Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Default I want to steal the Hornets...by Brian Robinson

Quote:
Are you happy now? I said it.

The Hornets have been in their market for only what 5 years? There is no long term attachment. But that is not the reason that I don’t feel bad about taking them the way Clay Bennett took our team.

I would feel little remorse in taking that team because when I look at that city and I realize that they are paying money out of the states general funds for professional sports I wind up all Chris VanDykish on the subject. In the past years I have really transitioned away from “give the NBA a blank check” mentality to “It is absolutely worth doing if we get the right deal.” Lousiana has the wrong deal and they have it at the wrong time. If our city suffered a devastating earthquake this year, had to rebuild the viaduct and had massive infrastructure problems I would be advising people that we cannot afford the NBA. I think that is the situation New Orleans finds themselves in. They were poorer than us to begin with, are much poorer now, and have major Katrina related issues remaining. If they have to give Tyson Chandler away to save money for George Shinn will they see similar ticket sales next year for a worse product in a worse economy? How much will the city/state have to pay then. It isn’t right.I get righteous indignation when I think that money would go away from school rebuilding, roads, and infrastructure and instead be used as a cash payment towards the Hornets and NBA. I think that it is the wrong thing to do.

I’ve said for a couple of years that there are reasons the Hornets could wind up moving sooner rather than later. These comments were based on communication I had with people in New Orleans and also financial analysts affiliated with Forbes Magazine who prepare financial evaluations for professional sports teams. There was a consistency in these peoples comments that the state of Lousianna was going to have to put money into their pro sports teams that they didn’t have. Last year the estimate for the Hornets was between $11 and $14M CASH. There was a comment directly from a city official that the city could only afford one franchise and it would choose the Saints.

So now there is starting to be documented evidence of this fact. What happens when the city says bluntly “we don’t have the cash.” George Shinn says “I can’t afford to let you out of your deal.”

http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=2319
Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
nesgodawg
I brick open layups

Default Re: I want to steal the Hornets...by Brian Robinson

To Hornet fans, I'm sorry if they team does end up in Seattle. We want a team and we would accept the Hornets if they can not survive economically in NO.

www.ihateclay.com
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Sonic fans, I know you're pissed, and rightfully so, but some of you need to get over it. Don't be mad at OKC, don't be mad at Stern (ok maybe Stern), any of the players, be mad at Bennett. Any Seattle-ite who openly roots for NO to go bellyup has his Thunder hating card immediately revoked. I applaud Seattle for openly refusing to give in to the demands of a greedy owner, now you're ready to supply a refuge for the same type of scenario?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
tedloc
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Sonic fans, I know you're pissed, and rightfully so, but some of you need to get over it. Don't be mad at OKC, don't be mad at Stern (ok maybe Stern), any of the players, be mad at Bennett. Any Seattle-ite who openly roots for NO to go bellyup has his Thunder hating card immediately revoked. I applaud Seattle for openly refusing to give in to the demands of a greedy owner, now you're ready to supply a refuge for the same type of scenario?

well firstly the scenario is a little bit different... clay bennet bought the team and gutted it so that it would do poorly and lose money. just so he could move it.... new orleans just doesn't have the economy to support the team in the near future...

that being said. there isn't any reason to hate on the good fans of the hornets. it's one of the few revenue makers in the city and a bright spot in a time of hardship. i wish the city and the fans the best of luck.

i'm all on board if you wanna rip clayvid bennestern.

seatlle will have another franchise... and hopefully an expansion that they can cleanly name the Supersonics... not the superhornets, superbucks or superkings...
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Copperhead
Local High School Star

First of all, all you people need to get out of here with this crap. Tell brian whoever to kiss my a**.

I don't want to see any city lose it's team but perhaps they'd better look at the Kings. Seattle didn't do what it had to do to keep it's team. Now they're acting like vultures circling New Orleans in hopes of getting it's team. The Hornets are doing fine in New Orleans, in spite of what people want to think. They have sponsorships as well as season ticket sales. Better than they have in the past. And they're doing pretty well for a small market that has 2 pro teams. No one knows what the economy of the future will look like but right now, the Hornets are doing fine. People going around talking about the Hornets are broke. Where are the numbers that say they are broke? Shinn and his minority owner (who happens to be richer than Shinn) are business owners. They, just like all other owners have to manage their business and payrolls just like everyone else so they WON'T GO BROKE. But I guess this only applies to the Hornets as long as they are in New Orleans.

Quote:
For nearly a decade, the Kings have struggled to replace aging Arco Arena. Deals have fallen through. A public vote went against them.

Now, the club is losing money, its frustrated owners say. The team's play is, well, awful. Fans are staying away.

And at least two not-so-distant cities, Anaheim and San Jose, say they'd love to welcome the Kings or any NBA team into their waiting arenas.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/1621883.html

Quote:
The Hornets, for the first time since relocating to New Orleans from Charlotte, N.C., in 2002, are experiencing unmatched ticket sales and attendance figures that in larger markets and better financial times would not be unusual. But in this time and place it is, as Hornets President Hugh Weber said, "an interesting story."
Quote:
The Hornets, thanks in part to last season's record-setting number of wins, Western Conference contention and MVP candidate Chris Paul, this season sold nearly 11,000 season tickets, including 5,310 full packages. That is an increase of 102 percent from last season. They also sold all the suites in the New Orleans Arena, sold 6,000 new season-ticket packages and had a 90-percent renewal rate for season tickets.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...870.xml&coll=1

Quote:
Eleven NBA teams were recognized for having full-season-ticket sales of at least 10,000 when league officials handed out awards during their annual marketing meetings recently held in Phoenix.

Last year, 10 NBA teams reached the 10,000 full-season-ticket sales mark.

The teams this year eclipsing the 10,000 full-season-ticket sales mark are the Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans Hornets, Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Toronto Raptors and Utah Jazz. New to the list this season are the Celtics, Bulls, Hornets, Blazers and Thunder. Dropping off the 10,000 full-season sales list are the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat.

Quote:
Through Jan. 19, the NBA is averaging 17,244 fans per game, up 0.9 percent to date from last season. The Pistons lead the NBA in attendance with an average of 22,076 fans per game. The Sacramento Kings are last in the NBA in average attendance with 12,277 fans per game. The Kings also have the largest attendance decrease in the NBA with an 11.6 percent drop at the gate. The New Orleans Hornets have the highest attendance gain with a 38.6 percent increase to an average of 16,976 fans per game

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61342

Last edited by Copperhead : 02-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread