Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far
Default Round 2 in the euroleague

As long as David Stern remains commissioner I will continue my ignoring of the nba. ESPN can ignore Tim Donaghy's accusations of "company men" influencing outcomes but they are still in the back of mind every time I see a major marketing team play.

The teams are a lot better this year and the competition is a lot more cut throat. Teams like Barcelona and Olympiacos that I believe are two of the three top tier contenders already have a lost. There are another nine teams that have an opportunity to suprise.

My take on maccabi is they are getting all they can from Dror Fischer and Carlos Arroyo. To make it to the second stage they need to at least keep it close at Real Madrid and a win would significantly help. Maccabi needs to get more out of Eliyahu and Casspi and a spectator can tell they put themselves out of plays because they are not on the same thought as their teammates. There's a fancy word for that called cognition. If it were the nba and the game all about one-on-one half court offense it wouldn't matter. I assume that Casspi and Eliyahu are considering the details when Carlos Arroyo isn't.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Round 2 in the euroleague

Whatever happens in the top 16 this is by far the most interesting group. It would have been more so if Alba would have beat Madrid as they should have.Real Madrid top it with 2 and 0 but both wins have come at the very end of games they were always trailing,this shows that they never give up but also thatt hey aren't a dominant team,I think Maccabi have options to beat them twice but also to lose both games,it will be predictably unpredictable.It is very close.Barca having complicated themselves losing a game they should have won in Madrid should beat Alba both times.They should also beat Madrid at home.If they do this the Tel Aviv game might not be so crucial, although I suspect that it could also be a tie between three with 4-2, in which case the fact barca beat macnazis by 20 might help.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Taras Bulba has an OK reputation so far

Olympiacos 1 out of 3 top contenders? There are 7!!! clubs with a better record than thenm and a couple pf other teams with the same record. Out of a total of 15 teams, excluding Olympiakos. I'd say Olympiacos is an average Top16 Euroleague club at the moment. Nothing more.

Maccabi needs more form Eliyahu? He has been playing the basketball of his life since regular season's 2nd round (when Gershon arrived). He can't play better than this.

If you think Olympiacos and Maccabi are the favorites you are mistaken and obviously don't watch the ACB, or even Panathinaikos.
Taras Bulba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
Olympiacos 1 out of 3 top contenders? There are 7!!! clubs with a better record than thenm and a couple pf other teams with the same record. Out of a total of 15 teams, excluding Olympiakos. I'd say Olympiacos is an average Top16 Euroleague club at the moment. Nothing more.

Maccabi needs more form Eliyahu? He has been playing the basketball of his life since regular season's 2nd round (when Gershon arrived). He can't play better than this.

If you think Olympiacos and Maccabi are the favorites you are mistaken and obviously don't watch the ACB, or even Panathinaikos.

I don't think maccabi or panathinaikos are favorites. I think they are second tier teams that have the talent for an upset but they way either team is managed that's not going to happen. My top tier is CSKA, Olympiacos and Barcelona and one of those teams should be the champion.

Eliyahu can be a lot better if he gelled with the team better, same with Casspi. It's neither's fault that they don't because the management at maccabi is weak. Maccabi benefitted from the old political climate that refused to support another team. With the change of the political climate, new arenas are going to be built and maccabi will finally have domestic competition.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
I don't think maccabi or panathinaikos are favorites. I think they are second tier teams that have the talent for an upset but they way either team is managed that's not going to happen. My top tier is CSKA, Olympiacos and Barcelona and one of those teams should be the champion.

Eliyahu can be a lot better if he gelled with the team better, same with Casspi. It's neither's fault that they don't because the management at maccabi is weak. Maccabi benefitted from the old political climate that refused to support another team. With the change of the political climate, new arenas are going to be built and maccabi will finally have domestic competition.
I understand that Barcelona and CSKA are favorites and share the same opinion but what makes you think this about Olympiacos? I mean, have you even watched them play this season? And if yes, what makes you think they are favorites? They lost away to Cibona, Unicaja, Maccabi, AJ Milano and at home to Le Mans. This means they are at best an average team, especially away and ending 2nd in their Top16 group they will play the quarter final knockouts with a home disadvantage.

Not to mention that Panathinaikos beat them with a blow-out win.

What is wrong with Panathinaikos' management if I may ask? They have the same coach for 10 seasons now, which is very rare to see in Europe and one of the wealthiest chairmen around who shop the best players. I really can't see anything terribly wrong in the way they are being managed, on the contrary.

As for Maccabi, they have competition as it is, in fact they lost the Israeli Finals last season. But they have a contract with Euroleague, so they will play there even if they finish 8th in the league, for example.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Panathinaikos was a disappointment last year and I have a prejudice we'll same the same this year. My bias of Panathinaikos is they're built around old players that the euroleague passed by. The quality of the euroleague when Saras J. was at his best, a star is no where close to the quality of the euroleague today. The best sports competition outside of fiba soccer right now is the euroleague and Unicaja, Maccabi, Cibona, and AJ Milano are part of that. I refuse to acknowledge Le Manns as an euroleague team.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

From the way you write I see that you are an American.

I think you are missing some things. You are using some really strange terms. What is fiba soccer? And what it has to do with Euroleague or basketball? I honestly don't understand.

As for Panathinaikos, yes they were a disappointment last year but won the domestic League and Cup over Olympiacos, so that makes Olympiacos a bigger disappointment no?

Panathinaikos is not built around Saras, he is not even starting. He is just one of the 9-10 rotation payers. And the oldest one.

Regardless of Panathinaikos now, I am just curious to know what have you seen in Olympiacos that you appreciated so highly that you favorite them for the Euroleague title, I would love to receive an answer on this.

As for Euroleague quality, the Maccabi that Saras used to play in with Saras, Burstein, Parker, Baston and Vijcic would still kick if they played today.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

In America football is about rich white owners trying to be socially relevant and the center of attention by associated themselves with the popular people. The popular crowd risk their personal welfare as they play a kids game for millions.

It's only an opinion but the last maccabi dynasty would be mediocre in today's euroleague. The competition is that much better today.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Panathinaikos was a disappointment last year and I have a prejudice we'll same the same this year. My bias of Panathinaikos is they're built around old players that the euroleague passed by. The quality of the euroleague when Saras J. was at his best, a star is no where close to the quality of the euroleague today. The best sports competition outside of fiba soccer right now is the euroleague and Unicaja, Maccabi, Cibona, and AJ Milano are part of that. I refuse to acknowledge Le Manns as an euroleague team.

I am not going to say that Panathinaikos will win the Euroleague, because I think it's up for grabs amongst several teams, but in all seriousness they are by far and away the most talented and deepest team in the Euroleague on paper. Of course many times the best team on paper loses (just look at Team US this decade for proof of that), but nonetheless if Panathinaikos plays up to its ability it would definitely win the Euroleague IMO.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Quote:
In America football is about rich white owners trying to be socially relevant and the center of attention by associated themselves with the popular people. The popular crowd risk their personal welfare as they play a kids game for millions.

It's only an opinion but the last maccabi dynasty would be mediocre in today's euroleague. The competition is that much better today.
Still don't understand what you are trying to say and you sitll haven't answer my question... but who cares anyway?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
Still don't understand what you are trying to say and you sitll haven't answer my question... but who cares anyway?

It's the opinion I have that Olympiacos will finish stronger than panathanikos. I think Panathanikos record is better than the roster or the team.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Quote:
It's the opinion I have that Olympiacos will finish stronger than panathanikos. I think Panathanikos record is better than the roster or the team.
I know it is your opinion, that is why I want to know the facts you base your opinion(s). Isn't that the purpose of a forum? Instead of just making statements and move on?

Anyway. Panathinaikos has a pretty good roster which pretty much reflects their record.

Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Fotsis, Tsartsaris, Pereroglou all Greek Internationals.
Jasikevicius a Lithuanian International.
Pekovic a Montengrin International.
Kecman a Serb International.
Batiste one of the best US big guys in the Euroleague.
Nicholas one of the US scoring guys in the Euroleague.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

CSKA is my favorite to win it all.
Holden, Langdon, Siskauskas, Smodis, Lorbek, Morris, Khryapa, and Zisis is as deep a team as you'll find.

Panathinaikos is going further than Olympiakos now that Childress is out, they've got the best back court in Europe.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

CSKA didn't look like a champion today and I'm calling Pana a bust now.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Do not write off CSKA just yet.

They are in a reconstruction phase and are missing some key players like Papaloukas, Andersen and Goree who left.

On the other hand they got as good players as those who left, like Planinic,Lorbek and Morris, they just need to gel together.

Plus Siskauskas and Smodis will step up in the big games.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: