Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Tizzle
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Tizzle has an OK reputation so far
Default Felton/Tynsley Trade talks....

Just read this on ESPN and found it interesting. Take a look and let me know what you guys think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3897431

The Indiana Pacers and Charlotte Bobcats have engaged in serious discussions on a multiplayer trade centered around point guards Jamaal Tinsley and Raymond Felton, multiple sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.

Tinsley

Felton

The discussions between the teams have been ongoing for weeks, though the parameters and pieces have continually changed. If the deal comes to fruition, the sources said, it would likely include Tinsley, Jeff Foster and a third player (Brandon Rush, Stephen Graham, Marquis Daniels) going to the Bobcats for Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May.

One source said there was only one team other than the Bobcats interested in Tinsley, who has been told to stay away from the Pacers since the start of training camp while Indiana tries to trade him. Tinsley has two years remaining on his contract after this season for $7.2 million and $7.5 million, making the task of moving him even more difficult for Indiana president Larry Bird. The sources who spoke to ESPN.com indicated the current hangups in the Bobcats-Pacers talks included:

The Bobcats' insistence on including Mohammed in any deal, with Charlotte wanting to get rid of his remaining two years ($6.4 and $6.9) in return for assuming Tinsley's guarantee.

How much value Charlotte would get in return for Felton, who becomes a restricted free agent July 1 (and whose asking price, the Bobcats fear, will be more than they are willing to pay.)

Three sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described the discussions as "active," though none would go so far as to say a Tinsley-Felton deal was likely prior to the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline.

The sources also said the Bobcats and Pacers had discussed a different version of a Felton-Tinsley deal earlier this season that included Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown, the two players the Bobcats ended up dealing to the Los Angeles Lakers last week for Vladimir Radmanovic.

"It may be short... but at least it's skinny!;)"
Tizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Felton/Tynsley Trade talks....

Comparing stats, Foster definitely has it over Nazr.
I really like Daniels.
Comparing Felts and Tinsley, well, considering Tinsley's career stats (he has no stats for this season) and Felts this season stats (because it's closer to what he's capable of thanks to LB): the two players are basically evenly matched except Felts is a better FT shooter. Felts averaged nearly 8 minutes more playing time than Tinsley. If playing times were equal then Tinsley might come out on top of Felts (but not by much) because he'd have 8 more minutes a game to add to his stats. But why would we take a 7-year vet over Felts who can give us many more years and who, along with Crash, is our heart and soul?
So IMO I would not trade Felts for Tinsley. However if we could get Foster and Daniels I'd be willing to give up May, Ajinca and Nazr. Of course I'm not looking at the financials of all of this. That's definitely not my dept.
(Spectre, where art thou?)
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA oh God I hope this deal happens. Tinsley may be a thug but we have a good group of guys in Charlotte and they'll definitely have more of a positive impact on him than the other way around.

Jeff Foster > Nazr any day of the week.

Anyone else on the Pacers roster >>>>>>> May in his lifetime. Indiana would be getting raped if they gave up Daniels, which is what I'm hoping for.

MEGA props to the Charlotte FO for working some miracles this year.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

I think this would be a great trade for Charlotte, and an idiotic trade for Indiana. if you are Indiana why exactly would you trade for Felton when you have TJ Ford unless you want his expiring contract? Charlotte on the other hand gets a nice backup PG for Augustine, and in the process gets rid of Mohammeds contract, and lazy Sean May. Acquiring Foster, Daniels and/or Rush would help the bench immediately.

I would not include Ajinca in this deal however.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA oh God I hope this deal happens. Tinsley may be a thug but we have a good group of guys in Charlotte and they'll definitely have more of a positive impact on him than the other way around.

Jeff Foster > Nazr any day of the week.

Anyone else on the Pacers roster >>>>>>> May in his lifetime. Indiana would be getting raped if they gave up Daniels, which is what I'm hoping for.

MEGA props to the Charlotte FO for working some miracles this year.

Do you really think we'd be better off with Tinsley rather than Felts? We will lose Felts to free agency only if he's about the money more than staying with the Cats. I don't see why Felts would automatically refuse a decent offer from us and the FO is assuming he will go only for the money and therefore leave Charlotte.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Felton is about to receive his first large contract so I doubt hometown discounts are going to be involved. This is a safe way to get a good backup and solidify our bench without losing Felton for nothing.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Felton is about to receive his first large contract so I doubt hometown discounts are going to be involved. This is a safe way to get a good backup and solidify our bench without losing Felton for nothing.

I understand what you're saying. Begrudgingly. But I understand. At least if we do get Tinsley it's not like he's another Jeff McInnis.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

In getting Tinsley for Felton, you have to weigh the pros and cons. Felton's a stand up guy, Tinsley's an expressive trouble making thug. Felton is going to be held back by Augustin's progress and vice versa, whereas Tinsley will come in here knowing his role, as a veteran, possibly a backup, and teaching a young kid the ropes. The thing with Tinsley is that he would come into an environment where the players don't have off-court baggage, whereas Indiana doesn't have the best players kids should look up to, though their FO is doing a good job of getting rid of those guys. At this point, you have to look at the present rather than the future. We've gotten to the future as far as I'm concerned, and Tinsley is a solid, consistent performer whereas Felton is hit and miss every game.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

So Bell and Crash and Mek will slap the **** out of Tinsley if he tries to do the thug thing in Charlotte? That's a good thing. I don't think the fans out here will put up with any off-court crap either.

You see those 4 ****s above? I didn't do that. I said a really bad word and the family-friendly censors did the rest.

Last edited by onewickedlady : 02-10-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

It'll be even better if we can get Nesterovic instead of Foster, cus in half a season Nesterovic's gone leaving Charlotte some cap room.

I recommend choosing Brandon Rush over Marquis Daniels.

Tinsley + Foster + Daniels = $20 million while Felton + Nazr + May = $13 million.
That $7 million difference has to be filled up by someone, possibly Wallace (I'll kill Jordan if this occurs), Diop (not sure if we can trade him), and Ajinca.

Anyway, this trade seems beneficial to Charlotte no matter who are the actual players traded.

We will have a damn good chance of making the playoffs.

BETTER TELL ALL PLAYERS TO STAY IN CHARLOTTE TO PRACTICE...NO DAY OFFS !!! NO OVERTIME WAGES TOO!!!
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Give us Rush and done deal. Felton, Nazr, May for Tinsley, Foster, Rush. This deal accomplishes exactly what I said we would need yesterday to make a Felton deal worth while (quality PG and SG). Why Indiana would do this deal though, I have no idea. Obviously, we are forcing May and Nazr on them but the deal works mathematically without May and Rush.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...0~30&te=&cash=

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 02-10-2009 at 09:05 PM.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Yes but why would we pass on letting May go?! This would be the greatest year in Bobcats history if we dumped the two most disappointing players in the franchise's short history in a span of 3 weeks.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

I just remembered.... I'd also expect Rush to be a part of this deal b/c of Brown's connection with Kansas; I know he was very close/active with last years team.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Here's what Bonnell has to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...-no-given.html

February 10, 2009
Felton-for-Tinsley deal no given
I'd be careful about putting too much weight in that espn.com story, suggesting the Charlotte Bobcats and Indiana Pacers are in "serious'' discussions about swapping packages including Raymond Felton and Jamaal Tinsley.
Chris Sheridan is a very good reporter. However, I just had a conversation with a knowledgeable source who said there's little or nothing "active'' about talks between the Pacers and Bobcats. They have talked, off and on, for a long time and the Bobcats are open to taking Tinsley. But the way I hear it, the Pacers aren't receptive to doing what it would take to make a deal (as in take bad contracts and give up good players).
Here's what is true: The Bobcats are undecided about how best to deal with Felton becoming a restricted free agent. Michael Jordan said as much Monday in a conference call with me and Associated Press reporter Mike Cranston. Jordan said his intent was to re-sign Felton, but he added that doesn't make Felton untouchable with the Feb. 19 trade deadline looming.
Some other things I found interesting in the Jordan interview:
-- He questions whether the "Summer of LeBron'' -- the 2010 free-agent class -- will involve as many stars changing teams as some would speculate. Jordan said the Collective Bargaining Agreement gives such advantages to the retaining teams (longer contracts, larger raises) that it would be foolish for the Bobcats to hoard cap room in anticipation of making a star signing. I have to say his reasoning is sound on this, but i still wonder if it's best for them to already have $52 million-plus in cap obligations two seasons away.
-- When I asked him about drafting Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown -- two rare top-3 draft misses -- Jordan said that's the gamble involved in selecting high school players or players who weren't tested in elite college conferences. He also mentioned European players, which I guess covers the Detroit Pistons selecting Darko Milicic second overall.
-- I was impressed by Jordan's reaction when I asked him why more fans aren't engaged by an improving team. Jordan might be one of the world's richest athletes, but he gets it that plenty of others are hurting in this economy, and it's no given they would make sports tickets a priority.
-- Jordan made sure to re-emphasize his interest in buying more shares in the Bobcats. I think he'll end up owning controlling interest, although I don't think that happens anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

We'd be taking on more salary overall OWL.

I think this is only a thought because of management's worry in regards to Felton's RFA. If it wasn't for that I don't think we'd be having the discussion.

Chk Bonnell's blog for his Q&A with Jordan...great stuff.

1st, I think Tinsley is a big negative. It'd take him a while to get into game shape and I'd be concerned it'd cost us what little hope we have for this post season. Foster for Nazr is good kicker though, and adding Rush...tho he's not exactly set the NBA world on fire...would probably make it worthwhile.

IF the rumor is true that Felton's agent is already playing hardball I'd probably lean towards doing it, but only for that reason.

BTW, in Bonnell's latest blog (and a promised article due out today) he says it's nowhere close to happening.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: