Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Default Brand's season over; this will hurt the Sixers

Say what you want about the Elton Brand experience.

This doesn't hurt us THIS year. This is not, nor ever was, a championship contending team.

We needed Brand in this line-up to mesh with our young guys, for NEXT year. Iggy and T.Y. another year older and wiser and hopefully our Point Guard position would not be in limbo. More importantly, look at some of the better teams in the league. They get better through cohesion. Our last championship run was in 2000-01 season when the Sixers were criticized in the offseason for not bringing in any new faces. Despite that, they started off hot to a league best 41-14 record at the all-star break and probably could've cruised if Theo didn't get hurt, thus forcing the hand of Larry Brown and Billy King to move all the chips in and go for the championship, thus trading away our depth and stability for Mutombo.

Brand coexisting with this group would've worked eventually which is why I'm upset about Mo getting fired. They needed time.

You don't play championship basketball by being a run-and-gunnin' team. Those teams don't win. Look at the top teams the past few years (Lakers, Celts, Spurs, etc.). You have to execute in all facets of the game. The half-court game, the running game, you need to defend, you need to rebound the basketball and you need a perimeter game.

The Sixers can run, score and rebound. Their defense is slowly improving but they are not multi-faceted yet. The lack of cohesion due to Brand's impending absence will hurt now.

But it'll hurt much more later . . .
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Brand's season over; this will hurt the Sixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venja42
Say what you want about the Elton Brand experience.

This doesn't hurt us THIS year. This is not, nor ever was, a championship contending team.

We needed Brand in this line-up to mesh with our young guys, for NEXT year. Iggy and T.Y. another year older and wiser and hopefully our Point Guard position would not be in limbo. More importantly, look at some of the better teams in the league. They get better through cohesion. Our last championship run was in 2000-01 season when the Sixers were criticized in the offseason for not bringing in any new faces. Despite that, they started off hot to a league best 41-14 record at the all-star break and probably could've cruised if Theo didn't get hurt, thus forcing the hand of Larry Brown and Billy King to move all the chips in and go for the championship, thus trading away our depth and stability for Mutombo.

Brand coexisting with this group would've worked eventually which is why I'm upset about Mo getting fired. They needed time.

You don't play championship basketball by being a run-and-gunnin' team. Those teams don't win. Look at the top teams the past few years (Lakers, Celts, Spurs, etc.). You have to execute in all facets of the game. The half-court game, the running game, you need to defend, you need to rebound the basketball and you need a perimeter game.

The Sixers can run, score and rebound. Their defense is slowly improving but they are not multi-faceted yet. The lack of cohesion due to Brand's impending absence will hurt now.

But it'll hurt much more later . . .
I agree with a few of your points true a run-and-gun team dosen't win champoinships. The problem with this is we are not built for half court play. We are very limited offensively in what we can do no shooters or half court offense means this team is in serious trouble. I personally thought Brand was a big mistake simply because they brought in a strong half court player on a run-and-gun team. I can't see this team ever meshing unless we completely overhaul this team period. Rebuild it into a dominant half court team which we have not the guys for, especially the ones with long term deals.
I completely diagree with your point that we need to have Brand mesh with this team for next year unless we get the players like I said above that are going to play well in a half court set. Or the current players on our roster learn to play better in the half-court which I really doubt but i'll be optimistic about that. Our point guard position imo could be in trouble with Miller not resigned which I feel he won't and why would he. He will be 33 personally if I were that age I would be looking at a ring not staying on a young team who has no chance at winnning anything but maybe the 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. My point to this in the 2000-01 season we were settled at each position better than we are now. So going out and bringing in a Mutombo was an easier deal because we had a set team ready to compete this year we don't. You can't use that 2000-2001 team to judge this years team for the simple fact we don't even know what type of identity this team really has. First it was run-and-gun then Ed brings in Brand for low post help hoping Brand would run with us didn't quite work now we need shooting which he gave up our best shooter for Brand. Then Ed says he wants to build this team like the Pistons who are a stong half court team which makes me wonder wtf is this team going to be half court or run-and gun. All I have gathered from the Sixers this season is that Ed really dosen't know what the f**k he's doing.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 02-19-2009 at 03:13 PM.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: