobe like Boston did in the finals for example. Everyone, including Kobe, you and me, knows that you can't play only for yourself against those kinds of defenses.
So why act like Kobe has been hurting the Lakers with his play? D'Antoni even said they were giving him shots, trying to have him shoot the Lakers out of the game. If you're hot and hitting your shots, you should not turn them down.

Quote:
You are seriously a moron if you think that article (or me for that matter) was trying to "discredit" that performance. You can't even comprehend what the author was trying to point out.

Of course it's trying to discredit the performance as not conclusive to winning. It's obvious.

Last edited by Brunch@Five : 02-04-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
When did I ever say I'd advocate Kobe playing Kobe-ball the rest of the season? It surely wouldn't work.

"The author was wrong though"

The author's point was "KoMe" ball wasn't going to work. So, you apparently disagreed.

Quote:
However, if the opposing team is giving Kobe the opportunity to go 19-31 and 20-20, he should take it any time. It wasn't like New York was throwing triple teams and traps at Kobe like Boston did in the finals for example. Everyone, including Kobe, you and me, knows that you can't play only for yourself against those kinds of defenses.

First off, the point in the article wasn't just about one game. Second, you people are acting as if that's the ONLY way Kobe and the Lakers could win that game against that defense. It's not.

Quote:
So why act like Kobe has been hurting the Lakers with his play?

Because in the playoffs, that style WILL hurt the team. That was a major point of the article.

Quote:
D'Antoni even said they were giving him shots, trying to have him shoot the Lakers out of the game. If you're hot and hitting your shots, you should not turn them down.
Once again, it's not just about one game. I still can't understand why you can't grasp this. IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT ONE GAME.

My god, why do I have to explain what ANOTHER PERSON was trying to point out in some article? It's called reading comprehension people. Get some.

Last edited by Showtime : 02-04-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
"The author was wrong though"

The author's point was "KoMe" ball wasn't going to work. So, you apparently disagreed.

First off, the point in the article wasn't just about one game. Second, you people are acting as if that's the ONLY way Kobe and the Lakers could win that game against that defense. It's not.

Because in the playoffs, that style WILL hurt the team. That was a major point of the article.

Once again, it's not just about one game. I still can't understand why you can't grasp this. IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT ONE GAME.

My god, why do I have to explain what ANOTHER PERSON was trying to point out in some article? It's called reading comprehension people. Get some.

So why is everyone assuming Kobe is going to play Kome ball the rest of the season? Because he had one game out of 45 now where he played like that?
Major overreaction.

Quote:

re-read my post. I said as long as Kobe is playing KoMe ball when he's hot only, it's not hurting the team

Last edited by Brunch@Five : 02-04-2009 at 05:57 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: